Sponsored

3.6 - For Those Running Premium Fuel

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Do what I do, I prefer to keep tank half full at all times, so one fill I'll do 87, the next 93, I know its making little to no difference but whatever! It's like giving your pets treats, a little bit of 93 treat for the Wrangler! I'd run no ethanol exclusively but not available around me...
Sponsored

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
FYI the 3.6l knocks on premium fuel too. So does the 2.0l and every electronically managed engine ever. You just don't notice it because the computer detects it before you can.

Let's clarify - uncontrolled, prolonged knock is not healthy for a motor. But knock happens regardless, and as long as it's mitigated within the confines of the engine management system, it is no problem.

There is a surprising number of guys here who seem to be in the wrong profession - if you know better than the engineers that built and tested these motors over thousands of miles, you should be applying for their jobs. You'd almost definitely be making more money than whatever you are doing now.

We are not in disagreement about the screwups...but this is not bolstering your position. If teams of professional engineers can produce the kinds of screwups you mention (and believe me, we certainly can), imagine what one random dude with a laptop could do.

No matter which way you go, when you buy a vehicle, you put "blind faith" in engineers. When you purchase an aftermarket modification, you put "blind faith" in the people who created it - who more often than not aren't even engineers - they're tinkerers or even just salesmen. So you're done trusting the professional creators of the vehicle you paid $40k+ for, now you're going to trust this one guy with a very convincing sales pitch. That makes total sense.

People will go to great illogical lengths to justify their feelings.
I am an engineer. I have formal training in internal combustion. The automotive industry recruiters haven't matched my salary expectations yet. But I check every few years. I run 89 in my 3.6 because it idles like shit on 87. If those powertrain engineers had their way, and their decisions were not impacted by marketing and accounting, you can bet they'd have everyone running premium and letting their designs shine, with calibrations to suit. But real engineering is a series of compromises, and Karen will put 87 in anyway.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I think an unbiased reader would conclude that you are the one most prone to personal to personal attacks. Further, those "links with proof" were just the opposite; either irrelevant or proving my points. But lets set that aside and focus on the technical discussion.
I disagree...I think an unbiased reader would conclude that you jumped into a conversation that you weren't prepared for because you didn't actually read it.

And you continue with the same fallacy that almost every single debate opponent in internet history has ever used when confronted with proof that they asked for - discrediting the proof. I'm not wasting more time on this when you can very easily search for yourself and find that GM produced many pushrod V6's over the years and they aren't alone. But it's not even relevant to the discussion so i'm done with it.

What you are seeing in this thread are two different sets of experience. Group A are typical drivers who may or may not notice their engine runs better on premium but notices no difference in performance or fuel economy. Group B are people with technical backgrounds and/or experience hot rodding engines who note power increases and explain how spark retard reduces thermodynamic efficiency and can lead to other long term problems.
This is reaching again. You try to paint group A as "inexperienced" and the only ones who do not notice knock and group B as "experienced" because they notice knock. Don't get me wrong, there are certainly plenty of owners (of any vehicle) that don't notice when their vehicle knocks. But if there's one thing i've learned in my decades of being a subject matter expert in many fields - assuming you are the only smart guy in the room is a poor tactic. It's far better to assume that you are of average intelligence in any given context because it's overwhelmingly likely to be the truth. That's definitely the case here - I am part of group "B", with extensive experience in almost all aspects of technology automotive and otherwise (it's my career in fact), and I am telling you that there is no audible knock on my JL...and i'm also reminding you that that is how it is supposed to be (if your JL is functioning as designed), as you should know, being a fellow subject matter veteran yourself. I am also reminding you that there are many contributors to this thread that are more knowledgeable that you or I and saying the same thing.

Why this difference? Shouldn't the science Group B is explaining translate to real world gains Group A notices? The reason is twofold. First, it is not possible to detect the power changes with your butt dyno. Perhaps the next time you test your car you should add drag strip testing to your procedure (you will need to account for weather variations). Time slips don't lie. Second, very little of a typical driver's time is spent near full throttle which is the only time spark is retarded. Under high to moderate manifold vacuum (idle and cruise) the engine does not experience knock, spark is not retarded, and under these conditions there will be no difference in fuel economy between regular and premium assuming the same ethanol percentage.
So then why has no one been able to produce any kind of proof? Again, you assume everyone here just backs out of their driveway, heads out to the closest straight flat road, and floors it, then goes "nope, nothing". But again you are making the classic assumption error. Many are smarter than that.

