Sponsored

3.0L diesel for short trips around town mostly?

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
11,000 lbs ? ED Ram is not rated to pull that much. My loaded crew cab with 6.4 bed laramie 4x4 with 3.55 gears is rated to tow 7,500 if I had 3.92 gears it would be 8,500 lbs.

In order to pull 11k lbs you'd need a stipped down single cab 2x4 truck.

I highly doubt a Wrangler with standard 4x4 and its chassis will be able to pull more then 5,000 lbs, my guess is 4-5k.
I'm not sure why ppl want to think just because the JL/U will have the engine capable of pulling, that it will be able to legally pull weight.

I have no doubt the engine is capable...but the Wrangler would be thrown all over the place and would take forever to stop...never mind an emergency stop.

It's the platform...not the engine. No matter the engine, I can't ever see a Wrangler being rated over 5k for towing.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
It's the platform...not the engine. No matter the engine, I can't ever see a Wrangler being rated over 5k for towing.
Yeah, the JT Scrambler can do 6,500lbs , but only with a totally different RAM-like rear-end, and likely a few more tweaks.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
11,000 lbs ? ED Ram is not rated to pull that much. My loaded crew cab with 6.4 bed laramie 4x4 with 3.55 gears is rated to tow 7,500 if I had 3.92 gears it would be 8,500 lbs.

In order to pull 11k lbs you'd need a stripped down single cab 2x4 truck.

I highly doubt a Wrangler with standard 4x4 and its chassis will be able to pull more then 5,000 lbs, my guess is 4-5k.
I'm pretty sure he was referencing his diesel powered 11,000 lbs motor home as a fuel milage/operational cost comparison. He never mentioned towing...

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
EcoDiesel owner here (Ram 1500). I can tell you that just owning an EcoDiesel for short trips is definitely a pain with the regen system. I drive abotu 6 miles to work, four of those miles on a 75MPH stretch of highway (Thank God for Texas :) ), but even that isn't enough in regen mode. The sad part is that if you never complete the regen cycle and keep pushing it past the 100% level, it kinda chokes up on you and requires a service call (learned that lesson the hard way).

Don't take ANY of this as a negative about the EcoDiesel -- FCA (and all the other manufacturers) are a victim of overaggressive environmentalists that shoved a bad idea down their throats. I absolutely LOVE my EcoDiesel engine and I am counting the days until I can spend WAY too much money to buy an EcoDiesel Rubi (my beloved truck is currently for sale so that I can help finance the Rubi :) ).

Don't forget that you can theoretically delete the whole DEF mess, although you'll void your warranty and likely make the vehicle un-registerable in certain states (although not Texas....have I mentioned I love my state? :) ).

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
on another brand's diesels, the particulate filter will clog and fail prematurely if it is only driven on short trips.

$3000 part I think.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Don't take ANY of this as a negative about the EcoDiesel -- FCA (and all the other manufacturers) are a victim of overaggressive environmentalists that shoved a bad idea down their throats. :) ).
Those damn environmentalist forced us to get rid of our beloved leaded fuel too.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
If I’m starting to grasp these emission solutions like DPF, it seems that even if you only do short trips a quick 20 minute scenic ride on the highway every 300 miles gets the regen process flowing and at some point the DPF can be cleaned. All about maintenance and following some prescribed excuse to get on the open road and take top down. :)

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
If I’m starting to grasp these emission solutions like DPF, it seems that even if you only do short trips a quick 20 minute scenic ride on the highway every 300 miles gets the regen process flowing and at some point the DPF can be cleaned. All about maintenance and following some prescribed excuse to get on the open road and take top down. :)
Yup...big thing is to take a longish drive about once a month.

Or...you know...delete everything out.

Hopefully they use a cleanable DPF...replacement is ridiculously expensive.

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
on another brand's diesels, the particulate filter will clog and fail prematurely if it is only driven on short trips.

$3000 part I think.
I haven't seen that problem. You do need to drive long enough for the DPF to regen, but that doesn't require a road trip to accomplish

thehaf

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited; 1995 Mitsubishi J-55 import
Occupation
Network Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, lol. Probably more like 25-26. I believe on a flat road in Missouri going 55 you could probably get 35 mpg in a Grand Cherokee diesel, but there's no way you're getting that in a Wrangler. Sure, maybe 28-29 on a flat road, as described, but realistic for people will probably be 25-26. This is based on my experience with the Ram Ecodiesel, which is more aerodynamic than a Wrangler. Not really a fair comparison for a Grand Cherokee vs a Wrangler.

For me, the diesel is not worth it. I don't tow. If you tow, it's probably worth it. But not worth it for mpg...
I'm getting 17 MPG driving like a grandma in my 18 JL, 100 miles a day average speed around 40-45, half mileage on the interstate, very few lights all around. 25-26 would be amazing to see.

Sponsored

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
I asked a similar question in another thread and never got an answer. I'm looking forward to some real world data on this.

Here is my experience from my Ram 1500 Ecodiesel laramie crew cab 5.7 4x4.

First and foremost, I would not recommend getting an ecodiesel if you are not going to run it long enough to get everything up to full operating temp at minimum once per week. Especially in the winter. This part is key and Ill explain later.

Next, my driving was mostly highway from home to work when I lived in Florida. 24 miles one way. I was also an extremely tame driver with that engine. I know auto transmissions have come a long way, but I always baby them for fear they will fail on me. My average as reported by the dash was usually 26-27 mpg. When I would take the truck on long trips north to go hunting on the family farm, it was normal for my dash to report 31-33mpg driving no more than 70mph from Florida to Missouri. When I moved to Colorado, even with high elevation and the FULL 6x12 trailer, bed and cab, my dash still reported 21mpg average. When I traded it for my jk its reported average was 25.

