Sponsored

3.6 to Diesel

jmj8355

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 2.0
Hello, i am on the verge of ordering jlurd and coming from jlur 3.6 w/ 6 speed and wanted to see if there are any words of wisdom that i may be missing before i place the order. I have grown to love my jl (first time wrangler owner) but for my application my current setup seems to have fatal flaws. I highway commute several times a week at 75mph aound 65 miles round trip and the mpg with the 3.6 manual is not good but to add insult to injury the acceleration is just snail like for me when trying to pass or getting on highway etc. Love rowing gears but the 3.6 feels lifeless to me in this setup. I realize the aerodynamics etc. I had a 3.6 gc i drove everyday for 6 years and had zero complaints so i assume its the aerodynamics plus gearing plus manual that make it so sluggish. I typically get around 16mpg mixed driving. 17 is a really good tank for me. Midwest tends to be windy and 70mph speedlimit on most highways i drive which means 75. So with the car market in its current condition I think ill make a little money off my 2021 and be able to upgrade to the diesel without any negative financial impacts. My question to you guys is just want to ensure the diesel is going to satisfy my two issues (snail acceleration sub par mpg). Was considering 4xe but i think my commutes are too long to get the benefits of that platform. I used to own vw tdi jettas so no stranger to diesel and doing my own maintenance etc. Any words of wisdom or caution would be appreciated. My worst fear would be going through this process again and not getting much gains in mpg or acceleration. Not looking to win races just want some passing power and would like to me approaching mid 20mpg in stock rubicon form. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I agree that the JLUR V6 with a manual is anemic, even with the 4.10:1 gears and stock 33s.

The gearing is stupidly tall. You get into 4th at 70-75. I got into 6th barely a handful of times during the 16 months that I had that Jeep, and that was on totally flat interstates in Utah at 90-95. 6th, IMO, is a useless gear.

The power of the diesel that I test drove last month was pretty damn impressive, but it was a turnkey rig with 37s and 4.56:1 gears. That's what I have on order now through AEV.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I love the diesel, so I’d never knock it. Having said that, have you considered the 2.0? I don’t know your full use needs, but if it’s just commuting, the diesel may be a bit much. If you had an automatic you may have never even considered changing as it is.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Hello, i am on the verge of ordering jlurd and coming from jlur 3.6 w/ 6 speed and wanted to see if there are any words of wisdom that i may be missing before i place the order. I have grown to love my jl (first time wrangler owner) but for my application my current setup seems to have fatal flaws. I highway commute several times a week at 75mph aound 65 miles round trip and the mpg with the 3.6 manual is not good but to add insult to injury the acceleration is just snail like for me when trying to pass or getting on highway etc. Love rowing gears but the 3.6 feels lifeless to me in this setup. I realize the aerodynamics etc. I had a 3.6 gc i drove everyday for 6 years and had zero complaints so i assume its the aerodynamics plus gearing plus manual that make it so sluggish. I typically get around 16mpg mixed driving. 17 is a really good tank for me. Midwest tends to be windy and 70mph speedlimit on most highways i drive which means 75. So with the car market in its current condition I think ill make a little money off my 2021 and be able to upgrade to the diesel without any negative financial impacts. My question to you guys is just want to ensure the diesel is going to satisfy my two issues (snail acceleration sub par mpg). Was considering 4xe but i think my commutes are too long to get the benefits of that platform. I used to own vw tdi jettas so no stranger to diesel and doing my own maintenance etc. Any words of wisdom or caution would be appreciated. My worst fear would be going through this process again and not getting much gains in mpg or acceleration. Not looking to win races just want some passing power and would like to me approaching mid 20mpg in stock rubicon form. Thoughts?
I went from 3.6L JK to 3.6L JLUR to 2.0L JLUR to 3.0L Willys to 6 speed JT Mohave and came back to 3.0L Willys.

In your use case, 3.0L makes perfect sense. For peace of mind, get something like Scangauge or Banks to monitor regens, soot levels and turbo temps, and you will be the master of this torque monstrosity. Since you are in midwest, a block heater would be a must for the diesel engine too.

My commute is 40 miles every day, and I average 27-28 mpg with the 3.0L. I can improve on the MPGs, but I can't resist spirited driving in some stretches. I am doing 500 miles in a full 18.3 tank.