So Group B is saying "there is an increase in efficiency" and Group A is saying "I can't measure it" and both are right.
This, taken completely out of the context of your post, is not an unfair evaluation. It's why I have been very careful to word my request for proof as "appreciable increase" and not just any increase...cause I have no doubt that it would be possible to prove an increase of some kind at the cylinder...but now we go back to the very beginning of this thread, to the question that was answered 18 pages ago - if that doesn't translate to an increase of some kind at the pavement....then what am I paying an additional $0.70-1.00 per gallon for?

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
If those powertrain engineers had their way, and their decisions were not impacted by marketing and accounting, you can bet they'd have everyone running premium and letting their designs shine, with calibrations to suit.
Damage to engines due to owners running insufficient octane fuels because "that's what's recommended by the manufacturer" is an extremely expensive problem for an automaker. Not just in warranty or recall cost either, in fact those are among the lowest costs of such a situation. Accounting cares every bit as much as the professionals who designed the engine. If the engineers say "look, we really need owners running premium because anything less is dangerous"...accounting is going to heed that warning. Legal will also be in that room recommending same.

Besides, on this application specifically - FCA has been formally questioned TWICE...so they reviewed their decision, and responded very confidently and firmly that premium offers no benefit.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
I get what you are saying, 87 is sufficient. A smoother idle is a benefit. You do you, I'll do me.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
I get what you are saying, 87 is sufficient. A smoother idle is a benefit. You do you, I'll do me.
I never said otherwise. If you are finding, whether through objective measurement or just your own preferences, that you aren't getting satisfactory results on 87, then by all means, go with premium. I agree 100%...as I said 18 pages-ish ago, there is no difference in behavior on my JL, thus I run 87.

That's how this whole mess started - I made essentially the above statement and was called out for it - "YOU MUST USE PREMIUM!!!" I was told.

Last edited:

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I disagree...I think an unbiased reader would conclude that you jumped into a conversation that you weren't prepared for because you didn't actually read it.

And you continue with the same fallacy that almost every single debate opponent in internet history has ever used when confronted with proof that they asked for - discrediting the proof. I'm not wasting more time on this when you can very easily search for yourself and find that GM produced many pushrod V6's over the years and they aren't alone. But it's not even relevant to the discussion so i'm done with it.
You can duck and weave but I've made my point. You thought the 3.6 is a pushrod engine. Then you tried to claim that it was a generic remark and there are lots of 3.6 pushrod engines. Now you're trying to say what you meant was there are lots of V6 pushrod engines. All of this because you are unable to admit you made a mistake. All of this because when it comes down to it you really don't know much about engines.

BTW, I did read the conversation before I jumped in. What I saw was a helpful attempt by Livernois to explain why you had observed what you did and how to test better in the future. You immediately started bashing him like the internet bully you are.

This is reaching again. You try to paint group A as "inexperienced" and the only ones who do not notice knock and group B as "experienced" because they notice knock. Don't get me wrong, there are certainly plenty of owners (of any vehicle) that don't notice when their vehicle knocks. But if there's one thing i've learned in my decades of being a subject matter expert in many fields - assuming you are the only smart guy in the room is a poor tactic. It's far better to assume that you are of average intelligence in any given context because it's overwhelmingly likely to be the truth. That's definitely the case here - I am part of group "B", with extensive experience in almost all aspects of technology automotive and otherwise (it's my career in fact), and I am telling you that there is no audible knock on my JL...and i'm also reminding you that that is how it is supposed to be (if your JL is functioning as designed), as you should know, being a fellow subject matter veteran yourself. I am also reminding you that there are many contributors to this thread that are more knowledgeable that you or I and saying the same thing.
Not at all. Group A's experience is just as valid as Group B. They are just different.

So then why has no one been able to produce any kind of proof? Again, you assume everyone here just backs out of their driveway, heads out to the closest straight flat road, and floors it, then goes "nope, nothing". But again you are making the classic assumption error. Many are smarter than that.
You've been shown data logs and dyno charts. We've explained the science behind this and what that data means. But it appears you lack the interest or ability to understand it.

This, taken completely out of the context of your post, is not an unfair evaluation. It's why I have been very careful to word my request for proof as "appreciable increase" and not just any increase...cause I have no doubt that it would be possible to prove an increase of some kind at the cylinder...but now we go back to the very beginning of this thread, to the question that was answered 18 pages ago - if that doesn't translate to an increase of some kind at the pavement....then what am I paying an additional $0.70-1.00 per gallon for?
For me, at 700 ft. elevation with a modified Jeep and as a frequent off roader, premium or in my case E85 is absolutely worth it. For you, in a stock Jeep that only sees pavement then regular is fine. Before you take offense, I'm not judging here, just laying out use cases.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I never said otherwise. If you are finding, whether through objective measurement or just your own preferences, that you aren't getting satisfactory results on 87, the by all means, go with premium. I agree 100%...as I said 18 pages-ish ago, there is no difference in behavior on my JL, thus I run 87.

