Sponsored

3.6 MT Stalls in Reverse

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I have 519 on the ODO with the 6MT. For some reason I constantly stall my Jeep in reverse. Seems like there is absolutely no low end torque or the reverse is geared wrong in the design.

I’ve driven MT for 26 years everything from a Geo Metro to a Chevy S-10 4.3L. I’m not sure If the engine just makes less torque while new and this will improve with time. I could put my S-10 in reverse and just drop the clutch and it wouldn’t stall.
Sponsored

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
Most cars will usually have a pretty close first gear and reverse gear ratio. In fact, several cars I know have a shorter reverse gear than first, which is probably what you are used to as was I when I started driving the Jeep. First gear in these transmissions is very short (5.13) compared to reverse (4.49). You're muscle memory wants to believe reverse is just like first, but as you see it has a pretty wide spread that you'll just have to get used to.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Yeah it does that.

OP
OP
AlgUSF

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
LOL, "Give it more gas". Nothing like doing 20 in reverse backing between two cars or into the garage. There goes the kids bikes. :-(

My other MT is a 2002 1.7L Civic and it seems much easer to control in reverse than the Jeep. Maybe like another poster said, it may just be muscle memory. Luckily there is a good negative slope to my driveway, I usually just give it a little bump in reverse and let gravity do the rest.

Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
LOL, "Give it more gas". Nothing like doing 20 in reverse backing between two cars or into the garage. There goes the kids bikes. :-(

My other MT is a 2002 1.7L Civic and it seems much easer to control in reverse than the Jeep. Maybe like another poster said, it may just be muscle memory. Luckily there is a good negative slope to my driveway, I usually just give it a little bump in reverse and let gravity do the rest.
I had the same realization when I backed mine in my driveway uphill for the first time. Didn’t stall but I really felt like I was riding the clutch since I didn’t want to go fast backing into the garage. Part of the gearing, you’ll get used to it

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Throttle control. The gas pedal is not sensitive at all. Before the TC, I would rev the engine a little before letting the clutch out. After the TC install, no issues, no stalling anymore.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Most cars will usually have a pretty close first gear and reverse gear ratio. In fact, several cars I know have a shorter reverse gear than first, which is probably what you are used to as was I when I started driving the Jeep. First gear in these transmissions is very short (5.13) compared to reverse (4.49). You're muscle memory wants to believe reverse is just like first, but as you see it has a pretty wide spread that you'll just have to get used to.
What he said ^^^^^

This is not a civic. It's a 4500+ pound jeep with a low first gear. It's all about the driver mod. It'll just take a little getting used to.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Yeah, you can send it in reverse just as easy as first.

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
I have stalled this vehicle more than any other MT I have owned. There is a learning curve.
Sponsored