Deleted member 59498

I love the manual never have those issues or any issues. But going diesel for other reasons. I run 6th all the way to work on some hills etc. But no it is not a sports car but I can pass in 6th just fine myself, drove the christmas thing today 140 miles almost all highway in 6th gear 65 to 75mph.

Getting diesel though because it is unique and I wanted one for years and years in a wrangler. Only reason I need I think :)

Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Future proud owner of a JLURD..
Without a doubt if you're looking for those two improvements by all means go for it. Only Exception being if you have money to throw at the new purchase by all means get the 392. It will maintain 100% of its value and then some in the near future. Power! it speaks for itself. You would never be disappointed, Popular YouTube channel guys showed 21 mpg on hwy. It comes fully loaded only option I'm aware of is the tow package which even if you're not towing, for resale in the future I would get it. The 392 and its stock form, is by far the most capable off-road Giant in the Wrangler lineup. I anticipated the arrival of the diesel in 2020 I knew that would be my next Wrangler but still unlike many I test drove the runner-ups on my list which included the 2.0 Wrangler. The 4xc was the only one not available at that time so did not get to include that in my comparison. Knowing how phenomenal the new eight-speed automatic with optional manual mode was the only transmission for me so I did not include the 6-speed in my test drives. The other two platforms I test drove was the Gladiator with the 3.6 once again the diesel was not available in that platform at that time. That might have been the only game changer. After test driving a 2.0 the 3.6 both the Wrangler and the Gladiator (3.6 only) and then finally the diesel in the Wrangler. My mind was easily made up. DIESEL all the way!
Aside from using my own free Wave for oil changes I wrench my own rigs doing most of the maintenance. Costs are not exuberant over the top like many claim here, those are only the haters then use that excuse why they did not buy the diesel. If you just walk right up to your local Jeep dealership parts dept. without coupons and order all your supplies maybe would be costly but I go online and get everything fuel filters, oil filters, cabin filters, and oil. On average you will only be $40 more vs. 3.6 full synthetic required. That's at every eight thousand miles you won't even notice. Not sure about your vw but you will be using DEF fluid it's just the way it is these days. Almost all modern engines require synthetic oil these days not your standard oil which ads costs. No one seems to complain about that. Back in the day your standard Oil non-synthetic) was used and acceptable for a fraction of the cost of full synthetic. I'm on 37s now but I wheel my rig frequently. I have a second car that I use for transportation. By all means if I were you I would keep the stock 33s all day long and expect 28 to 30 mpg. Order your Diesel with the Mopar reinforced tailgate. On your weekends, vacations whenever you're going to wheel. Buy yourself a 2nd set of some 35 or 37's with some sweet Method, Icon ect. and swap everything out. Sounds like 90 to 95% of the miles will put on your rig will be on the highway. Just go down to your local Harbor Freight get the biggest floor jack they have. You will be able to swap out all 5 after a few times with ease under 30 minutes. I would run some harder compound all terrains for my highway driving and some choice muds for wheeling. Even better if it's available on the diesel which I'm not sure it is. Order the Rubicon extreme package now available. It will give you an optimal suspension and 35s right out of the gate then get yourself inexpensive 33s hard compound all terrains stock takeoffs from a standard Rubi for your commuting. By all means if you want to wake up the diesel which in its stock form you'll be more than happy but consider throwing $500 and get the Banks system, it's plug-and-play won't void your warranty and you simply unplug it whenever you need to take it to the dealer for warranty issues. It's simple it's what I have you will absolutely love it and you can monitor and create all your parameters for your diesel. The added hidden power inside that diesel that the Bank's system wakes up will blow your mind! Guarantee you will love when you're fully loaded down approaching mild to steep grades even on 37's it will Not affect your performance at all. Banks or stock! The diesel just pulls and pulls all while on stock 373 gears. With the Wrangler has always suffered from is torque and Power. The diesel is the perfect remedy and shines through and through. All others continue to regear. A costly solution more than the diesel option and they still don't have the upgraded 8 speed transmission that comes standard with the diesel and on the 392. Without a doubt the perfect platform for a Wrangler and the best solution today has been the diesel. Order it and enjoy and you will see for yourself.

