Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Ok, but does it act like one?
No, it doesn't get me the tax penalty when I register it in commiefornia, or the ridiculously overpriced diesel fuel sold here, or the DEF fluid costs. So I guess i'm missing out.

TBH i'd love a real diesel. just not living in this hellhole. I'll live with my diesel sounding 3.6 Pentastar for now.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
No, it doesn't get me the tax penalty when I register it in commiefornia, or the ridiculously overpriced diesel fuel sold here, or the DEF fluid costs. So I guess i'm missing out.

TBH i'd love a real diesel. just not living in this hellhole. I'll live with my diesel sounding 3.6 Pentastar for now.
Doesn't make sense for me either.. I really want a reason to get some of the 2019 options and this would be a cool thing when it finally comes out but just can't stomach the loss and increased expense. Guess I'll have to live with my 3.6 as well :) .. Wish all the best that are waiting.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Could you at least use a Chuck Norris clip where he doesn't look like a pissed-off William H. Macy? "Whaddaya mean my daughter didn't get into USC? Hi-Ya!!!"
Now that’s funny. :LOL:

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
It never ceases to amaze me how many people on an enthusiast forum like this have such ignorant predictive powers regarding future powerplants which have legitimate applications within the range of uses in wranglers. Why on earth would anyone pay extra for a wrangler with 442 ft-lbs of torque at 2000rpm (500+ with a chip tune)? Why would anyone pay extra for a 20-30% boost in range with the least mpg reduction from towing, 37s and gear weight? Surely their experience with other diesels will predict the reliability of this 3.0 which has never seen the light of day yet.

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
Might get one if it's faster and more fuel efficient. The v6 is great but love diesels in trucks and suvs.
Cracks me up when people say more fuel efficient

Isnt diesel gas much more expensive than regular gas?

So.....what's the savings and or gains??

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Cracks me up when people say more fuel efficient

Isnt diesel gas much more expensive than regular gas?

So.....what's the savings and or gains??
It is more fuel-efficient i.e. more miles per gallon which means greater range. That is important to people that drive long distance or don't want to carry extra fuel/Jerry cans.
As far as cost diesel does usually cost more so there may be little to no savings but it varies. As an example I have a Jeep liberty diesel,when I compare its cost per mpg to a jeep liberty with a gas engine avg mpg, diesel would have to be a $1 more per gallon before the gas liberty would be on even footing.

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
It is more fuel-efficient i.e. more miles per gallon which means greater range. That is important to people that drive long distance or don't want to carry extra fuel/Jerry cans.
As far as cost diesel does usually cost more so there may be little to no savings but it varies. As an example I have a Jeep liberty diesel,when I compare its cost per mpg to a jeep liberty with a gas engine avg mpg, diesel would have to be a $1 more per gallon before the gas liberty would be on even footing.
Yes but it's more expensive and being more fuel efficient means what exactly?

Your just going to burn fuel for longer at a higher cost

Sponsored

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU

Fuel efficiency does not equal cost to operate which is what you are referencing. So I will do a comparison on my two vehicles fuel-efficiency vs cost:
JKUR with 21 gallon tank (325 miles) + 11 gallon aux tank (~180 miles)= 530 miles and costs $2.50 a gallon for a grand total of $80.
Jeep liberty diesel with 20 gallon tank = 530 miles costs $3 a gallon for a grand total of $60.
Now you can certainly argue that the higher initial cost will offset any savings in fuel costs but you aren't arguing that, you are arguing fuel-efficiency which the diesel is more fuel-efficient because it will burn less fuel over a given distance also referenced as mpg.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
If only they made it in manual....
No worries about engine issues. If so I’d have my brother just rebuild it and then I’d be able to outrace mustangs and the like. :rock:

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase

Comparing some recent prices in MI, gasoline was $2.53 while diesel was $2.93. If the diesel vehicle can drive 2.93 miles for every 2.53 miles the gasoline vehicle drives, their cost per mile is equal. Scaling that up to reasonable JL numbers ... if a gasoline JL gets 17.7 mpg, the diesel would have to get 20.5 mpg to achieve equal costs. Will it? Will diesel prices rise or dip relative to gasoline? I dunno.

I'm not planning on getting a diesel, so I'll leave the long term price comparison and predicted 3.0 diesel fuel efficiency research to the rest of you. Plus, this is just the efficiency part of the cost of ownership discussion which doesn't even address other costs & benefits.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone debating fuel efficiency for the diesel...if you watch the JL reveal video...FCA claimed 30+ MPG...that would definitely offset any additional fuel cost. Especially once you’ve added bigger tires and more weight...that torque number is gonna be your friend then. Of course...this is all assuming that it truly does reach their claimed MPG...that has yet to be seen...
Sponsored