3.6 etorque engine whine

Nailgun

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR,1989 YJ
I have a 2021 JLUR. The engine is pretty annoying and I just don’t remember it being there when I bought it. Almost sounds like an alternator whine but I know it doesn’t have a conventional type alternator. I was thinking maybe power steering pump too but the dealer looked at it last week and said it was the idler pulley. They replaced the pulley but it did not fix the noise. Has anyone experienced something like that?
We had -20C this morning and I heard this when it started up. It doesn't change when you vary the rpm. To me, it sounds more like a vibration caused by something not correctly isolated. It went away quickly enough. I'll get an audio clip of it some morning if it continues. I don't believe this has anything to do with the etorque as this noise seems to resonate from the back part of the drivers side engine bay.

Edit.....this was a new sound that turned out to be just from the cold. Most every engine I have ever owned made some sort of groan or whine in the deep cold. This was not E-torque related.
Advertisement

Last edited:

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 crew cab big horn 4x4
Hello all

I know this is a diff. vehicle but thought I would share my experience. The wife and I bought a 2020 Ram e-Torque and it was nice and quiet for about 2K miles. Then it started to whine a little, then it got worse, and worse, eventually you could hear me start the truck down the block. It also did not go away once warmed up. I suspected the E-Torque. I know this is old school but I stuck a 2x4 on the E-Torque and put my ear to it. I had no doubt it was coming from the E-Torque. (Also it does sound very much like the old power steering pumps when they were low on fluid or going bad)

Took it in to the dealership and told them what was going on. They agreed at first listen it sounded like the E-Torque. I asked them if they knew if it was suppose to sound like that and they said no, to their knowledge it should be perfectly quiet.

The next day they called and said they confirmed it was the E-Torque making the noise. They ordered one and replaced it. It has been baby butt smooth and quiet for over a year now.

Personally I believe this is what may have caused the issue. The truck was MFG in mid 2019, it sat at the dealership until Dec. of 2020 when I bought it. They do not start these things often enough or drive them while at the dealership. In fact I know at times the batteries even die sitting there and they have to charge or even replace them at times.

So I think the bearing in the E-Torque may have dried out some, enough to cause it to start whining, and once it starts it probably will not stop. (Of course it could just be defective ass bearings also:devil:

Good luck to all the E-Torqers out there.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (gone), '22 JLR 3.6 (current)
Anyone notice whining when driving? My 2.0T eTorque used to make a whining sound right when you lift off the gas pedal and stop right when you step back on the gas. Happened from day 1. I noticed the same whine with my new 3.6 eTorque. A little whining noise right when I lift off the gas pedal and it stops right away when I press back down on the gas pedal. I also noticed it on other eTorque Wranglers. The eTorque belt might be the source of the noise? Or the generator?

Advertisement

Hothead Headliners

Advertisement