Guess why I traded it....my new commute to work is less than 2 miles. Not nearly enough time for everything to heat up. That and these ridiculously oversize behemoth trucks now a days wouldn't fit on the trails I needed to go back through to get to my hunting grounds.

Okay on to the tech portion.

For DEF, my tank usually lasted 8-9k miles before it needed refilling. Had 36k miles on it when I traded it and refilled the tank twice with two partial refills randomly when DEF was on sale.

On to the regen portion. First, to start a regen, all systems have to be up to full operating temp before it will even try. You wont make that happen with those short trips. Second, the truck would only regen when back pressure was high enough to tell the computer it needed to do one. Without flashing the computer IT WILL NOT TELL YOU WHEN IT IS DOING A NORMAL ONE. So you need to keep an eye on the live mpg indicator. If you are cruising along and the live mpg is way lower than normal its dumping diesel on the DPF to burn it out/regen it. Mine would go from bouncing between 25 and 30 to 15 to 18. Pretty obvious it was doing so.

Next just interrupting it once or twice is fine, you will be able to tell you interrupted it because the exhaust till be ticking like crazy cooling down from its ungodly hot regen process when you shut the truck off and hop out. If you do this too many times however, the evic will warn you to keep driving because it needs to regen. If you interrupt this too many times the computer will lock you out after 500 miles and force you to go to a dealer for a manual DPF clean or replacement. If you run out the 500 mile clock, you can manually short two pins in the fuse box to start the truck but you will have to do this every time until dealer clears it. DEF supposedly resets on its own once full if you ran the 500 mile bit out.

Others are correct the DPF replacement hovers around $3k depending on dealer. However if you are willing to argue with the dealer and depending on the mileage/age of the truck, they are obligated to replace it under an EPA rule regarding life of exhaust/emissions systems as the DPF directly impacts emissions. I don't have the rule handy, some searching can get you the details you need on this if you want it. Several people with this issue were successful getting the bill waived using this method

Now the reason I really don't suggest this style of driving in winter is that a cold diesel engine coughs out more soot. The ecodiesel at default tune is a pretty sooty engine according to green diesel engineering. So in winter it puts an extreme load on the DPF. If you are only driving 1 or 2 miles in winter per start, that dpf is gonna get choked fast and if you dont have the opportunity to run it long enough to let it do a good solid regen you are gonna end up back at the dealer fairly often with clogged dpfs. Especially if you have a lead foot.

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
Bruno, thanks for raising these points. As a former Ecodiesel truck owner, I can tell you that, yes, you MUST run the engine occasionally long enough to blow out the particulates. It's annoying as heck for me, who has a whopping commute of 6 miles each way. On the other hand, I always found opportunities to drive it the distance it needed. I did have one situation where the truck made me take it back to the dealer for a reset, which was frustrating, but it was early in my ownership.

Having said all this, I am seriously hoping that Jeep has figured a way to help drivers work around this, given that over 5 years has passed since the ED was first introduced. I think it's particularly important because a "trail Jeep" can end up with a LOT of problems if it rarely sees highway speeds. I'm certain Jeep knows of this scenario and will address it. I, and others, will definitely be talking to Jeep about this in detail as the ED models roll off the line.

Still, it's a great engine, and I would get ED in a new Wrangler in a heartbeat if they resolve this issue. The DEF is a minor annoyance.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Bruno, thanks for raising these points. As a former Ecodiesel truck owner, I can tell you that, yes, you MUST run the engine occasionally long enough to blow out the particulates. It's annoying as heck for me, who has a whopping commute of 6 miles each way. On the other hand, I always found opportunities to drive it the distance it needed. I did have one situation where the truck made me take it back to the dealer for a reset, which was frustrating, but it was early in my ownership.

Having said all this, I am seriously hoping that Jeep has figured a way to help drivers work around this, given that over 5 years has passed since the ED was first introduced. I think it's particularly important because a "trail Jeep" can end up with a LOT of problems if it rarely sees highway speeds. I'm certain Jeep knows of this scenario and will address it. I, and others, will definitely be talking to Jeep about this in detail as the ED models roll off the line.

Still, it's a great engine, and I would get ED in a new Wrangler in a heartbeat if they resolve this issue. The DEF is a minor annoyance.
I wouldn't count on it, the description that @bruno747 listed is a pretty typical account for all diesel trucks these days.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
In simple terms. Hit the highway every 300 miles for an hour run? Guessing you go 30 minutes in any direction and close it off returning home. I’m good with that. Plus my fishing trips take care of that. Now I have an excuse to go fishing more. :)

Already working the spin for the wife. “Honey... Got good and bad news...”

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
In simple terms. Hit the highway every 300 miles for an hour run? Guessing you go 30 minutes in any direction and close it off returning home.
As for every 300 miles, more like 1000-1500 miles has been my experience. When the regen notice pops up on my 2018 GC Ecodiesel it usually recommends 20-minute driving at highway speeds. There have been a couple times when I was unable to do so right away, but the Jeep started and drove normally the next time; just had to make sure to include some highway miles on the errands that next day. Little more than 15k so far with minimal issue. Refilled DEF at the local Flying-J last week at $2.77/gal (required a little under 7.5 gal after just under 10k since previous fill).
Sponsored