Goosed

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you see a difference then use premium.
Don't post about it on a forum, because well, you see.
Someone can find an article from someone that says blah blah blah premium does nothing when it says you can use 87.
Maybe it is because it is july and all the planets are lined up.

I would believe my own eyes and brain, and not listen to naysayers that read an article once.
Suppose I set my self up for failure. But then again we all did when we created our accounts. Figured the responses would be in line with believing in blinker fluid and Bigfoot.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
For those of you saying that premium (93) doesn’t contain ethanol and regular (87) does, where is this the case? It’s new to me, all grades have the same amount of ethanol here where I am in Texas.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
@ChocolateThunder That could be the main reason why people in Texas are seeing shit for MPG's in these things. Rated for 22 on the highway is straight bull poo-poo. Not that I got my Jeep for MPG's, but damn these ratings are have to be downhill with a tailwind.

Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
For those of you saying that premium (93) doesn’t contain ethanol and regular (87) does, where is this the case? It’s new to me, all grades have the same amount of ethanol here where I am in Texas.
In NC, some gas stations sell non-ethanol gas (i.e., pure gas) ranging from ~90 to 93 octane.
Some gas stations only have ethanol added high octane gas (e.g., 90% gas hi-test).
Some gas stations even sell 100 Octane pure gas to appeal to the folks who have race cars.
Non-ethanol gas is often used (recommended) in open fuel systems (e.g.., boats, lawnmowers, etc.).
On the trail, my JLR really likes the 93 Octane pure gas.

Last edited:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
@ChocolateThunder That could be the main reason why people in Texas are seeing shit for MPG's in these things. Rated for 22 on the highway is straight bull poo-poo. Not that I got my Jeep for MPG's, but damn these ratings are have to be downhill with a tailwind.
Yes. The EPA “estimate” as well as user reported MPG are a fantasy for me. I’ve gotten kind of close on a long 200 mile freeway trip driving at 63 mph. But nowhere near that in normal everyday conditions. Sea level and relatively flat. But all stations with the exception of a handful of specialty stations scattered around the Houston market are mandated to sell 10+% ethanol gas. All grades. Good for EPA compliance, bad for mileage.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I've had no problems running 87 octane, even when hauling my 2,800 lb travel trailer in the summertime heat. The few times I tried a higher octane I did not notice any benefit so I just stick with 87 octane..

I did have a 1.5-2 mpg increase when I ran some ethanol free 87 octane gasoline.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
For those running premium fuel, what are you seeing (MPG increase and overall improvements if any).

I’m seeing the 3.6 is 11.5:1 compression, and more and more forum discussions for other vehicles that run the Pentastar are using premium with good success.

weather and wind have been fairly consistent here in NE Ohio and over the last 6 days I ran through 2 tanks, seeing just over 3 MPG better on highway runs back and forth to the same place helping my father in law move his inventory from a Snap On truck.

was getting 17 to 17.5 MPG andover the last two tanks of premium have been seeing 20.7 to 21.1. Didn’t have any knock issues or anything before this so running performance (if you can call the Wrangler anything performance related) hasn’t changed much.

Just interested in other feedback.
Octane
For those running premium fuel, what are you seeing (MPG increase and overall improvements if any).

I’m seeing the 3.6 is 11.5:1 compression, and more and more forum discussions for other vehicles that run the Pentastar are using premium with good success.

weather and wind have been fairly consistent here in NE Ohio and over the last 6 days I ran through 2 tanks, seeing just over 3 MPG better on highway runs back and forth to the same place helping my father in law move his inventory from a Snap On truck.

was getting 17 to 17.5 MPG andover the last two tanks of premium have been seeing 20.7 to 21.1. Didn’t have any knock issues or anything before this so running performance (if you can call the Wrangler anything performance related) hasn’t changed much.

Just interested in other feedback.
Here’s some feedback: 3 mpg gain is a crock of shit! It’s somewhat insulting to think forum members are dumb enough to believe it and worse yet, try it! Wow
Sponsored