Sponsored

3.6 likes to leak

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Pretty sad but I'd rather let mine leak than send it to my local dealer :headbang:
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure but maybe it doesnā€™t fit the latest gen pentastar. Sent it to a mechanic friend and he was interested, could prob verify. Iā€™ll ask him.

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
Okay guys i need your help. I was just told by dealer that oil is leaking from crankcase breather tube. also my alternator needs to be replaced.
the alternator is being covered under the extended warranty but not the oil leak.
I was told when i purchased the warranty that it covers a complete engine, transmission and electrical. Wouldn't you be under the same assumption that it should be covered under the extended warranty??
Can anyone @JeepCares help?
They want to charge me over $300 to fix the leak

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Okay guys i need your help. I was just told by dealer that oil is leaking from crankcase breather tube. also my alternator needs to be replaced.
the alternator is being covered under the extended warranty but not the oil leak.
I was told when i purchased the warranty that it covers a complete engine, transmission and electrical. Wouldn't you be under the same assumption that it should be covered under the extended warranty??
Can anyone @JeepCares help?
They want to charge me over $300 to fix the leak
Hi JLJeepGuy513,
If you'd like to send us a private message, we'd be happy to gather more information in order to determine how to best assist.

Sarah
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I have 80K and just replaced the oil cooler for a leak.

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
do you happen to have a pic of the old one?
No, i had it done at the dealership. They just called it the intercooler. I'm not even sure it fixed the issue yet.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Bought my Jeep with lifetime free oil changes. Then before a trip, I did what I usually do and checked the oil level, to find that my oil was way high, being a good inch up the rod part of the dipstick.

I started doing research and found that it is a know problem that Dealers overfill the JL's 3.6L because they add the same amount of oil they put in the JK 3.6 which is 6L/qrts when the JL needs 5L/qrts.

So I dove under the Jeep, pulled the oil pan nut and evacuated a liter/quart of oil. To my dismay, the oil was still high on the dipstick rod. So I researched some more and read that it happened that the 2.0L dipstick was mistakenly used in the 3.6L engine.

So not trusting the amount of oil I had in my Jeep, I decided to flush the whole thing and re-do my oil change. I FLUSHED AN ADDITIONAL 6.5 L/Qrts of oil !!!!.

So the idiot that did my oil change at the dealer, filled it up with 7.5 L/Qrts of oil.

After doing my own oil change and using 5L/Quarts of oil, the oil level on the dipstick is dead-on the full mark on the grid of the dipstick.

Never ever will they see my Jeep again. They can shove their lifetime free oil change up where I think and I'd rather spend $85 and know what type and amount of oil I have in my engine.

So word to the wise, if you let the dealer do your oil changes, check the dipstick before leaving the dealer's lot.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Bought my Jeep with lifetime free oil changes. Then before a trip, I did what I usually do and checked the oil level, to find that my oil was way high, being a good inch up the rod part of the dipstick.

I started doing research and found that it is a know problem that Dealers overfill the JL's 3.6L because they add the same amount of oil they put in the JK 3.6 which is 6L/qrts when the JL needs 5L/qrts.

So I dove under the Jeep, pulled the oil pan nut and evacuated a liter/quart of oil. To my dismay, the oil was still high on the dipstick rod. So I researched some more and read that it happened that the 2.0L dipstick was mistakenly used in the 3.6L engine.

So not trusting the amount of oil I had in my Jeep, I decided to flush the whole thing and re-do my oil change. I FLUSHED AN ADDITIONAL 6.5 L/Qrts of oil !!!!.

So the idiot that did my oil change at the dealer, filled it up with 7.5 L/Qrts of oil.

After doing my own oil change and using 5L/Quarts of oil, the oil level on the dipstick is dead-on the full mark on the grid of the dipstick.

Never ever will they see my Jeep again. They can shove their lifetime free oil change up where I think and I'd rather spend $85 and know what type and amount of oil I have in my engine.

So word to the wise, if you let the dealer do your oil changes, check the dipstick before leaving the dealer's lot.
I avoid anyone but myself to touch my rides (unless I absolutely don't have the proper tool/diagnostic equipment to perform the job), so many ways they can f things up and only one way to do it right. It's getting harder to be able to trust even simple jobs being done properly.

But @Steph1 at least they put the oil filter on properly unlike this poor guy :(
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...il-change-worried-about-serious-damage.43282/

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I avoid anyone but myself to touch my rides (unless I absolutely don't have the proper tool/diagnostic equipment to perform the job), so many ways they can f things up and only one way to do it right. It's getting harder to be able to trust even simple jobs being done properly.

But @Steph1 at least they put the oil filter on properly unlike this poor guy :(
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...il-change-worried-about-serious-damage.43282/
Seriously, I took it as sabotage... No proof, but it ain't the first time they do fishy things. It's like since they are paid by the job and not by the hour like in the old days, they make sure that they won't run out of work.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

My oil pan seal was leaking and needed to be replaced because the Jeep dealerships keep putting in 6 quarts even though I remind them 5 quarts every time. 80% of the oil changes have had to had 1 quart removed. My last oil change 2 months ago had 6 quarts. I can't believe these idiot dealerships continue to put 6 quarts of oil in JLs.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh. Overfill and seals leak.. go figure.. what's up with FCA and the 6 quarts of oil.