That's how this whole mess started - I made essentially the above statement and was called out for it - "YOU MUST USE PREMIUM!!!" I was told.
That's not how it looks to me. Here is your post:
I've done this with every vehicle i've ever owned, still do - run three tanks premium, three tanks regular. I've NEVER seen tangible gains in power or fuel mileage by running higher octane gas with no other changes, and the JL is no exception.
Here is the reply that got your panties in a wad:
Then it never left long term knock status.

The JL, as with most chryslers, will learn repeated knock situations and apply "long term knock control" where it pulls out timing no matter what. The MOAB we have was pulling out 6* of spark almost everywhere with 93 in it after the last tank was 87. with 87 it was 6* plus another 1-2. The point was that unless the ECM says that it's safe to start adding more timing back in, it won't. no matter how many tanks of 93 you run. You would need to meet the load/speed requirements to get it to start learning timing back in.

OR, disconnect the ECM, and it will revert on it's own. but the JL heavily knocks on 87 octane, and should be on 91+ for all engines. that's why they audibly spark knock with 87.
and here is your response:
I did this for every single vehicle...it was part of the process. Run three tanks premium (FIRST, so it should have never pulled timing to begin with), reset ECM, run three tanks regular.

This is absolute nonsense. It's really disheartening to hear a vendor that so many respect say something like this. It's not impossible that you have seen some vehicles that do this, but it's absolutely NOT true that they all do it. More importantly, pulling timing to quell spark knock is not a "problem" to be fixed - it's a normal function of an ECM, and it happens on all grades of fuel regardless...just introduce a sudden charge of humidity into the intake air and watch it pull like crazy, for example. Telling everyone they need to run higher octane to stop an ECM from doing what it's designed to do really makes me question why i'd want to trust you with my ECM.
You Sir, are an internet bully.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
You can duck and weave but I've made my point. You thought the 3.6 is a pushrod engine. Then you tried to claim that it was a generic remark and there are lots of 3.6 pushrod engines. Now you're trying to say what you meant was there are lots of V6 pushrod engines. All of this because you are unable to admit you made a mistake. All of this because when it comes down to it you really don't know much about engines.

BTW, I did read the conversation before I jumped in. What I saw was a helpful attempt by Livernois to explain why you had observed what you did and how to test better in the future. You immediately started bashing him like the internet bully you are.
BS - you are trying to bolster your position by discrediting me. But you are using a comment from a completely unrelated thread that you didn't even understand to begin with. So you're wrong, and it wouldn't even matter if you were right.

Livernois rudely pounced on me telling me I was wrong for not running premium. If you call that helpful then you have a very different definition of helpful than i've ever seen. What about all the other guys who jumped on Livernois for the same reason? Are they all "internet bullies" too?

You've been shown data logs and dyno charts. We've explained the science behind this and what that data means. But it appears you lack the interest or ability to understand it.
What does it take for me to get through to you and the few other keyboard mechanics in here that I am not disputing the data logs and dyno charts. I saw them and I KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN. Nothing needs to be explained to me...I have actually done a better job of explaining things than you have. The problem is simply that the data presented does not answer the question posed.

For me, at 700 ft. elevation with a modified Jeep and as a frequent off roader, premium or in my case E85 is absolutely worth it. For you, in a stock Jeep that only sees pavement then regular is fine. Before you take offense, I'm not judging here, just laying out use cases.
Whether or not a Jeep is stock and how much it offroads isn't necessarily relevant here. Atmospheric conditions and the quality of fuel used are far more likely to be the deciding factors. But yeah, you may very well find that in the conditions you drive in, and with the fuel available in your area, you need to run higher octane or your engine runs rough. Again, this was covered 18+ pages ago.

We need to call the game at this point. You are arguing with me for the sake of arguing with me, or perhaps you feel you need to save face. You don't. We don't really disagree on much and I can live with what we do disagree on. Lets shake hands and go home.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
You Sir, are an internet bully.
Your opinion is noted. I disagree. If you think the above posts present me as the bully, then you have a very unique view of aggression.

Again, lets put this to rest and stop wasting everyone's time.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Just move to CO, all we have is 91, 87, and 85. ;). and we have elevation, figure out why we have 85? ;)

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Children. Personal insults and lack of respect for opposing views heavily clouds any intelligence you may bring to the table. Hard to learn when one has to sift through the BS to get to actual facts and experience.

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
Children. Personal insults and lack of respect for opposing views heavily clouds any intelligence you may bring to the table. Hard to learn when one has to sift through the BS to get to actual facts and experience.
that's why I utilized the ignore button on that one certain member. Its a shame people stoop to these levels though over a subject like this.
Sponsored