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I did this exact thing. I went from the 3.6 on a 2020 to the diesel in a 2021. The oil burner certainly address those issues. I don’t know if it’s the weight or whatever, but it also seems to ride and steer better. That could just be my read, though. I do notice a little turbo lag, but nothing problematic.

I wrote a big post on regens after a month or so, because I found that the internet scared me out of going diesel the first time, when I should have just bought it in 2020. See:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/regens-after-a-month-of-ownership.82491/

All in all, the diesel just makes me happier. That clatter will never not ,are me smile. Sometimes I don’t even turn the radio on! I can’t imagine not having a ScanGauge with this, though.

OP
OP
jmj8355

jmj8355

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 2.0
I love the diesel, so I’d never knock it. Having said that, have you considered the 2.0? I don’t know your full use needs, but if it’s just commuting, the diesel may be a bit much. If you had an automatic you may have never even considered changing as it is.
I agree, if i went automatic originally i probably wouldn't be on this hunt now but at the time I really wanted the novelty of the manual. Still do enjoy. Also wanting to run 35s or potentially 37s so thats another reason that points me to Diesel since hopefully i can avoid expensive regearing and preserve some mpg

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Future proud owner of a JLURD..
Without a doubt if you're looking for those two improvements by all means go for it. Only Exception being if you have money to throw at the new purchase by all means get the 392. It will maintain 100% of its value and then some in the near future. Power! it speaks for itself. You would never be disappointed, Popular YouTube channel guys showed 21 mpg on hwy. It comes fully loaded only option I'm aware of is the tow package which even if you're not towing, for resale in the future I would get it. The 392 and its stock form, is by far the most capable off-road Giant in the Wrangler lineup. I anticipated the arrival of the diesel in 2020 I knew that would be my next Wrangler but still unlike many I test drove the runner-ups on my list which included the 2.0 Wrangler. The 4xc was the only one not available at that time so did not get to include that in my comparison. Knowing how phenomenal the new eight-speed automatic with optional manual mode was the only transmission for me so I did not include the 6-speed in my test drives. The other two platforms I test drove was the Gladiator with the 3.6 once again the diesel was not available in that platform at that time. That might have been the only game changer. After test driving a 2.0 the 3.6 both the Wrangler and the Gladiator (3.6 only) and then finally the diesel in the Wrangler. My mind was easily made up. DIESEL all the way!
Aside from using my own free Wave for oil changes I wrench my own rigs doing most of the maintenance. Costs are not exuberant over the top like many claim here, those are only the haters then use that excuse why they did not buy the diesel. If you just walk right up to your local Jeep dealership parts dept. without coupons and order all your supplies maybe would be costly but I go online and get everything fuel filters, oil filters, cabin filters, and oil. On average you will only be $40 more vs. 3.6 full synthetic required. That's at every eight thousand miles you won't even notice. Not sure about your vw but you will be using DEF fluid it's just the way it is these days. Almost all modern engines require synthetic oil these days not your standard oil which ads costs. No one seems to complain about that. Back in the day your standard Oil non-synthetic) was used and acceptable for a fraction of the cost of full synthetic. I'm on 37s now but I wheel my rig frequently. I have a second car that I use for transportation. By all means if I were you I would keep the stock 33s all day long and expect 28 to 30 mpg. Order your Diesel with the Mopar reinforced tailgate. On your weekends, vacations whenever you're going to wheel. Buy yourself a 2nd set of some 35 or 37's with some sweet Method, Icon ect. and swap everything out. Sounds like 90 to 95% of the miles will put on your rig will be on the highway. Just go down to your local Harbor Freight get the biggest floor jack they have. You will be able to swap out all 5 after a few times with ease under 30 minutes. I would run some harder compound all terrains for my highway driving and some choice muds for wheeling. Even better if it's available on the diesel which I'm not sure it is. Order the Rubicon extreme package now available. It will give you an optimal suspension and 35s right out of the gate then get yourself inexpensive 33s hard compound all terrains stock takeoffs from a standard Rubi for your commuting. By all means if you want to wake up the diesel which in its stock form you'll be more than happy but consider throwing $500 and get the Banks system, it's plug-and-play won't void your warranty and you simply unplug it whenever you need to take it to the dealer for warranty issues. It's simple it's what I have you will absolutely love it and you can monitor and create all your parameters for your diesel. The added hidden power inside that diesel that the Bank's system wakes up will blow your mind! Guarantee you will love when you're fully loaded down approaching mild to steep grades even on 37's it will Not affect your performance at all. Banks or stock! The diesel just pulls and pulls all while on stock 373 gears. With the Wrangler has always suffered from is torque and Power. The diesel is the perfect remedy and shines through and through. All others continue to regear. A costly solution more than the diesel option and they still don't have the upgraded 8 speed transmission that comes standard with the diesel and on the 392. Without a doubt the perfect platform for a Wrangler and the best solution today has been the diesel. Order it and enjoy and you will see for yourself.
XR still isn't an option on the diesel.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I love the manual never have those issues or any issues. But going diesel for other reasons. I run 6th all the way to work on some hills etc. But no it is not a sports car but I can pass in 6th just fine myself, drove the christmas thing today 140 miles almost all highway in 6th gear 65 to 75mph.

