First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Not a fan of turbochargers or inline 4 cylinder engines. Turbos fail sooner than I would want to be working on one and 4 cylinder engines just vibrate more the V style engines.

It's just my personal choice.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
So this is probably been talked about before but I really want some reviews on who has what engine and how do you like it?

iā€™m going with the automatic but I was so intent on getting the 3.6 L. But I drove a 2.0 liter turbo for about 10 minutes and the low end torque and power was amazing lol. It had a lot more get up and go off the line than the V-6. And i liked that!!!

iā€™m looking to get a brand new 2021 or 2022. I do a good amount of my driving on the highway. If you have one engine over the other, how do you like it? I might do a small lift and 33s but itā€™s my daily driver so nothing too extreme. Is there one engine better than the other? Iā€™m not worried about miles per gallon, that doesnā€™t phase me one bit because my truck now gets 12 lol. But I do see the 2.0 liter turbo gets a little bit better miles per gallon but nonetheless what engine do you have and how do you like it? Thank you so much
Most people with the 3.6 love theirs and most people with the 2.0 love theirs. So get the one you liked best after test driving.

I love my 3.6 with the auto and would buy it again. You mention fuel economy and even though it's not a concern of yours, I have gotten up to 24.9 MPG average over a 308.7 mile interval commuting to work but I also didn't buy it based on fuel efficiency.

As far as reliability, I don't think you could go wrong with either motor...

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I think that most drivers would be well-served by either engine, so based on how hard it can be in some places to get a Wrangler, you may not want to be too picky.

Having said that, I did drive both engines in the city and on the highway. I did like the 2.0, as it is very torquey and really pulls well. If that was my only choice, I would have gladly lived with it. However, the 3.6 felt more inline with my personal character, if that makes sense in the slightest to anyone else. It is missing some mid-range torque compared to the 2.0, but otherwise, it is just a smooth engine that never seems to work all that hard. Plus, I like things with proven reliability records and while the 2.0 seems reliable, the 3.6 has a better track record.

Honestly, make the engine one of your secondary decisions ā€¦ pick the model you want and be happy with whatever engine you can get the best deal on during this interesting time.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Tested and True. 3.6 will outlast a 2.0 turbo.
All turbos have problems sooner or later.
Why go with the extra expense?
Interesting...this was my perspective upon purchase as well.

Right now, my Jeep, with the 3.6, is sitting in the Service bay at the Dealer, because the lifters collapsed and shaved off the lobes on the Cam. ...filled the motor with metal shavings. Service writer said it was a very common problem.

The good ol tried and true 3.6.

I recommend the 2.0.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Go to the Jeep dealer and drive them both (new or used). I like rowing my own gears, so FCA/Stellantis made the decision for me. This has been beat to death on this forum with fans on both sides. Good luck on your decision, but I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
the lifters collapsed and shaved off the lobes on the Cam. ...filled the motor with metal shavings. Service writer said it was a very common problem.
I'm curious what the major issue is with the lifters on these engines? They couldn't be a radically new design, does it come down to a manufacturing problem on a part that costs $0.50 to make? Some 3.6 Pentastar engines go super long, others don't.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Its up to you, the individual. I personally liked the 3.6. I drove the 2.0 Turbo and didn't initially like the jumpiness it seemed to have. But I really think I could have gotten used to it. People say its a great engine. I just like the good old fashioned 3.6. Works better for me. Its all subjective so drive what you like.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I'm curious what the major issue is with the lifters on these engines? They couldn't be a radically new design, does it come down to a manufacturing problem on a part that costs $0.50 to make? Some 3.6 Pentastar engines go super long, others don't.
It's a great question. I have no idea. And I agree, I have a neighbor on either side, one with a Gladiator, one with a JKUR, both with the 3?6 with zero issues.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So this is probably been talked about before but I really want some reviews on who has what engine and how do you like it?

iā€™m going with the automatic but I was so intent on getting the 3.6 L. But I drove a 2.0 liter turbo for about 10 minutes and the low end torque and power was amazing lol. It had a lot more get up and go off the line than the V-6. And i liked that!!!

iā€™m looking to get a brand new 2021 or 2022. I do a good amount of my driving on the highway. If you have one engine over the other, how do you like it? I might do a small lift and 33s but itā€™s my daily driver so nothing too extreme. Is there one engine better than the other? Iā€™m not worried about miles per gallon, that doesnā€™t phase me one bit because my truck now gets 12 lol. But I do see the 2.0 liter turbo gets a little bit better miles per gallon but nonetheless what engine do you have and how do you like it? Thank you so much
Take a handful of test drives of both engines, and go with the one that you like more. That's the best advice you could possibly get from anyone and anywhere.

Also, beware of false claims masked as fact. Not many actual mechanics here. They're easy to spot, as there's no details to support the claims. That's one of the biggest reasons why many find these engine threads to be tiresome.

Best of luck with your decision!
Sponsored