Sponsored

3.0L EcoDiesel Jeep JL Wrangler Spied!

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
You pulling the trigger on a Diesel when the order banks open? Also, Lithia South Anchorage has a JLUR in Bikini if you want to see that color in person.
I’ve been waiting for that 3.0 for 11 years now. Judging by my experience with dealers up here thus far, I’ll be informing them of 3.0 availability in the order banks the day they open. I’ve seen bikini. Black is the only JLUR color I’d ever drive.
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I was actually impressed with the 3.0l diesel on the jls.... Ive driven multiple rubicon 3.0ls and am surprised with how zippy it is.... Im curious to see the price tag has it been released yet? Or is it even in the ordering phase yet?
TORQUE MONSTER!!!!!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I can very much see jeeps logic not offering a diesel 2 door. They’re probably very reluctant to even offer a diesel four-door but the market appears to be forcing them and they’ll spread the development costs over into the Gladiator which is probably the only reason we’re getting it at all in the wrangler.
The big advantage to a diesel is towing , the 2 door doesn’t tow anything.
That’s the common sense reason. Same reason you can’t get the power stroke diesel in a mustang or the Duramax in the Camaro.
Putting a diesel in a vehicle that doesn’t tow anything is not a winning strategy.
Same identical commonsense logic goes for the manual transmission. The manual transmission has much less towing capacity than the automatic transmission in the regular gas wrangler. So they’re not going to offer a diesel with the emphasis on towing capacity and offer it with the week transmission that will not work.
So common sense tells me that the diesel has to come with the automatic to get the towing ratings that there after.
Why don't 2 doors tow? Last I looked they had a hitch.....

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Are they not coming in M/T?
Really tough to get the emissions to behave with a M/T; the current diesel powertrains do some clever stuff like pre-inject ad-blue before shifts and stuff to really cut down on emissions. With a human behind the clutch it becomes more tricky!

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon

Sponsored

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
Worldwide...yes. Nationwide I’d be surprised if it were only 1%. Single digits definitely. Narrow it down to state-level markets and you’re well into the double digit percentages in some. Come visit AK if you want to see what I’m getting at.
1% is probably an exaggeration. Im in Colorado so we have our fair share of modified Jeeps but in comparison to total Wrangler sales, we are most certainly an overwhelming minority.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
LOL! Can't believe I misunderstood the question?! LOL! Well at least I made you guys laugh. :)
I don't claim to know too much about Diesel (I know a Jeep owner who does not know it all!!!), but this discussion is getting very entertaining!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
More Bizaro world news !
Diesel tows less than gas in Jeep Gladiator. Excellent , more bizaro proof the diesel is way better than the 3.6. The diesel is more expensive, more maintenance and less performance. The perfect bizaro combination.
https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453
Not a huge surprise. The 3.0 in the Ram 1500 had a lower rating than the 5.7 but it was engine cooling that was the factor in that application. In the case of The gladiator, the weight of the engine itself might be the factor here. Diesels are Heavy and having a heavy engine might lower what is left over in the GVWR, regardless of the torque output.

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
I don't claim to know too much about Diesel (I know a Jeep owner who does not know it all!!!), but this discussion is getting very entertaining!
Not sure what you’re implying here but my mistake for M/T manual for M/T mud terrain tires is actually an honest mistake. Could’ve gone both ways. Honestly thought the dude was talking about tire selection on the new diesel because the tires in the pictures were all terrain tires. I had tires on my mind obviously.

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what you’re implying here but my mistake for M/T manual for M/T mud terrain tires is actually an honest mistake. Could’ve gone both ways. Honestly thought the dude was talking about tire selection on the new diesel because the tires in the pictures were all terrain tires. I had tires on my mind obviously.
Sorry I didn't mean to Imply anything, I totally get the miscue, I probably would have done it also! I was just making light of the moment.

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Sorry I didn't mean to Imply anything, I totally get the miscue, I probably would have done it also! I was just making light of the moment.
Ok no worries my friend! :)

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Do these things have to Regen like the eldorado nationals I drive at work lol PITA.

Does anyone know the answer to this question about the regen?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know the answer to this question about the regen?
Uses Diesel Exhaust Fluid instead of a Particulate Filter I believe. As far as I know they don't come together.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler