DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
While in Moab, I had a guy with a 3.6 JK come up as my Jeep sat idling. He asked if I had the new diesel, Lol! When at idle, it has a slight diesel sound to it. Anybody else's 3.6 sound like that?

I chalk it up to the thin 0w20 oil and the updated valve train of the PUG.

It runs great and strong, and out runs my buddy's 2012 2 door 3.6 pretty easily. I never thought anything of it until this guy asked me that. I think he would have believed it if I told him it had the Ecodiesel. :giggle:
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
While in Moab, I had a guy with a 3.6 JK come up as my Jeep sat idling. He asked if I had the new diesel, Lol! When at idle, it has a slight diesel sound to it. Anybody else's 3.6 sound like that?

It runs great and strong, and out runs my buddy's 2012 2 door 3.6 pretty easily. I never thought anything of it until this guy asked me that. I think he would have believed it if I told him it had the Ecodiesel. :giggle:
Who can hear the engine over the A/C fan or annoying high-pitched whine coming from somewhere? :cwl:

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I thought the same thing today walking by mine running. With the hood open, sounds like a valve tapping.

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
Not if your deaf as hell;) too many years in the power plant. I had mine running with the hood up today i didn't notice any valve train noise really.

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Its a DOHC engine fellas... Yr gonna hear some tappin’.
Exactly! If you want to hear a noise, listen to a GM direction injection motor. It sounds more like a diesel motor than new diesel motors does.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Who can hear the engine over the A/C fan or annoying high-pitched whine coming from somewhere? :cwl:
Lol! Yeah, but I can here it now because it is only about 18 degrees here!

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet

YES, I took it back and they replaced the intake cam, phaser,oil selenoid, lifters and rockers and 3 weeks later,,it's still sounding like a diesel. Thank you for posting this! I am not alone! They also pulled a new 2 door jl in and it sounded the very same. I have a open star case on it now and I am going to carry it to another dealer to see what they say about it. TO ME, this should not be ticking like that.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
YES, I took it back and they replaced the intake cam, phaser,oil selenoid, lifters and rockers and 3 weeks later,,it's still sounding like a diesel. Thank you for posting this! I am not alone! They also pulled a new 2 door jl in and it sounded the very same. I have a open star case on it now and I am going to carry it to another dealer to see what they say about it. TO ME, this should not be ticking like that.
I've heard many engines that do this. I'm really not worried about it. The thing runs GREAT and makes no unusual noises except this sound at idle. I was just curious about it. I've got the lifetime warranty, so if it ever craps the bed, I'm covered. I've had 3 used oil analyses done and they were all good with no sign of any abnormal wear or problems. I'm wondering if it is a characteristic of the very think 0w20 oil.

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
H
The
The high pitched whine is cycling on and off? It is right behind the radiator , looks like a oil filter.
I think it is the evappump, not positive.

Sponsored

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
I've heard many engines that do this. I'm really not worried about it. The thing runs GREAT and makes no unusual noises except this sound at idle. I was just curious about it. I've got the lifetime warranty, so if it ever craps the bed, I'm covered. I've had 3 used oil analyses done and they were all good with no sign of any abnormal wear or problems. I'm wondering if it is a characteristic of the very think 0w20 oil.
Mine is so loud you can hear it inside sitting at a stop light if the windows are up and the fan and radio are off. You can hear it anywhere outside the vehicle. I know all the chargers tick like they are going to fly apart, this did not sound like those. They have a metallic tich whereas mine sounds more plastic.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is nothing like that. I can't hear it from the driver seat when outside. I can only hear it when I'm staning outside next to the Jeep or if I'm idling in the garage with the window down. It is just a very low key diesel type sound. I wouldn't have thought anything of it if my buddy hadn't asked if it was a diesel.

I'd certainly be doing what you are doing and getting that fixed, if mine were that loud.

Last edited:

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
My JLR would make an audible click when started and light tapping when running. I changed my oil to 5w-20 at my first oil change. I no longer have any of those sounds.

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
My JLR would make an audible click when started and light tapping when running. I changed my oil to 5w-20 at my first oil change. I no longer have any of those sounds.
Will changing the oil to a different viscosity void your warranty?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Will changing the oil to a different viscosity void your warranty?
Only if it was the cause of a failure. They'd have a VERY hard time determining a 5w20 vs a 0w20. A thin 5w20 is hardly different from a thick 0w20. Once a few miles get on it, it will probably shear to a 0w20, anyway.
Sponsored