3.6 - For Those Running Premium Fuel

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
i said this earlier in this thread and will say again.

Jeep is trying everything that they can to squeeze every last MPG out of the cafe standards. If they could show that using 93 octane would get an additional MPG against their CAFE standard, they would require it (Instead of 87). Jeep does not care how much you spend per gallon, they only care what fines they have to pay under CAFE. This would be a HUGE win under CAFE for them..... it could save them many millions....... but, gee..... they haven’t bothered to capture this low hanging fruit. I wonder why?
For starters, because 93 isn't available in much of the country. I'm sure jeep would miss selling wranglers in California, for instance.

But, please, educate us all on how much jeep would save under CAFE if the wrangler got 1 more MPG. Then, quantify the impact to sales if they made that move.

I don't think anyone here thinks there's any business sense in paying 20% more for fuel to net a 5% economy gain. But that doesn't mean it isn't possible.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I have no idea how much FCA would save under CAFE standards by simply requiring a higher octane. But, I can assure you that if they could get another mile or two per gallon by simply requiring higher octane for the same engines they sure as hell wouldn’t spend the MILLIONS needs to develop things like etorque. They would simply require Higher octane.

therefore, I am quite suspect that higher octane alone creates better gas mileage. If it did, Jeep would simply “require it” and save themselves all the other costs of Cafe standards development.

OP
OP
Goosed

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Supposedly this website stays up to date, in my area they just built a new Circle K a couple months back and it’s listed on here. My only question is Knowing the fuel industry and depots that are around us, I can’t see dedicated or split tankers Actually filling up with ethanol free since there are so few places that have it.
Forgot to post website:

https://www.pure-gas.org/

OP
OP
Goosed

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So I stopped by the Circle K offering 90 octane ethanol free fuel close to my house... it was literally a $1 more per gallon. Yeah that’s not going to happen. $3.35/gal vs. $2.35/gal. Might get another MPG if we were lucky. Smoking crack.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
In my experience, the premium gas does pay for itself. This is going back multiple vehicles back to 1994. Now in California, the math may not make sense. Also depends on the ECU tune. But typically you reap benefits.

Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
The jeep just seems quicker with the premium vs the regular gas. I have no more detonation knock at low speeds where as before it used to knock lightly upon acceleration at low speeds only. I might try to use a mid grade for a few tanks. I always used shell a top tier gasoline

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Livernois has verified the 3.6 runs better on 93 octane. They also showed a 10hp gain on the dyno.
A Dyno is a hard tool to use as a measure of performance unless they did it on the same day, same conditions and the same operator. Obviously, if you are hearing pinging and getting detonation, it may not only be octane rating, but the consistency of the quality of gas. Another poster shared that they use Shell, a top tier gas. On the numerous cars that I have owned, tuned and datalogged, I have found Shell to be very inconsistent on quality. Two take away a from this. One, the quality of gas and not octane rating may be the factor here. The other is, and I have mentioned this before, unless you are datalogging, you really have no idea what your motor is doing.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
A Dyno is a hard tool to use as a measure of performance unless they did it on the same day, same conditions and the same operator. Obviously, if you are hearing pinging and getting detonation, it may not only be octane rating, but the consistency of the quality of gas. Another poster shared that they use Shell, a top tier gas. On the numerous cars that I have owned, tuned and datalogged, I have found Shell to be very inconsistent on quality. Two take away a from this. One, the quality of gas and not octane rating may be the factor here. The other is, and I have mentioned this before, unless you are datalogging, you really have no idea what your motor is doing.
They are a well know shop with a good reputation. I am confident the information is sound.

They also have a tune out for the JL that increases power depending on what octane you put in. A 25hp increase with 87oct I believe all the way up to 50hp on E85. I am sure that is where that information comes from, all the testing they put into developing that tune.

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are a well know shop with a good reputation. I am confident the information is sound.

They also have a tune out for the JL that increases power depending on what octane you put in. A 25hp increase with 87oct I believe all the way up to 50hp on E85. I am sure that is where that information comes from, all the testing they put into developing that tune.
You’re not getting 25hp from a tune on a NA motor and your not getting 50hp from e85 on this motor as well. People can post what ever they want. Dyno operators can find numbers.

OP
OP
Goosed

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You’re not getting 25hp from a tune on a NA motor and your not getting 50hp from e85 on this motor as well. People can post what ever they want. Dyno operators can find numbers.
Well I’ll certainly take your word for it since you are a completely unknown source with no background against the owner of a successful well known company like Livernois that has a consistent track record of tuning several cars both for consumers and race teams...

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I’ll certainly take your word for it since you are a completely unknown source with no background against the owner of a successful well known company like Livernois that has a consistent track record of tuning several cars both for consumers and race teams...
I have owned over 61 cars in 20 years. Raced and tuned most of those cars. So yeah, I have experience.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6