James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR (Crystal Granite)
Occupation
Sr. Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have an idea of tapping into the wires used for the AUX audio input to create a new female connector. This new connector will be behind the dash and used by my CB output. I know pin 7 is the ground, pin 5 left audio, pin 6 right audio, BUT it also has a pin 8 for audio signal detect..

This is where I believe I will have an issue since I do not know what type of female plug to buy to make this happen since it would have to be able to detect a plug being inserted. There are mechanical plugs and electrical (plus no real standard so several types). Could someone much smarter then I please point me to the correct terminology or parts I should look at to make this happen?

Thanks in advance..

(2018 JLU Sport - basic audio and media ports for this job)
Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Interesting... I was considering doing this as well, but haven't started digging into it too deeply yet. I have tapped a 3.5 female jack into an audio system before. Red and white are obviously right and left, then you unbraid the copper shielding and twist it into a ground "wire" for the third lead. I've never messed with anything with a 4th "audio signal detect" lead though. Did you have any luck?

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
So it looks like what you'd be looking for is a "4 pole" 3.5mm female jack. The only thing I haven't been able to find is a wiring diagram that indicates the 4th lead as an "audio signal detect". Everything I've seen shows the 4th lead as the Microphone. I have a feeling they're interchangeable because there are only so many tip/ring/sleeve configurations on the male plugs. Still going to try to verify this before I do anything permanent. Installing my Ham this week, so I'll be working on it...

OP
OP
HempelNet

HempelNet

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR (Crystal Granite)
Occupation
Sr. Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@tonygiotta Please keep me posted on your results as my findings was identical to yours on the 4th pin.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
@HempelNet I'm kind of on the fence about doing this now. I've spoken to a few people that have tapped their stereo's Aux input (not on JLs), and they have had mixed results. Not necessarily in the wiring end of it, but in that if you have a decent sound system with multiple speakers, it becomes difficult to find a spot that you can key the mic without creating a feedback loop. There's also the downside that you can't listen to your stereo while monitoring the CB, unless of course that audio signal detect lead automatically switches the Aux input on and off for you (my motorcycle's GPS works that way). I think I may try to figure out a way to flush mount a speaker somewhere in the upper portion of my roll bars instead.

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So... What if you bought a second Media Port (Like this one) and plugged it into the harness. You'd lose functionality of the original, but could place this block out of sight.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Great idea! Should work perfectly so far as wiring goes, but I'd definitely check for the feedback loop and system integration concerns I brought up in my previous post before dropping the $80 on it.
Sponsored