3.6 - For Those Running Premium Fuel

PsychoTrucker81

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
For those of you saying that premium (93) doesn’t contain ethanol and regular (87) does, where is this the case? It’s new to me, all grades have the same amount of ethanol here where I am in Texas.
Over the last year, my local stations no longer have 93(ethanol blend) and instead now have 90/91 pure gasoline instead. I’m in Northeast PA
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Love Ethanol free (and so do all ,my vehicles), Hate Ethanol blends (and so do all my vehicles) :( :(

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
I get 20 mpg with 85 octane at 7700 feet elevation. I routinely drive over 12,000 feet on and off road. Never had a ping, knock or scuttle.

They sell ethanol free 91 octane here. I only run it in my lawn equipment and classic cars. The ethanol eats rubber hoses and internal carburetor rubber and gaskets.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Im at 21, 22 mpg avg driving and always 75 on. the highway. I switched back to 87 and it was sluggish. Went right back to premium, it also got rid of the low rpm knock

OP
OP
Goosed

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Ethanol demand is sky high right now due to sanitizers. FDA has approved makers to use fuel grade ethanol, and the ethanol producers are making more per gallon than if they sold to fuel producers.

where pure ethanol may have sold in the $.50-$.70/lb range 6 months back, it is more like $1.00-$1.25/lb. right now. Been a crazy year for those producers.

I think fuel would be even cheaper right now without ethanol added to it. Wouldn’t it be great to see this option.

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Been putting in 93 from the beginning so I have nothing to compare it to , 3.6L

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I'm in Phoenix (Hell on Earth) and run Shell 87. No knocking, no pinging and gas mileage has never been below 20 mpg. I use miles / gallons for calculating.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Ah, this old chestnut again. I ran 89 Octane when working in the Rio Grande Valley where it was roughly sea level and 125 degrees out just because I was trying to eliminate some of the pinging that the 3.6 is known for. Didn't see any increases in mileage when averaging several tanks though. Normally back home I run 87, if I swing by a Buc-ees I will see how expensive the ethanol free variety of 87 is. Now in West by God Texas, where I am at 4k elevation, and go up to 6k fairly regularly, I am running 85. Best tank so far was on 85. Is it because of the octane? No, you freaking idiots. It's because I was running downhill for most of the tank.

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, this old chestnut again. I ran 89 Octane when working in the Rio Grande Valley where it was roughly sea level and 125 degrees out just because I was trying to eliminate some of the pinging that the 3.6 is known for. Didn't see any increases in mileage when averaging several tanks though. Normally back home I run 87, if I swing by a Buc-ees I will see how expensive the ethanol free variety of 87 is. Now in West by God Texas, where I am at 4k elevation, and go up to 6k fairly regularly, I am running 85. Best tank so far was on 85. Is it because of the octane? No, you freaking idiots. It's because I was running downhill for most of the tank.
Haha, my magic 8 ball says the non-ethanol gas will improve your mpg by 10% or so. Crazy stuff
Sponsored