Sponsored

3.6 PENTASTAR : AC BYPASS OPTION : NEED REALTIME INFO

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL WRANGLER SPORT
Hello to all the members on here,,, been a long time reader / aka stalker..lol..:jk:.. .......Figured I would finally join. Since this is my first post, I would like to say thanks to all that post the awesome information on here and the website itself. I have been working on vehicles for many years,,,, I do consider myself a heavy DIY-er and mechanic. I do "all" of my own maintenance, repairs, modifications/ diagnostics / programming ,etc. My vehicles never see the dealer. My post can be extreme as ideas and mods are concerned.

I am looking for members on here " I know it a very small percentage",,,lol :bandit: that either bought or ordered their JL wrangler with the pentastar v6 engine , "with ess ---not the 48 volt part hybrid system" which personally opted for the ac delete option,,, as I understand it it is basically just a heater and ventilation in the cabin,,,aka no compressor mounted to the engine and the associated plumbing. If this might be you,, please reply back to this message.

I will be doing some extreme mods,,, I would like to see some pictures of the engine bay,, particularly the drivers side including the engine where the compressor would be mounted. I believe I have ordered everything I need to complete the project I am designing for myself. I also believe I bought the right belt number from Mopar as well as the length of the belt changes.

If possible, please attach a image of your engine belt number.

Even if your not in the us,,, i am still interested.

My mods will be done as long term projects,, thus why I am opting to install the bypass hardware and new belt so I can run the vehicle while I design certain things I want to accomplish. These projects will be done on my spare time, so it may take some time to design and complete ,,,,,,, as I do the work myself.

Oh , and for those serious gear heads on here,,, one of the mods will be on board air compressor,, driven via the engine serpentine belt.

Thank you in advance for reading my post

:jk:
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So you want to mount an air compressor where the A/C compressor is?

OP
OP
IRISH ISLANDER 4X4 DIY
First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL WRANGLER SPORT
So you want to mount an air compressor where the A/C compressor is?
That would be just one project I have on my mind, but not just the only reason to remove the ac system. Got a couple of projects Im working on. The JL Wrangler has very limited space under the hood,, so for me this opens up some needed real estate...lol

My JL Wrangler is a keeper for life,, not worried about resale value,, as I did mention in my first post she will never see a dealer for service and repairs. I handle all of that on my own.

I am doing this when I have free time,, so this will not be done at a fast pace, thus why I am installing the ac bypass pulley system for now, just to clear up some free space under the hood with the compressor and plumbing removed.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What’s interesting is Jeep doesn’t even publish the belt routing diagram in the service manual, I checked.

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
have you considered converting your AC compressor into an air compressor? there's a number of sites and youtube videos about doing it. might even be able to keep the same belt and routing.

have a shop recover the freon (they should pay you for it as they're not putting it back in) and cap the lines. or remove them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
IRISH ISLANDER 4X4 DIY
First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL WRANGLER SPORT
What’s interesting is Jeep doesn’t even publish the belt routing diagram in the service manual, I checked.
I was surprised myself. It seems I have collected most of the Mopar Parts I need to see where Im at and If I need anything else, Won't know until I then, But as of now, it seems like the new pulley bracket goes in place of the compressor. Kind of like those compressor delete kits for the TJ/YJ/CJ Models use to have in the aftermarket.

In fact if you look under the hood or a engine picture / diagram,, you will find on the passenger side of the engine , the exact same pulley setup in that same spot, as compared to the driver's side of engine.

I would say this might be the reason for nothing published, the belt routing is the same , but a different belt I suppose,, which is obtained via the vin number at the dealership, when a replacement is needed . As mentioned earlier , I did purchase a belt from Mopar, that should fit.

The pulley itself has the same same matched notched ribs on it. So with the new belt part number I have, it should all work out...time will tell.

The biggest tools I need right now is some warm weather and time..lol🥶

Regarding this ByPass Pulley system from Mopar. I will post pictures and part numbers, if it works out. Won't be sometime in the spring, But once I have solid info,, I will post it all here.

OP
OP
IRISH ISLANDER 4X4 DIY
First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL WRANGLER SPORT
have you considered converting your AC compressor into an air compressor? there's a number of sites and youtube videos about doing it. might even be able to keep the same belt and routing.

have a shop recover the freon (they should pay you for it as they're not putting it back in) and cap the lines. or remove them.

Yes I did actually, and have done that on a older Toyota , worked out very well. It is nice having onboard air and not having to think of amperage draw. Our 3.6 engines have good torque, so there is no comprised engine performance. Using the Z-Automotive mini Taser in winch mode can help speed things ups little faster if needed ....lol

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
have a shop recover the freon (they should pay you for it as they're not putting it back in)
LOL, "they should pay you". I don't even thing shops pop the hood for free these days.

OP
OP
IRISH ISLANDER 4X4 DIY
First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL WRANGLER SPORT
LOL, "they should pay you". I don't even thing shops pop the hood for free these days.
The shop is doing the recovery of the refrigerant for free ,and I am getting some money for the refrigerant, I know them personally. I help them out a lot with electrical diagnostics and programming. So it works out in the end. Plus I get to borrow time to time their quality Matco and Snap on tools, when my Lowes and Harbor Freight tools fall short. It is all about working together in the automotive repair field.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
The shop is doing the recovery of the refrigerant for free ,and I am getting some money for the refrigerant, I know them personally. I help them out a lot with electrical diagnostics and programming. So it works out in the end. Plus I get to borrow time to time their quality Matco and Snap on tools, when my Lowes and Harbor Freight tools fall short. It is all about working together in the automotive repair field.

Oh I turn my own wrench, gotta love good shops. They're harder to find these days. I had a stack of good shops back home in St. Petersburg. I couldn't believe you get money for non HFC refrigerant. Modern refrigerants are pretty cheap.

Edit: I love good tools! Anybody who knows auto mechanics understands how difficult pulling the crank pulley bolt on a Honda is. You can break everything in your toolbox getting it off. My father gave me his 1980s Craftsman 1/2" and it breaks it off without much drama.
Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6 PENTASTAR : AC BYPASS OPTION : NEED REALTIME INFO 225A8A98-B686-4D3B-984A-402700F101F2_1_105_c
Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6 PENTASTAR : AC BYPASS OPTION : NEED REALTIME INFO 248454F8-0C67-4708-9610-AC595B6116F9_1_105_c

bacon392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Rubicon 392 XR