Sponsored

3.6 trade to 4xe

CNDJeepLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hi All,

I need some help! I’m considering trading my 3.6 21 JLUR with 7000 KM for a 22 JLUR 4xe. Payments are very similar ~60 more a month. My main concern is the cold weather performance being in Ontario and also just the fact that this is somewhat new for Jeep (although system used in Pacifica). Am I over thinking this? Need some advise from current 4xe owners please!
Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Big deal to me is what type of driving do you do? It does sound like the cold is affecting lots of people, so that may be an issue. How much do you pay for electric? Are you going to install a charger at your house/work?
I am not a fan of comparing the payments. I always figure out how much more money the new car costs and the payment will kind of be what it is. I like our 4xe but would be hard pressed to trade in a new car like that for one.

OP
OP

CNDJeepLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Big deal to me is what type of driving do you do? It does sound like the cold is affecting lots of people, so that may be an issue. How much do you pay for electric? Are you going to install a charger at your house/work?
I am not a fan of comparing the payments. I always figure out how much more money the new car costs and the payment will kind of be what it is. I like our 4xe but would be hard pressed to trade in a new car like that for one.
My driving habits fit well with the limited electric range. I would say I drive on avg 20-35 KM a day. The total cost at this point will be 7 K more, but can probably negotiate a bit more. Cost here is approx 10 cents per KWh off peak.

Do you run premium gas?

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Might be a good deal for you. You are never going to make that 7k back in fuel but it is cool. With those cheap rates you would probably be at a 35-40 cents per liter equivalent gas cost while you are electric only. Out on the open road you are not really going to see any savings. . I can't speak to the cold. I know lots of guys are having issues. I think almost all battery cars do. Heck even my Toyota FJ loses 2 miles per gallon in the Winter and I live in California. No need for premium gas unless you are towing or really hot rodding up and down mountains.

Sponsored

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
7K More?.. I'm on the side of stick with what you have. Unless for some reason you're unhappy with you're Jeep or you really want a change. OR there's a big tax savings.
I switched from a 2019 JLUR V6 to a 2021 JLUR 4XE but only because I came out way ahead.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the way the 4XE drives, it's smooth and quiet. Maybe too much so - feels less and less like a Jeep and more like a luxury SUV, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Especially in the cold when you hop into those heated seats.

Though unlikely you would ever come ahead on fuel savings. So the decision shouldn't be based on that. There is the advantage of a potentially higher resale on a newer vehicle and longer warranty. Though we still don't know how the 4XE will hold value. If in '23 Jeep comes out with a 4XE that gets much higher range on electric and/or with solid state batteries, that will affect resale in a big way. But hey, maybe Extreme Terrain will sell replacement battery packs for the 4XE..

HushJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
My personal experience:

I have owned a 2021 Jeep Wrangler JLUR 4XE for almost 6 months. I live in BC, Canada. We had a colder-than-usual few weeks in December & January this winter. I was getting 40-42 kms of pure electric range in the summer. With the colder temperatures in winter I figure I lost ~25% of pure electric range, so averaged just over 30 kms. No loss of power whatsoever.

In my opinion, 4XE makes the most sense for people who do most of their driving under 50 kms distance (30 miles) at at time. However, if you have access to level 2 fast charging at either end of your trip, you can get increased low cost driving. It only takes just over 2 hours for a full charge.

-Regards

OP
OP

CNDJeepLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Just got back from test driving a 22 Sahara 4xe. MSRP is 60 k and trade in for my 21 JKUR is $59500. It drove well, but those stock tires where noticeable worse on snow then the KO2’s. This is a tough decision!

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I have a Sahara 4xe in Toronto, I bought some Gladiator Rubicon wheels with Falken Wildpeak for $1,000, check Kijiji for takeoffs. I would not drive with those 20s in the winter.

Think I saw gas at $1.59 today, I paid $1.49 a liter at Costco yesterday, gas will most likely hit $2 soon.

I had a perfectly good 2018 JL Sahara, my savings on gas+electric now is over $200 a month. I pay for public charging,and also get a bit of free charging.

I charge fully most nights for $3 flat rate, and top up for free during the day at public chargers.

I drive hard I guess, also mostly pure city. I rarely ever got more than 400km from any of my Wranglers, my 2007 JK 2dr I used to get 350km.

