3.6 - For Those Running Premium Fuel

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th, 2020 Challenger Scat Pack, 2010 Tahoe Z71
I don't care what anyone else says. I know for a fact that my Jeep runs like absolute dog shit on 87, and so I switched to 91. World of difference.
This is exactly it - and I want to make clear that I am not calling you out at all, you need to be happy with your vehicle and i'd feel the same way in your shoes because i'm very OCD - but having said that, mine runs beautifully on 87. No loss of power, no problematic knocking or pinging, nothing. Even more importantly, I already did the "premium test" and got absolutely nothing out of it. My 3.6l averages 20.5-21mpg on both regular and premium, and power and smoothness is the same.

We need to understand that everyone is different and every situation is different. There are differences between vehicles built in different runs, weather and climate differences, altitude differences, terrain differences, differences in the way we drive (i.e. my wife gets an extra 1-1.5mpg out of any vehicle she drives in comparison to me), that explain why some of us feel the need to run premium and others don't. We need to get away from this "YOU NEED TO RUN PREMIUM OR YOU'LL BLOW UP YOUR ENGINE YA'LL!!!!!". It's a long debunked myth.
Advertisement

iboostgti335

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
I have been filling up with 93 for nearly a decade in other cars, so I followed suit with my 3.6. I have no idea if it runs better on premium vs regular, its just what I am used to using.

iboostgti335

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Thank you
Sincerely,
Big Oil
Well yes, but they were all modified forced induction cars that I could never get away running regular in. One was actually 100 octane only. Plus, fuel is cheaper than replacing fuel injectors.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plus, fuel is cheaper than replacing fuel injectors.
Is it? This claim made me wonder, so I did some math. Up here, premium fuel costs $0.60-1.00 more than regular. That works out to an additional $560 per year in fuel costs for a standard 15k mile per year life. Your injectors will last at least 100k miles even with crappy fuel, so at 15k/year that's over six and a half years or $3700 in additional fuel cost. Injector replacement should be in the $600-800 range.

So for me at least, injectors are way cheaper. Seems to me like just dumping in a bottle of injector cleaner with each oil change would be the best of both worlds.

iboostgti335

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Is it? This claim made me wonder, so I did some math. Up here, premium fuel costs $0.60-1.00 more than regular. That works out to an additional $560 per year in fuel costs for a standard 15k mile per year life. Your injectors will last at least 100k miles even with crappy fuel, so at 15k/year that's over six and a half years or $3700 in additional fuel cost. Injector replacement should be in the $600-800 range.

So for me at least, injectors are way cheaper. Seems to me like just dumping in a bottle of injector cleaner with each oil change would be the best of both worlds.
Not try argue here. I wasn't speaking towards Jeep fuel injectors, as I stated. The fully built motor on 36psi of boost and methanol injection in my Subaru needed new injectors every 20k miles. Again, completely different car, completely different scenario.

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

See those two BMWs in @iboostgti335's signature? $3700 probably didn't even break even.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not try argue here. I wasn't speaking towards Jeep fuel injectors, as I stated. The fully built motor on 36psi of boost and methanol injection in my Subaru needed new injectors every 20k miles. Again, completely different car, completely different scenario.
Me neither, but that's insane. Also why i've learned to stick with big motors for big power.

See those two BMWs in @iboostgti335's signature? $3700 probably didn't even break even.
For fuel injectors? BMW isn't out of line. Maybe a tad more expensive but nowhere near $3k. I had a 2004 M5 back in the day and aside from the inordinate amount of time it spent in the shop and and horrifically bad electrical system, it wasn't especially expensive to fix.

Nonetheless, we're talking about Jeeps here, not BMWs.

iboostgti335

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Me neither, but that's insane. Also why i've learned to stick with big motors for big power.
Bigger is better. Its the Murican way.

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
For fuel injectors? BMW isn't out of line. Maybe a tad more expensive but nowhere near $3k. I had a 2004 M5 back in the day and aside from the inordinate amount of time it spent in the shop and and horrifically bad electrical system, it wasn't especially expensive to fix.

Nonetheless, we're talking about Jeeps here, not BMWs.
I know, I forgot to indicate my sarcasm.

Advertisement

Winjet

Advertisement