3.5" Full Droop - Be Warned

1. Zoobie

Zoobie Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU
    Liked:
    I have the MetalCloak JL Wrangler Game-Changer Suspension, 3.5", RockSport Edition lift on my JLU… I just got back from an amazing trip to Moab, where my MetalCloak performed awesome! However, there was some carnage and lessons learned... so sharing here so that others can learn.
    20181022_171707423_iOS.jpg

1. At full droop the front drive shaft comes in contact with the factory OEM skid (it’s really just a bar that goes across). On my trip to Moab, my front drive shaft was damaged…I am going to replace with an ADAMS.

2. On the front axle there is a cable for the electronic lockers on Rubicon's as well as a Center Axle Disconnect (CAD) cable, which are not long enough at full droop. On the rear there is a single cable for the electronic lockers that connects to the diff on Rubicon's. While on obstacles I got full droop and ended up ripping them both out of my front axle. The clips that tie the cables to the frame need to be cut to give additional slack... that should be sufficient or you may need to splice and lengthen. This really applies to anyone going with 3.5+ lifts.

IMG_2473.JPG

2. anotheraznguy

anotheraznguy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mojito JLUR
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    good to know, did you have issues with front brake line or the rear ebrake cable or rear locker cable?

3. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    JLUSS
    Liked:
    Interesting. I have a sport and have yet to hit full droop (don't even have quick discos so kinda hard atm), but my 3.5" kit included an "upgraded" driveshaft specifically for this, so I hope it will work out. I don't have a factory skid plate, but I do have the crossmembers, so it probably bolts to that and that is what it hits (?)

Hopefully some others will chime in, a LOT of ppl have a 3.5" lift, and in fact the Mopar 2" lift on a Rubicon yields a 3.5" lift from the factory Sport height, so that should be a lot of folks on here.

Otherwise, I will post back when I get to try this, but it won't be anytime super soon anyways my Jeep is 1000 miles away right now... :angry:

4. TroyBoy

TroyBoy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Troy
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR
    Liked:
    Route you ebrake cables under the frame cross member and remove the clips that hold the locker cables and FAD cable to the frame.

chevymitchell likes this.
  5. chevymitchell

chevymitchell Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Rubicon, 1969 Camaro SS, 2007 Grand Cherokee, 2016 KTM 450 XC-W
    Liked:
    Avionics Field Engineer (International)
    Garage Profiles:
    Metal Cloak has this on their website and they recommend cutting all the cable ties, as well.

upload_2018-11-19_15-26-20.png

ALEX-4LO and ads75 like this.
  6. JL_John

JL_John Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU
    Liked:
    I have the same MetalCloak 3.5" kit. What shocks are you running?

7. OP
    OP
    Zoobie

Zoobie Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU
    Liked:
    Yes, they recently added this... after feedback like mine which I sent them prior to posting here :)

Karl_in_Chicago likes this.
  8. Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Donnie
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR
    Liked:
    Glad I found this thread! I will be upgrading to the 3.5 inch MetalCloak lift soon!

9. RedJeep78

RedJeep78 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle(s):
    Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
    Liked:
    I have a 3.5 MC lift, and when it was first installed the front break lines were getting stretched and cutting off brake fluid on turns causing me to loose front braking.
    My installer had to add breakline slack and a added a special metal mount for the break lines. apparently the directions in the MC package didn't account for needing this.