First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
I believe we're arguing different things. I'm asserting that by Top Tier standards, all stations of a certified brand must sell Top Tier gas at all levels (regular, mid, premium but excluding diesel). I believe you're either asserting that Top Tier means absolutely nothing (which if anyone could prove they would be a millionaire with a very easy lawsuit) or that sometimes, non-Top-Tier stations sell Top Tier gas (which is true, as they aren't claiming/advertising anything other than octane).

Either way, believe whatever you want. Peace.
Sponsored

Reactions: AFD

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Top tier fuel is marketing garbage. Gas stations pay fuel hauling companies to bring them their fuel. The same fuel goes into the tank at Walmart as what goes into the Shell station.
Ran a Top Tier station for many years and afaik, the Sunoco-branded tankers that were owned by a local Sunoco distributor (that had their own facility with additional race fuels) scheduled runs from the same refinery for themselves and other Sunoco filling stations. No other unbranded tankers ever made the deliveries and those same tankers would never make deliveries to any other stations. I knew the drivers, and they didn't just jump out of their Sunoco-branded uniforms and make stealth deliveries to other filling stations. Plus, our shipments were solely tankers of 87 and tankers of 93 (and at one time 94, all blended at the pump) and no other stations in our region carry anything higher than 91, so they certainly weren't paying extra for 93 when the highest octane they sell is 91.

I'd bet good money that the Sunoco race fuel delivered to NASCAR isn't just some high-octane version of the same crap dumped at your local Walmart and Costco. There's really no logical reason why they'd pay the higher prices for a larger amount of Top Tier detergents and other additives if they can just buy something else cheaper with the lowest amounts required. But sure, at some point the fuel is likely coming from the same source prior to that.

If Top Tier branded gas was a myth then why would your JL owner's manual specifically recommend that you use it?

Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6 - For Those Running Premium Fuel Image1

Last edited:

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
Costco is actually a top-tier brand…

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I believe we're arguing different things. I'm asserting that by Top Tier standards, all stations of a certified brand must sell Top Tier gas at all levels (regular, mid, premium but excluding diesel). I believe you're either asserting that Top Tier means absolutely nothing (which if anyone could prove they would be a millionaire with a very easy lawsuit) or that sometimes, non-Top-Tier stations sell Top Tier gas (which is true, as they aren't claiming/advertising anything other than octane).
This is correct. Top Tier is a legit standard.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Look, next time you see the guy who is delivering bulk fuel to the station, stop and take a minute to talk to him and ask him if the station you are getting your fuel from is any different than his other deliveries. Or which stations that he delivers to. I used to think there was a difference, then my MIL remarried to a guy who delivers fuel. He picks it up from the exact same point at the refinery, and delivered to all the stations I mentioned before with the exact same fuel going in everyones tank.
Sponsored