I think I got 600km a tank(just before the gas light) a few times driving to NYC with the 2015 JKU and 2018 JLU.

Another reason I did the trade, was resale value, I got 3k less than what I paid taxes in, 32 months ago. I paid 5% under MSRP,but would have paid full price.

I also got the Sky one touch with the 4xe, which I'm using almost every day, even in -10c, I think they say the cut off is -22c.

Only 3 options I got were Cold, Proximity, SOT.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CNDJeepLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have a Sahara 4xe in Toronto, I bought some Gladiator Rubicon wheels with Falken Wildpeak for $1,000, check Kijiji for takeoffs. I would not drive with those 20s in the winter.

Think I saw gas at $1.59 today, I paid $1.49 a liter at Costco yesterday, gas will most likely hit $2 soon.

I had a perfectly good 2018 JL Sahara, my savings on gas+electric now is over $200 a month. I pay for public charging,and also get a bit of free charging.

I charge fully most nights for $3 flat rate, and top up for free during the day at public chargers.

I drive hard I guess, also mostly pure city. I rarely ever got more than 400km from any of my Wranglers, my 2007 JK 2dr I used to get 350km.

I think I got 600km a tank(just before the gas light) a few times driving to NYC with the 2015 JKU and 2018 JLU.

Another reason I did the trade, was resale value, I got 3k less than what I paid taxes in, 32 months ago. I paid 5% under MSRP,but would have paid full price.

I also got the Sky one touch with the 4xe, which I'm using almost every day, even in -10c, I think they say the cut off is -22c.

Only 3 options I got were Cold, Proximity, SOT.
Thanks for this. Are you seeing savings in the colder months as well?

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I picked up the 4xe late November, so I am pretty much all cold to frozen.

it's generally easy to know if you will realize saving and how much based on your driving habits.

You are definitely not going to get 40km on a full charge during the winter, I am not sure at what temp you will get 40km, at 5c I get 30km, below that things start to get iffy.

Talk to @JollieOllie - I think he got his Wrangler 4xe in the Spring or Summer, he lives in Ottawa, so he might be able to tell about range variations during summer, autumn and winter.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/members/jollieollie.64089/

I also do not have access to a home charger, I live in a condo, so most nights I fully charge for $3, then during the day I top up for free.

---------------------------------------------------------
This is my usual schedule

8am full charge

I drive the kids to their schools about 10km, and I am down to 75%-65% depends on coldness
I charge for free for an hour, gets me back to about 95%

1130am - drive for about 15-20km
I charge for free for an hour, gets me back to about 80%-85%

230pm - pick up the kids from their schools 10km
I charge for free for an hour, gets me back to about 85%-90%

6pm - I'll do a lot of driving that will completely deplete the battery, I'll also force the gas engine on at the beginning if it's really cold, to get the engine, and inside warmed up then put it back in hybrid or electric.

8pm put it to charge for $3

------------------------------------------------------------------

So if you can calculate how much driving you do daily, and the cost per 1kw and how often you can charge and top up etc

Mind you if I had access to a simple outlet in my parking spot, I would save some of that $3, since most nights I park at 8pm to 8am, and that 12 hours supposedly should get me to 100%, My condo management isn't interested in that, says I have to pay $4,000 to install a level 2.

see this thread, the tail end of it.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/winter-has-neutered-the-4xe.84385/page-6

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I own both a 2018 JL Sahra 3.6 and the 2021 4xe Rubicon. I absolutely HATE the 2.0, it is loud and obnoxious (sounds like a diesel, a a motor with bad lifters) and with only a few miles of battery power it is a joke. Too bad they could not have used the 3.6. I am probably selling the 4xe and going back to driving the JL. The 4xer was a swing and a miss...

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I own both a 2018 JL Sahra 3.6 and the 2021 4xe Rubicon. I absolutely HATE the 2.0, it is loud and obnoxious (sounds like a diesel, a a motor with bad lifters) and with only a few miles of battery power it is a joke. Too bad they could not have used the 3.6. I am probably selling the 4xe and going back to driving the JL. The 4xer was a swing and a miss...
I have never driven a 2.0, but my Neighbor has one. I agree, it does not sound good.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I have never driven a 2.0, but my Neighbor has one. I agree, it does not sound good.
wait till you hear the electric AC fire up it sounds like a jet engine... so loud...
Sponsored