Stuckinthesand

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
The 3.6 is a good engine. Its strengths and weaknesses are well understood, and overall it does solid duty. Good power. Reasonable efficiency. Generally reliable. Good to hear that Stellantis is planning to keep it around for a while.
I agree. I have the 3.6 and love it. Not knocking the other engines but the 3.6 was my only must have when I was shopping for a new Wrangler.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I want a Hurricane straight six please. Going to need that engine, in Rubi trim with an XR package that includes 4.88s and KO2s in 37". And offer it to me in JT Gator green. Ready to order when you are Jeep.

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
I'm curious what the upgraded variant may entail. A lack of low end torque is really the Pentastar's main weakness and if they addressed that for the Ram and Wrangler V6 I could see myself trading in for it to be my last ICE vehicle. That's assuming, of course, that the Hurricane isn't going to land in the JL/JT platform.

Sponsored

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I want a Hurricane straight six please. Going to need that engine, in Rubi trim with an XR package that includes 4.88s and KO2s in 37". And offer it to me in JT Gator green. Ready to order when you are Jeep.
You pretty much nailed my dream factory build there. I could do Sarge as well. I'd even take it in Gladiator form for an amazing overlander platform.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious what the upgraded variant may entail. A lack of low end torque is really the Pentastar's main weakness and if they addressed that for the Ram and Wrangler V6 I could see myself trading in for it to be my last ICE vehicle. That's assuming, of course, that the Hurricane isn't going to land in the JL/JT platform.
It is not a new version. It is the current version in the Wrangler, which IS the upgraded Pentastar. That plant produced the older generation. The newest is made in Mexico. They are either adding capacity or moving production to the US, or both.

That said, there are always running changes, so the 2023 version may have some tweaks or slight improvements, but overall is essentially the same.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The reason the 2.0 or another engine has not knocked out the 3.6 is due to simple economics. The 3.6, not being direct injected or turbocharged, is less expensive to build or repair. It also has one of, if not THE, lowest warranty claim costs of any mass produced engine. In that regard, it is the envy of the auto industry. That's why they continue to invest in it and it isn't going away soon.

Ask Ford about warranty costs on their DI/turbo engines. (Not saying they aren't reliable. They are. But they are EXPENSIVE to repair and replace.) In a recent year their warranty costs for engines were $1 billion greater than that of rival General Motors. It became a top corporate priority to reduce it.

A local oil change shop had to replace the Ecoboost in my Ford Transit about 4 years ago after screwing up the filter installation causing its destruction. It cost them $11,000 for a Ford certified remanufactured unit. OUCH!!!

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Only option for a manual transmission. Once it is gone, manual is dead.
This, I bet the 3.6 will stick around in the wrangler at least just for the manual, they arent going to fit and test a manual with any new engine ever again most likely. I also see that my 2021 Sahara 6sp is going extinct, no 6sp manual in the 2023 Sahara, the first step toward the manuals eventural demise...

Sponsored

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
It is not a new version. It is the current version in the Wrangler, which IS the upgraded Pentastar. That plant produced the older generation. The newest is made in Mexico. They are either adding capacity or moving production to the US, or both.

That said, there are always running changes, so the 2023 version may have some tweaks or slight improvements, but overall is essentially the same.
Ahh, that's a little disappointing. Now, I'd really like the Hurricane to be made available tho, lol.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
My guess is the new inline six won’t fit in many pre-existing FCA vehicles.
That may or may not be true, but if so, why would Stellantis build a new global engine that wouldn't fit in at least a notable portion of their current line-up? You'd think with everything eventually migrating to EV, any redesigns of their existing vehicles would warrant less space in the engine bay not more. Just seems counter-intuitive to the way things are going these days.

I'd absolutely love to have the new inline 6 in a 2-door Wrangler, but if nothing else, I really wish I could just get the 3.6L Pentastar with an automatic without it being an eTorque (can still have ESS, but I'd prefer it without that too).

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
This, I bet the 3.6 will stick around in the wrangler at least just for the manual, they arent going to fit and test a manual with any new engine ever again most likely. I also see that my 2021 Sahara 6sp is going extinct, no 6sp manual in the 2023 Sahara, the first step toward the manuals eventural demise...
If true, this would be one of the few accomodations Jeep has made for MT offering for some time (I am not ignoring the awesome 4.88 option that debuted in the MT! That was perhaps the last hurrah). It seems to me that Jeep is slowly letting it die off. I really like the 3.6 but when you offer all the other engine options with only AT then obviously you are going to shrink relative sales for MT.

I believe that the only reason Jeep keeps the MT at this point is that it is a lower priced option and allows Jeep to continue to advertise the lower amount.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That may or may not be true, but if so, why would Stellantis build a new global engine that wouldn't fit in at least a notable portion of their current line-up? You'd think with everything eventually migrating to EV, any redesigns of their existing vehicles would warrant less space in the engine bay not more. Just seems counter-intuitive to the way things are going these days.

I'd absolutely love to have the new inline 6 in a 2-door Wrangler, but if nothing else, I really wish I could just get the 3.6L Pentastar with an automatic without it being an eTorque (can still have ESS, but I'd prefer it without that too).
Stellantis makes a lot more than Jeeps.
Sponsored