3.0L EcoDiesel Jeep JL Wrangler Spied!

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
I was actually impressed with the 3.0l diesel on the jls.... Ive driven multiple rubicon 3.0ls and am surprised with how zippy it is.... Im curious to see the price tag has it been released yet? Or is it even in the ordering phase yet?
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
If this would've been available in a 2 door and a manual I would've waited for sure. I love diesels. Had a 2014 TDI Jetta and a 2015 TDI Golf. Those diesels were sweet! But I wanted a 2 door and a manual so I went with the 3.6 Liter Gasoline engine a few months ago instead.
Same. So glad I listened to my gut which was telling me the diesel won’t be available with a manual. Didn’t see the 4-door-only thing coming though.

I’m out.
Yup, same.

I was actually impressed with the 3.0l diesel on the jls.... Ive driven multiple rubicon 3.0ls and am surprised with how zippy it is.... Im curious to see the price tag has it been released yet? Or is it even in the ordering phase yet?
Could you please elaborate on what the hell you’re talking about?

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
Could you please elaborate on what the hell you’re talking about?
Yeah.... Ive been driving them for months lol... That isnt the 1st 3.0l made.... We have been making them for probably about 6 months now in very small batches...

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Yeah.... Ive been driving them for months lol... That isnt the 1st 3.0l made.... We have been making them for probably about 6 months now in very small batches...
You work for fca?! If so Do you know anything about the crappy lean tune they put out for our 3.6 manuals? Mine bucks at 42 mph exactly. Drove a sport and it did it at 45 mph. Almost like the fuel cuts off and then turns back on for a second. Nothing to do with the diesel topic but it sounds like you work for fca since you’ve driven the new diesels. Let me know your thoughts! Thx!

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Worldwide...yes. Nationwide I’d be surprised if it were only 1%. Single digits definitely. Narrow it down to state-level markets and you’re well into the double digit percentages in some. Come visit AK if you want to see what I’m getting at.

You saying we have lots of Malls up here? :CWL:

Last edited:

Sponsored

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
You work for fca?! If so Do you know anything about the crappy lean tune they put out for our 3.6 manuals? Mine bucks at 42 mph exactly. Drove a sport and it did it at 45 mph. Almost like the fuel cuts off and then turns back on for a second. Nothing to do with the diesel topic but it sounds like you work for fca since you’ve driven the new diesels. Let me know your thoughts! Thx!
No i know nothing about the tunes.... Was it an 18? I know there has been a few pcm flashes

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I can very much see jeeps logic not offering a diesel 2 door. They’re probably very reluctant to even offer a diesel four-door but the market appears to be forcing them and they’ll spread the development costs over into the Gladiator which is probably the only reason we’re getting it at all in the wrangler.
The big advantage to a diesel is towing , the 2 door doesn’t tow anything.
That’s the common sense reason. Same reason you can’t get the power stroke diesel in a mustang or the Duramax in the Camaro.
Putting a diesel in a vehicle that doesn’t tow anything is not a winning strategy.
Same identical commonsense logic goes for the manual transmission. The manual transmission has much less towing capacity than the automatic transmission in the regular gas wrangler. So they’re not going to offer a diesel with the emphasis on towing capacity and offer it with the week transmission that will not work.
So common sense tells me that the diesel has to come with the automatic to get the towing ratings that there after.

Last edited:

Gemball2018

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I can very much see jeeps logic not offering a diesel 2 door. They’re probably very reluctant to even offer a diesel four-door but the market appears to be forcing them and they’ll spread the development costs over into the Gladiator which is probably the only reason we’re getting it at all in the wrangler.
That’s the common sense reason. Same reason you can’t get the power stroke diesel in a mustang or the Duramax in the Camaro.
Putting a diesel in a vehicle that doesn’t tow anything is not a winning strategy.
Same identical commonsense logic goes for the manual transmission. The manual transmission has much less towing capacity than the automatic transmission in the regular gas wrangler. So they’re not going to offer a diesel with the emphasis on towing capacity and offer it with the week transmission that will not work.
So common sense tells me that the diesel has to come with the automatic to get the towing ratings that there after.
Mine tows stuff and I would like the diesel.

DCC79FC9-B4D8-445A-BD0E-8147149F2739.jpeg

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Pretty sure the diesel jlu is going to have the same towing capacity as the other motors. The power/torque is not the limiting factor in the tow rating.

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
Do these things have to Regen like the eldorado nationals I drive at work lol PITA.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Thanks for straightening me out guys, I slipped and started using common sense and thinking back to the old days , completely forgot we live in the Bizaro world now. Let me correct.
Yes a two door Jeep diesel wrangler with manual transmission would be awesome for towing. I really wish they would build it. A super short wheelbase nice and light with a 2000 pound tow rating. I definitely need a diesel. In the Bizaro world I could use my Jeep to tow my motorhome or crew cab truck and I can camp in my jeep and do the Rubicon Trail in my motorhome.

Mopar is making a fifth wheel hitch plate for the two door wranglers you remove the hardtop and the rear seat and it bolts in without any modifications. It’s rated to tow 2000 pounds.
Note the wrangler 5th wheel tow package is only available with the manual transmissions for now.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
You saying we have lots of Malls up here? :CWL:
Quite the opposite. Every one of the wranglers I’ve seen here on 35”+ tires (which is a higher rate than most states) appear to be taking full advantage of the world-class wheeling. It doesn’t hurt that the few malls are a short drive from the trails lol.

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Quite the opposite. Every one of the wranglers I’ve seen here on 35”+ tires (which is a higher rate than most states) appear to be taking full advantage of the world-class wheeling. It doesn’t hurt that the few malls are a short drive from the trails lol.

You pulling the trigger on a Diesel when the order banks open? Also, Lithia South Anchorage has a JLUR in Bikini if you want to see that color in person.
Sponsored