David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Well these days most government agencies are reliable with information and studies.... wait, no.
Your right, you should run race fuel at 110 octane exclusively in you NA six cylinder. If 87 to 93 got you +3 MPG then 110 should be good for +12, right?
Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I can tell the difference between Shell 93 and other top tier premium gas (Sunoco, BP, Conoco,...) with same octane rating. Shell 93 is the only thing that completely eliminates low RPM pinging in my 3.6 during the hot/humid mid-atlantic summer months. in winter, I can get away with 87 or 89. I don't really pay attention to mpg so dunno about that.

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
I can tell the difference between Shell 93 and other top tier premium gas (Sunoco, BP, Conoco,...) with same octane rating. Shell 93 is the only thing that completely eliminates low RPM pinging in my 3.6 during the hot/humid mid-atlantic summer months. in winter, I can get away with 87 or 89. I don't really pay attention to mpg so dunno about that.
+1 on this

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
OP said nothing about knock on his claim of +3 from 93 octane. In fact, he said he had no knock on 87.

I count on your posts and how they rely on information related but not included to seem relevant. You did not disappoint this evening. Bravo.

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Investigate and research the 3.6 a little more and it may surprise you that the higher compression engine thrives on higher octane fuel. Believe Livernoise just posted something about their tuner recently and also provided background info on how much better the 3.6 delivers all around with premium fuel. I can’t find the thread right now but I’ll post it if I can.
The JL tune is not the same as other 3.6L in cars. If you tune your JL 3.6L for 93 or ethanol fuel then yes it will make more power and maybe more MPG.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Another factor to consider is that some high octane fuel not does have ethanol (i.e., pure gas). Non-ethanol gas has more BTU's (Power) than gas with ethanol. However, ethanol reduces the chances that knocking (pre-detonation) will occur.

At the end of the day, max HP and max MPG is a complicated equation that has many variables.

Last edited:

breakerbaker

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2.0 JLU Sport S, 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650, 2003 100th Anniversary Harley-Davidson Softtail
Occupation
Navy Doc
Pretty awesome video from Chris. Explains in depth with some great animations. This should leave you all with no questions

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
For those running premium fuel, what are you seeing (MPG increase and overall improvements if any).

I’m seeing the 3.6 is 11.5:1 compression, and more and more forum discussions for other vehicles that run the Pentastar are using premium with good success.

weather and wind have been fairly consistent here in NE Ohio and over the last 6 days I ran through 2 tanks, seeing just over 3 MPG better on highway runs back and forth to the same place helping my father in law move his inventory from a Snap On truck.

was getting 17 to 17.5 MPG andover the last two tanks of premium have been seeing 20.7 to 21.1. Didn’t have any knock issues or anything before this so running performance (if you can call the Wrangler anything performance related) hasn’t changed much.

Just interested in other feedback.
Is it possible the premium was straight gas and the other gas 10% ethanol? On vacation last year I saw a 3 to 4 mpg variance between 87 octane straight gas and 10% ethanol.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
For those running premium fuel, what are you seeing (MPG increase and overall improvements if any).

I’m seeing the 3.6 is 11.5:1 compression, and more and more forum discussions for other vehicles that run the Pentastar are using premium with good success.

weather and wind have been fairly consistent here in NE Ohio and over the last 6 days I ran through 2 tanks, seeing just over 3 MPG better on highway runs back and forth to the same place helping my father in law move his inventory from a Snap On truck.

was getting 17 to 17.5 MPG andover the last two tanks of premium have been seeing 20.7 to 21.1. Didn’t have any knock issues or anything before this so running performance (if you can call the Wrangler anything performance related) hasn’t changed much.

Just interested in other feedback.
I only run the best fuel we can get here which is RON98 which is said to be the US 93 equivalent. I get 16.8 MPG or a tad better in mixed use (3.6, auto, no eTorque).

During cold months it might not matter as much but during hot weather you can notice a difference in low rpms and under load, which is almost everytime you accelerate in traffic.

A tuner in the forum has said that the engines run cooler with higher octane fuel also.

All that aside, premium fuel is sometimes more than the octane rating. I want to delay EGR and the like clogging up as much as I can also.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
If you see a difference then use premium.
Don't post about it on a forum, because well, you see.
Someone can find an article from someone that says blah blah blah premium does nothing when it says you can use 87.
Maybe it is because it is july and all the planets are lined up.

I would believe my own eyes and brain, and not listen to naysayers that read an article once.
Sponsored