First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
So I'm down to either buying a 3.6 now or waiting on the diesel. I did not like the 2.0 so that is out. I've read quite a bit on both just wanted your guys thoughts on the positive and negatives of both.
Sponsored

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
3.6 from me. If the diesel didn’t have EPA red tape all over it and it wouldn’t be a $3-4k premium, then it’d be worth it and I would also wait for one.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
When the Grand Cherokee came out with the diesel they had the $3-4K markup initially, so i imagine the same would be with the Wrangler. Given the 3.6 has been around since 2011 (what we have in our '12 GC), that is what we went with for the Wrangler since it's a very solid engine.

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
My decision was 2-fold: as far as I've read, there's no manual offered with the diesel and the 3.6 has shown it's reliability over the past several years.

I didn't bother test driving the 2.0

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I leased my 3.6 while I wait to see how the 2.0 and now diesel do (heard about it in 2018)
I drove a 2.0, wasn't impressed for the extra $1000, if the diesel is $3000-4000 upcharge idk if it will be worth it.
and as someone said the EPA red tape doesn't sit well with me either.

The diesel is in other vehicles so you can see reviews, some nightmares, some no problems so idk, I do know the 3.6 hasn't had nightmares

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
So I'm down to either buying a 3.6 now or waiting on the diesel. I did not like the 2.0 so that is out. I've read quite a bit on both just wanted your guys thoughts on the positive and negatives of both.
The idea of a diesel intrigues me. Out of the 30+ vehicles I have owned, I have never had a diesel. My last 2 vehicles have had 2.0 liter inline 4 turbos built by BMW (2013 BMW 3 series and a 2016 Mini Cooper S). Very fast and funnnn! My last Wrangler was a 2012 with the 3.6. I had no issues with it. I have driven the new JL 2.0 turbo about 6-7 times. Very capable... perhaps a little quicker than the 3.6. But, it doesn't sound as refined as my other two 2.0 turbos or Jeep's 3.6. The thought of what are the costs going to be when this thing is out of warranty and the 48 volt and designated cooling systems need major repairs scares me away. I would only consider the 2.0 turbo with a lease where I can say..." here ya go" in 3-4 years.

Again, the idea of a diesel in the JL sounds exciting, but who knows the extra costs Jeep is going to have and it will be new to the JL platform, where there will probably be all kinds of initial issues. No thanks. My order in the next few months will be with the very proven and reliable 3.6 V6 engine (assuming it will still be available in the 2020 JL's, right?).

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
3.6 from me. If the diesel didn’t have EPA red tape all over it and it wouldn’t be a $3-4k premium, then it’d be worth it and I would also wait for one.
This. I wouldn't even care about the extra cost but modern diesels are soooo complicated and governed it just kinda kills the fun for me.

However, the only way I would own one would be to have it under factory warranty, and the second the warranty was up and a problem arose I'd just trade it in for a new model year, rinse and repeat. And I'm not that wealthy, so I don't.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Also if you were on any other continent the diesel makes a TON of sense.....here, not so much.

Break down (or run outta fuel) in BFE here and the odds of finding another person carrying gas are decent, diesel not so much. Most Jeep guys and shops are gonna be familiar with the 3.6, but Cletus (that's me) is gonna be scratching his head looking at that diesel.

I actually think diesels are awesome, I just didn't want one in my "overland" vehicle in the U.S. -- unless it was a 12V CTD ;) THAT would be fun (and simple)!

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I drove diesel 1ton pickups for 20+ years. If you need the grunt of a diesel, and I did, can’t beat it.
For a long time, diesel fuel was cheaper than gasoline.
Now it’s ~15% more expensive.
Makes no sense at all in a Jeep to me now.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I leased my 3.6 while I wait to see how the 2.0 and now diesel do (heard about it in 2018)
I drove a 2.0, wasn't impressed for the extra $1000, if the diesel is $3000-4000 upcharge idk if it will be worth it.
and as someone said the EPA red tape doesn't sit well with me either.

The diesel is in other vehicles so you can see reviews, some nightmares, some no problems so idk, I do know the 3.6 hasn't had nightmares
The 3.6 has had many nightmares in the past, Head and valve failures that have led to recalls. It’s just happened 5 years ago so nobody remembers it,,,,,

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The problem is the diesel will have so much emissions control crap on it that it will be a challenge to service and maintain. I came from Audi diesels and watched it first hand be castrated to pass emissions that most of the benefits disappeared.

I fear the Jeep diesel which could and should have been awesome is now too late in the US for diesels.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The 3.6 has had many nightmares in the past, Head and valve failures that have led to recalls. It’s just happened 5 years ago so nobody remembers it,,,,,
I remember. I had a 2015 JK with no problems but I only owned it for a year. I know many who have 75K-100K without issues. Others were not so lucky. A friend had bad valve spring and rocker on his 2015. Another friend had '12 0r '13 sand or sludge build up in his heater core and radiator from bad head castings. That was a real problem. They kept replacing heater cores and radiators. They finally replaced a head and it still had problems. The never got his right. He ended up trading it.

OP
OP
chadk77

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
Thanks everyone. I was leaning towards the 3.6 and this just reinforced that.

homebrew

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I would like the diesel but think i'll wait till its been out for a while to see what the feedback is on it as well as to allow the aftermarket to catch up with it.

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
I was in your exact spot too. First off the diesel was “going to get the ok next month...” for the last 2 years. Secondly diesel will be 3-4K more. Fuel is more expensive. Every time you open the hood it costs 1k to fix.

I went with the 3.6 and am very happy with my choice.
Sponsored