Sponsored

3.6 trade to 4xe

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
One thing I will say, check your fuses.

a few weeks back it was deep snow and I was horseplaying, I don't know if that was enough to make a loose fuse situation worse, but the Turtle came on and so did the Check Engine Light.

I limped home sheepishly, I was only a couple of blocks away.

Let the 4xe sit as I tried finding a way to get the error code, need a reader, not like the JK where there it a key sequence.

I went down, a lot of fuses and relays were loose, started up fine, then I decided to drive to the dealer because of the CEL, then I jumped out unscrew the gas cap, and screwed it back in, then continued to the dealership no issue, they didn't have time to look at it, said come back the next day, after I left the dealer I notice the CEL was gone.

I drove about 3 hours that night around town, horseplaying a little, nothing else happened, and I didn't bother going back to the dealer.

I put a reminder in my phone to check the fuses once a month just in case.
Sponsored

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep TJ, 2012 Acura MDX, 2017 BMW i3
I spent many hours on the 4xe forum and the one common denominator is that 4xe owners believe the 4xe should run in battery only (EV mode) and when the battery drains out the Jeep will run on gas.

Much like a power generator at home when lights go out the generator kicks in and when the lights come back up the generator stops. It sure makes sense to all of us but that is not how the 4xe’s complex PHEV system works.

If the 4xe worked following that simple linear ON/OFF theory then the owner's gripes would not be there but that is not the case.

Apparently the 2.0T powerplant’s fuel system is always pressurized for quick start and for whatever reason gas finds its way into the oil, with owners report strong fuel smell from the dipstick or even higher levels.

This contamination requires the engine to “self clean” by running the ICE engine for long periods of time to scrub the oil. This mode of operation has many 4xe users pissed off as their batteries are fully charged but no EV mode is to be had. That is the equivalent of the power company restoring the service but the home’s power generator keeps on running and eating up the gas.

Many 4xe owners reason that if they drive their 4xe 20 miles or less a day they expect it to run in EV mode and run little or no gas. Again it makes perfect sense, but that is not how the 4xe works. That "oil scrubbing" function suddenly shows up and breaks the EV ON/OFF cycl, which is one of the reasons they bought the 4xe for. This is one of the main points of frustration for 4xe owners.

Finally, EV owners know winter is no friend of EVs and range goes down quite a bit. The problem is that the limited range of the 4xe exaggerates these loses. It is reported that after certain temperatures (10 degrees or less) the 4xe will not go into EV mode at all, further irritating owners.

As an EV owner, the 4xe is great in theory but as Yogi Berra said, "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is".

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I spent many hours on the 4xe forum and the one common denominator is that 4xe owners believe the 4xe should run in battery only (EV mode) and when the battery drains out the Jeep will run on gas.

Much like a power generator at home when lights go out the generator kicks in and when the lights come back up the generator stops. It sure makes sense to all of us but that is not how the 4xe’s complex PHEV system works.

If the 4xe worked following that simple linear ON/OFF theory then the owner's gripes would not be there but that is not the case.

Apparently the 2.0T powerplant’s fuel system is always pressurized for quick start and for whatever reason gas finds its way into the oil, with owners report strong fuel smell from the dipstick or even higher levels.

This contamination requires the engine to “self clean” by running the ICE engine for long periods of time to scrub the oil. This mode of operation has many 4xe users pissed off as their batteries are fully charged but no EV mode is to be had. That is the equivalent of the power company restoring the service but the home’s power generator keeps on running and eating up the gas.

Many 4xe owners reason that if they drive their 4xe 20 miles or less a day they expect it to run in EV mode and run little or no gas. Again it makes perfect sense, but that is not how the 4xe works. That "oil scrubbing" function suddenly shows up and breaks the EV ON/OFF cycl, which is one of the reasons they bought the 4xe for. This is one of the main points of frustration for 4xe owners.

Finally, EV owners know winter is no friend of EVs and range goes down quite a bit. The problem is that the limited range of the 4xe exaggerates these loses. It is reported that after certain temperatures (10 degrees or less) the 4xe will not go into EV mode at all, further irritating owners.

As an EV owner, the 4xe is great in theory but as Yogi Berra said, "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is".
Yeah, I think the colder temp is throwing a lot of people for a loop, and misinformation is all over the place. People assume the FORM mode is just refreshing the fuel and should shut off after 30 minutes, but in some cases, it's also looking to get the oil temp up to a certain temperature and in the cold weather, it isn't happening, so they get left in FORM mode for extended periods of time.