Getting diesel though because it is unique and I wanted one for years and years in a wrangler. Only reason I need I think :)
Is yours a JLUR? A manual with the 3.6 might be different with different configurations.

My anemic manual might also have been somewhat exasperated by living at 7.4k feet, but I've had many other vehicles that didn't suffer so damn much.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jmj8355

jmj8355

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 2.0
Is yours a JLUR? A manual with the 3.6 might be different with different configurations.

My anemic manual might also have been somewhat exasperated by living at 7.4k feet, but I've had many other vehicles that didn't suffer so damn much.
I felt the extra pain at altitude as well. We take annual summer vaca to Colorado Springs/Pikes Peek are for tourist stuff as well as some off roading and man it made my performance from the midwest feel like a 392. It was completely dead so much so that i just wanted to jerk the wheel. Well, maybe not that bad but ya it sucked. Getting ready to send my order to the dealer now. YOLO. Thing i cant get over is im ordering a new Jeep and its going to literally be the exact same except the engine/trans. Tried to talk myself into a different color but couldnt do it.

OP
OP
jmj8355

jmj8355

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 2.0
I felt the extra pain at altitude as well. We take annual summer vaca to Colorado Springs/Pikes Peek are for tourist stuff as well as some off roading and man it made my performance from the midwest feel like a 392. It was completely dead so much so that i just wanted to jerk the wheel. Well, maybe not that bad but ya it sucked. Getting ready to send my order to the dealer now. YOLO. Thing i cant get over is im ordering a new Jeep and its going to literally be the exact same except the engine/trans. Tried to talk myself into a different color but couldnt do it.
forgot to mention though i was getting better MPG at altitude despite the lack of power which i found odd. Maybe 18mpg

Deleted member 59498

Yep Rubicon and no issues, I don't live at 7500 feet. I hit the highway up hill and have no issue reaching 6th and 70 mph.

But I have not driven fast cars in a long time, my 4Runner was about the same acceleration though in automatic. My JK was similar if I remember it right in automatic.

I just can't see how people ride around in 4th gear and 5th gear on interstate.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
Don't feel bad about ordering a new Jeep with all the same options (including color) and changing the engine. I have the 3.6/auto. It's good, but the constant shifting even here in NETX (500' elevation) is annoying. Any slight incline and the shift to 7th or even 6th. Headwinds, forget about it as you will never see 8th.

So, I did the logical thing too. Order my same exact Jeep (options/color wise) with a diesel this time.

OP
OP
jmj8355

jmj8355

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 2.0
I should clarify. I use 6th with no problem. I can cruise and even pass (slowly) while in 6 at least in the midwest. My complaint is more geared at taking a ton of effort to reach highway speeds on the entrance ramps, wanting to pass quickly, and just overall feel of how the power is applied. For example I have a decent long entrance ramp to a 70mph highway which is very busy and for me to get to even 65 by the time i should be merging i am just beating the hell out of it and eventually reach speed limit in 4th. Add some headwind and its just not adequate for me. I mean i admit these are not end of the world problems and ive dealt with it for over a year. If it werent for our resale currently and the used car market i would just deal with it. I really want to go to 35's which in my view is not doable in my current setup.
Sponsored