Sponsored

3.6 likes to leak

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've got at least three oil leaks on my '19: the upper oil pan near the front, the RH valve cover and somewhere else underneath either behind the exhaust manifold or near the LH head.

Nice work FCA, what other vehicle has this many leaks at 27k?

I'm going to take it to dealer and hope they'll warranty it.
Sponsored

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
I'm here joining the leak group! i cant really find where its coming from though. i saw it when i went to install a new driveshaft. It must have just happened because it wasnt there last week. its dripping from trans bell housing but cant seem to follow it up to where its coming from. I dont think its the RMS. I also went to check the filter housing but no oil there either. I did however find that alternator pulley is shooting grease everywhere also. i'm at 41,000 miles.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My rear main is leaking just a bit, hasn't gotten noticeably worse over the last 8 mos since first noticed it. If it gets to be an issue I'll probably just do the repair myself as I don't trust the local dealer to change my oil filter :(

SPR Pumpkin Rubi

First Name
Tripp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
skinny-pedal-racing.myshopify.com
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR, 04 TJ 1-Ton LS, 4400 U4
Occupation
Sell Jeep Parts
I'm here joining the leak group! i cant really find where its coming from though. i saw it when i went to install a new driveshaft. It must have just happened because it wasnt there last week. its dripping from trans bell housing but cant seem to follow it up to where its coming from. I dont think its the RMS. I also went to check the filter housing but no oil there either. I did however find that alternator pulley is shooting grease everywhere also. i'm at 41,000 miles.
This was mine, and it ended up being the plastic oil filter housing. I thought it was the rear main at first but jeep said it was the oil filter housing. Replaced under warranty without issue, but seems to be a common issue, especially with the JK from reading.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Definitely be careful of over tightening the oil filter into the housing causing it to crack. Not always the issue but it'll drip everywhere and look worse than it is.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
This was mine, and it ended up being the plastic oil filter housing. I thought it was the rear main at first but jeep said it was the oil filter housing. Replaced under warranty without issue, but seems to be a common issue, especially with the JK from reading.
So your rubber oil plugs at the bell housing were oily and oozing? Maybe I'll get lucky and that's what's going on w/ mine. Is yours staying dry under there now?

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Definitely be careful of over tightening the oil filter into the housing causing it to crack. Not always the issue but it'll drip everywhere and look worse than it is.
My filter came with paint marks from the factory that show the proper torque. I have loosened and reinstalled 3 times so far without issue.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Took mine in today - 27K on it. Leaking at bell housing - i'm assuming rear main seal. Will post back.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting they list that for the JK but not the JL.
I'd assume it's the same part but will cross that bridge when I come to it. I do my own fluid changes and have known about that fragile plastic housing so I'm careful about gently torqueing the filter on. It wouldn't surprise me if the oil change places use an air tool lol.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Took mine in today - 27K on it. Leaking at bell housing - i'm assuming rear main seal. Will post back.
Confirmed - rear main seal at 27K. Sheesh....