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep TJ, 2012 Acura MDX, 2017 BMW i3
I dont think anything can replace the tj lol. Maybe starting planning on a Tesla battery/motor swap when the 4.0 goes?
Its a young TJ with 27K miles... The 4.0 not even broken in. But my EV charger is just inches away from where the 4xe would have been parked.... :(
Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6 trade to 4xe IMG_0590

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I like to bag to differ on the premium. with the 3.6L my jeep had timing pinging until i changed to 91 octane fuel. Since changing to premium I gain 2 MPG on avg and no longer had any timing pinging. 3.6L runs 100% better on premium fuel. And as for the 4Xe i myself wouldnt recommend it to the great North neighbors in Canada. The Lithium Batteries HATE the cold and Prematurely fail. Had a buddy that owned his Tesla just over a year with the norther part of the USA and ended hacing to drop 15K in batteries. I think Electric cars are great but not in cold weather. Batteries Do Not Like the Cold. never have never will
Well what I wrote about our Northern Neighbors I was talking about their very cheap electricity rates vs their high gas prices. I agree these things are not working that well in the cold. Anyway my northern neighbors in Coastal BC don't really get all that cold most of the year.

As far as premium I think you are more of an exception. I am very surprised a stock 3.6 would benefit from it. 2.0 yes Be interested in the type of driving you do. I think most people have the impression that higher octane equals higher energy. It does not. Now if you have a high compression engine then you need higher octane to stop the gas igniting before you want it to. Now I have a Toyota FJ and it says premium fuel only but Toyota came out and said that regular is fine for most instances but if I am towing or in the mountains should use premium. I always use premium .

Sponsored

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
That's not what it says... it's 30% have had "some sort of problem", not a "serious" problem. 13.2% of those remain as single unresolved, 5.7% multiple issues unresolved.

I'm one of the "single issue, resolved" groups that add up to your 30% and my issue was the ball joints needing to be tightened.

Someone else posted because of busted windshield wiper linkage.

There is nothing about the question or answers that deals with the seriousness of the issue. I would say that anything in the "unresolved" group could be a more serious issue (or it could be a recent issue they haven't had looked at yet).

I'm in multiple 4xe groups and forums, I see the complaints, issues etc. I'm not suggesting there are none, but there's no reason to misrepresent what is posted and shared either.
Let’s agree that almost 20% of people have 1 or more unresolved 4xe problems. I lived on the 4xe before and while my order was pending. We both know there are a lot of pretty serious fails (not FORM or range in cold issues).

The 4xe is a blast to drive And I hope they get to a place where it’s as reliable As a Wrangler can be and they have parts on hand to fix them.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Let’s agree that almost 20% of people have 1 or more unresolved 4xe problems. I lived on the 4xe before and while my order was pending. We both know there are a lot of pretty serious fails (not FORM or range in cold issues).

The 4xe is a blast to drive And I hope they get to a place where it’s as reliable As a Wrangler can be and they have parts on hand to fix them.
20% of the people responding... but that doesn't mean 20% of 4xe owners. You spend any time on forms for any vehicle and it's going to seem like that model has nothing but issues. Mustangs and EVO/Ralliarts were the same way. You always have a higher percentage of owners with issues represented on the forum than in RL.

BCool

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tuscadero Sahara 4xe
One thing I will say, check your fuses.

a few weeks back it was deep snow and I was horseplaying, I don't know if that was enough to make a loose fuse situation worse, but the Turtle came on and so did the Check Engine Light.

I limped home sheepishly, I was only a couple of blocks away.

Let the 4xe sit as I tried finding a way to get the error code, need a reader, not like the JK where there it a key sequence.

I went down, a lot of fuses and relays were loose, started up fine, then I decided to drive to the dealer because of the CEL, then I jumped out unscrew the gas cap, and screwed it back in, then continued to the dealership no issue, they didn't have time to look at it, said come back the next day, after I left the dealer I notice the CEL was gone.

I drove about 3 hours that night around town, horseplaying a little, nothing else happened, and I didn't bother going back to the dealer.

I put a reminder in my phone to check the fuses once a month just in case.
This is a known JL issue, not a 4xe issue.
Sponsored