Sponsored

3.6 Sound at Idle

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
Only if it was the cause of a failure. They'd have a VERY hard time determining a 5w20 vs a 0w20. A thin 5w20 is hardly different from a thick 0w20. Once a few miles get on it, it will probably shear to a 0w20, anyway.
I was thinking of trying ow30 though. Somewhere I heard that the thin oil is required due to the tighter engine clearness tolerances and that thicker oil would not get to all those tighter places. I don't know.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking of trying ow30 though. Somewhere I heard that the thin oil is required due to the tighter engine clearness tolerances and that thicker oil would not get to all those tighter places. I don't know.
That's true, so I'd be careful going to a 30 weight. I'm no engineer, so I'd advise going with the manufacturer's recommended oil weight. You can't go wrong with it. That said, I doubt a 5w20 would cause a problem and there really would be no way for Jeep to prove it wasn't a 0w20. Oils can shear down and also thicken up, depending on conditions, mileage, and other variables. Look at product data sheets for various 5w and 0w/20 oils, paying close attention to viscosity. Besides, the 0w20's out there are full synthetic (except Pennzoil Gold) and they are outstanding oils.

DR DON

First Name
don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler sport jl
Only if it was the cause of a failure. They'd have a VERY hard time determining a 5w20 vs a 0w20. A thin 5w20 is hardly different from a thick 0w20. Once a few miles get on it, it will probably shear to a 0w20, anyway.
I thought the same thing today walking by mine running. With the hood open, sounds like a valve tapping.
I have the same problem, sounds like a Diesel engine with a intermittent knock, brought to dealer & they said I had wrong oil (bull!) , I only have 11k on my Jeep Jlu & I’m not happy, dealer changed oil & ticking is LOUDER! , also consumes 1 qt oil per 1400 miles , dealer says ONLY anything under 1000 mi is ok ?!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same problem, sounds like a Diesel engine with a intermittent knock, brought to dealer & they said I had wrong oil (bull!) , I only have 11k on my Jeep Jlu & I’m not happy, dealer changed oil & ticking is LOUDER! , also consumes 1 qt oil per 1400 miles , dealer says ONLY anything under 1000 mi is ok ?!
Mine has quoted down as the miles have increased, so it may improve. I'd have them do a consumption test to get it documented.

As for being normal, it sure doesn't sound normal to consume that much, but my 3.8 in my JK consumes between 1/2 and almost a full quart per 1k miles. It has done that for the last 100k but runs like new. It currently has 142k miles on it. I know folks who have run them well past 200k consuming oil like that. (The 3.8 is notorious for consumption). I haven't heard of 3.6 Pentastars doing that, though.

Like I said, I'd have them do a consumption test to document it. Then just monitor it closely and make sure it doesn't get more than 1 quart low. Also inspect all gaskets and seals. My 3.8 had an upper oil pan leak and I didn't know it for a long time. It never dripped in the driveway, but would lose oil when driven.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
I run 0w40 Mobil 1 in my 3.6 with no issues, Also with ZDDP added for good measure. Yes I know my cats will live a short life. I keep my vehicles a long time so we will see what happens in the long run. Let the flames begin !!! :punch:

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I run 0w40 Mobil 1 in my 3.6 with no issues, Also with ZDDP added for good measure. Yes I know my cats will live a short life. I keep my vehicles a long time so we will see what happens in the long run. Let the flames begin !!! :punch:
I wonder if a catch can would help the cats in that scenario? Might be worth a try.

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
I wonder if a catch can would help the cats in that scenario? Might be worth a try.
I think it would, That's one of the reasons I installed one. As far as oil consumption the only amount lost is in the catch can. I change oil every 5,000 mi. and get about 6 - 8 oz. from the can.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
how many are manual trans?

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Mines manual and sounds like a damn diesel. They've replaced the lifters, rockers, and engine oil pump. It now sounds worse than ever. 🤬

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mines manual and sounds like a damn diesel. They've replaced the lifters, rockers, and engine oil pump. It now sounds worse than ever. 🤬
The reason I asked is because I have a manual and thought the sound was engine related. One day with the windows down I noticed when I depressed the clutch it stopped. Turned out to be a trans issue, gear rollover noise that I'm still dealing with.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine isn't too bad but every 3.6 I've ever heard has valve train noise. It has a very complicated valve train system. Sometimes it sounds like a diesel at idle and sometimes it doesnt. I think it has more to do with my perception at the moment than anything with the engine itself.

Last edited:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
yeah you're talking about VVT, types of oil etc. these new valvetrains aren't really quiet. I find that redline 0w-20 quieted my valvetrain noise considerably. It's still loud at startup but within 10 seconds it's quiet and purrs with the redline 0w-20

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
yeah you're talking about VVT, types of oil etc. these new valvetrains aren't really quiet. I find that redline 0w-20 quieted my valvetrain noise considerably. It's still loud at startup but within 10 seconds it's quiet and purrs with the redline 0w-20
Redline is VERY good oil. It is made up of a significant amount of PAO, or true synthetic base stock. Some of the cleanest valve trains I've ever seen with over 200k miles were run with Redline.

Can't go wrong with it.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I started using Redline with my Dodge/FCA trucks years ago due to drivetrain noise and will continue to use it on the Jeep. It definitely mutes the drivetrain noise and the engine runs cooler.

Good stuff, most likely the BEST stuff you could use in your vehicle.. Not cheap though lol.
Sponsored