Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you saying that premium (93) doesn’t contain ethanol and regular (87) does, where is this the case? It’s new to me, all grades have the same amount of ethanol here where I am in Texas.
In Georgia, its the same way. Ethanol in all grades unless you find the occasional station selling an ethanol free gas (its becoming more common).

I was surprised on a recent motorcycle trip to Wyoming and South Dakota that most of the stations I stopped at in the Midwest states had 91-93 in ethanol free, but not with ethanol (regular and mid grades did have it) My motorcycle reccomends premium. I got fantastic mileage on that fuel.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Goosed

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Is it possible the premium was straight gas and the other gas 10% ethanol? On vacation last year I saw a 3 to 4 mpg variance between 87 octane straight gas and 10% ethanol.
Unfortunately we don’t see anyone here with no ethanol fuel except there is a Sheetz in town that I believe states 88 with no ethanol. Haven’t tried this yet, it’s priced a few pennies above mid grade fuel. Interested now, though.

OP
OP
Goosed

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Ironic considering your post is based off a week of driving. If you enjoy wasting your money by all means you do you.
Another hurt soul based on my post. Too many sensitive people on here...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goosed

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Octane

Here’s some feedback: 3 mpg gain is a crock of shit! It’s somewhat insulting to think forum members are dumb enough to believe it and worse yet, try it! Wow
I think so farwith my time on this forum you’ve been the most apt to be Mr. Smarty pants and think you know it all. Would love to live inside your mind for a few minutes maybe. But would imagine I wouldn’t have a lot of friends...

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
It's not absurd to think running higher octane fuel in a high-compression engine can create benefits in both fuel economy and performance due to the ability to run more aggressive timing. Depending on the ECM software, there could be no difference or a fairly significant difference. There is at least 1 well-respected tuner that thinks it does make a difference on the JL, and datalogging and/or dyno testing could easily confirm or refute this.

To whomever posted the EPA tidbit - my understanding is that federal taxes are the same per gallon whether you purchase 87 or 93. From their perspective, the feds do better if you buy gas with lower economy.

Regarding the concerns over 10% ethanol: ~30% less efficiency on 10% of the fuel = a ~3% net difference in economy. Nothing to get too worked up about IMO.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I think so farwith my time on this forum you’ve been the most apt to be Mr. Smarty pants and think you know it all. Would love to live inside your mind for a few minutes maybe. But would imagine I wouldn’t have a lot of friends...
Thanks for the 3 year old child reply. My friends work on not trying to bullshit each other. Try that and see what happens.

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
The confusion here is that a blanket statement cannot answer a complex question. The basic question of does a High Octane fuel yield better gas mileage, the simple answer is no.

However, it CAN yield higher gas mileage. This answer depends on an individual case. There are too many unknowns unless you are in a controlled environment like a lab to test for this.

Unknowns or variables to each drive and certainly each driver:
What's in the fuel and how much of each additive (I believe the fuel is mainly Octane and heptane but that may be dated now).

Temperature, Humidity, Air pressure will all affect how the engine burns fuel.
Load, wind direction and speed, Tire size, tire pressure, the Aerodynamics of your rig (cough, cough; I can't believe I just brought up coefficient of drag in a Jeep forum...please forgive me) :)

And don't forget, the computer is constantly adjusting fuel/air mixture and timing. So unless you have your jeep hooked up to a device to record what the computer is doing you don't really know. ie - the "check engine" light will not come on in a case where the computer is adjusting timing to reduce a detected knock so long as it is within range of normal operation. This is the period where a HIgher octane fuel WILL produce better mpg...

Point is this is easy to dismiss with a simple no, but that's not going to be the case for everyone in all cases...

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Just dropped in to see what the fuss is all about and couldn’t stop laughing after reading this thread. :CWL: :LOL::CWL:

I wish more people would read their owner’s manual for proper Vehicle Maintance and care. Fuel requirements are listed based on the engine.
Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6 - For Those Running Premium Fuel 2F4FDE51-21B1-4229-A8B3-DEF8A51E1E59
Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6 - For Those Running Premium Fuel 752D000E-1300-404D-A5D9-801E6FFB230F

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Just dropped in to see what the fuss is all about and couldn’t stop laughing after reading this thread. :CWL: :LOL::CWL:

I wish more people would read their owner’s manual for proper Vehicle Maintance and care. Fuel requirements are listed based on the engine.
2F4FDE51-21B1-4229-A8B3-DEF8A51E1E59.jpeg
752D000E-1300-404D-A5D9-801E6FFB230F.jpeg
If this was a 2.0 thread, and as such your post was somewhat relevant, what point are you trying to make?

edit: I see now the tiny image was for the 3.6.
Modern engines do realtime adjustments to ignition timing along with a ton of other parameters. The reason you don't hear knocking on lower grade fuels is often that the ECM is able to retard timing enough to deal with it. It doesn't indicate that the engine is running optimally.

Again, data logging has the answers if anyone really wants to dig.