First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i'm running 87 and i'm getting 19-20 mpg around town. on the highway and interstate i get any where from 25 to 29.6 mpg. so i'm happy to stick with 89 at 2.05 / gal. not paying 3.09++ for 93.
Sponsored

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Only pattern I have verified is Ethanol sucks!
I tried to get Jeep to datalog my motor. They claim they didn’t have that ability, I suspect my dealer service are just a bunch of glorified parts fitters. I’m waiting for a dyno tuner that can tune the JL software.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP:

I would look at all the exogenous factors that may be impacting your calculation.

think of it this way......

if jeep could get an extra 3 MPG out of the same engine by upping the Octane used, they would require it in a heartbeat and many of their CAFE woes would go away.

i tend to think that there is something else going on in the mix Here.

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
I was coming back from dropping my kid off at college this past weekend and when I stopped to fill up at Sheetz I noticed 88 octane E15. Has anyone used this in their Jeep and if you did, did you notice any difference?

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep TJ, 2005 Dodge Ram, 2018 JLU Rubicon
It would be interesting to put the Jeep on a dyno and see if the knock sensor is sensing knock and retarding the timing. Also, with the factory tune does the timing advance until it senses knock then back off timing to get as much power as possible. Just my 2 cents.

Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Only pattern I have verified is Ethanol sucks!
My BMW dealer told me to use fuel system cleaner every 5,000 miles due to the negative effects of Ethanol. Since day one, I have been using 90 octane Ethanol Free gas in the JL and consistent 21 MPG with 6-speed and 32" MT's.

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
My BMW dealer told me to use fuel system cleaner every 5,000 miles due to the negative effects of Ethanol. Since day one, I have been using 90 octane Ethanol Free gas in the JL and consistent 21 MPG with 6-speed and 32" MT's.
I haven't seen an Ethanol-Free gas pump in I don't know how long, but I did just find one using the one website that isn't close but isn't exactly crazy far. Might fill up with that the next time I'm out that way depending on the price.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

I haven't seen an Ethanol-Free gas pump in I don't know how long, but I did just find one using the one website that isn't close but isn't exactly crazy far. Might fill up with that the next time I'm out that way depending on the price.
Some Wawa's are starting to carry Ethanol-Free, but I would check out any new Rutter's as that is where I have had luck (and for anyone outside of the Mid-Atlantic, no, Wawa is not slang for Wal-Mart).

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
For those running premium fuel, what are you seeing (MPG increase and overall improvements if any).

I’m seeing the 3.6 is 11.5:1 compression, and more and more forum discussions for other vehicles that run the Pentastar are using premium with good success.

weather and wind have been fairly consistent here in NE Ohio and over the last 6 days I ran through 2 tanks, seeing just over 3 MPG better on highway runs back and forth to the same place helping my father in law move his inventory from a Snap On truck.

was getting 17 to 17.5 MPG andover the last two tanks of premium have been seeing 20.7 to 21.1. Didn’t have any knock issues or anything before this so running performance (if you can call the Wrangler anything performance related) hasn’t changed much.

Just interested in other feedback.
The first month I owned my 3.6L JL, I ran 87 and never experienced any pinging. I do however run 93 in it now. I did not notice any MPG or performance difference. I do like knowing that premium fuels have a bit more detergent added to them over 87 or 89, that's why I continue to use 93 premium.

Sponsored

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
Some Wawa's are starting to carry Ethanol-Free, but I would check out any new Rutter's as that is where I have had luck (and for anyone outside of the Mid-Atlantic, no, Wawa is not slang for Wal-Mart).
Yeah the new Rutters up by Red Rabbit in Duncannon, PA apparently has it so that is where I'm going to check. The Sheetz (I'm not in WaWa territory anymore) as the 88 E-15 now, so one is adding more and the other is removing it lol. Though I heard the new Rutters is a 90 octane E-Free verse some places that are 88 E-Free.

OP
OP
Goosed

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Supposedly this website stays up to date, in my area they just built a new Circle K a couple months back and it’s listed on here. My only question is Knowing the fuel industry and depots that are around us, I can’t see dedicated or split tankers Actually filling up with ethanol free since there are so few places that have it.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Average mpg with 87 - 16.03 (25 fill ups)
Average mpg with 93 - 17.46 (21 fill ups)
For all those haters out there that berate someone for using higher octane, take a look....

So, thank you for posting those numbers. I usually see a little bump in MPG using 91 oct, nice to know that using 93 will gain some more. Too bad AZ only gets the crappy 91.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
For all those haters out there that berate someone for using higher octane, take a look....

So, thank you for posting those numbers. I usually see a little bump in MPG using 91 oct, nice to know that using 93 will gain some more. Too bad AZ only gets the crappy 91.
No problem. In case anyone cares, this is a Sport with 2in lift and 35in Pat M/Ts.

Pre lift mpg was 19.28 (45 fill ups)

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
i said this earlier in this thread and will say again.

Jeep is trying everything that they can to squeeze every last MPG out of the cafe standards. If they could show that using 93 octane would get an additional MPG against their CAFE standard, they would require it (Instead of 87). Jeep does not care how much you spend per gallon, they only care what fines they have to pay under CAFE. This would be a HUGE win under CAFE for them..... it could save them many millions....... but, gee..... they haven’t bothered to capture this low hanging fruit. I wonder why?
Sponsored