Sponsored

3.0L diesel for short trips around town mostly?

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
JKs require that. Every 3K .... I was shocked as I went from my E90 M3 which had a oil changes every 15K miles back to the old skool every 3K
You sure about that? Everything I read says that the self monitoring system will tell you when its time and that you should never exceed 10,000 miles. this is from the 2017 owners manual:

Engine Oil Change Engine Oil ā€” Gasoline Engine Refer to ā€œScheduled Servicingā€ in this section for the proper maintenance intervals. NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), 12 months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet customers.

Heavy Duty Use Of The Vehicle Change engine oil at 4,000 miles (6,500 km) if the vehicle is operated in a dusty and off road environment or is operated predominately at idle or only very low engine RPMā€™s. This type of vehicle use is considered Severe Duty

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I think the owners manual or user guide had 4500k as recommended changes for the JL for grocery getting, but back down to 3k for off road use and hard highway miles.
The manual say 4K miles for severe use for ALL models. and the indicator light might come on at 3,500 miles for heavy use, but for grocery getting the interval is 5,000miles/8,000KMs for conventional oil.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Times they are a-changin'...

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
I agree with the towing part, although all the engine choices end up with the same tow rating, the diesel will no doubt tow it more comfortably than the others. I still think most people will sh!t a brick when they see the first oil change cost. The longevity of a diesel engine is overblown these days. Gassers get to 300k pretty easily these days with proper maintenance. No way your diesels turbo or dpf/scr will last anywhere near that.

With that being said, I may still end up with one.
Yeah...got a call from the wife when she first got hers done in her 335D. Like $100 even. Told her yeah...that's actually a good deal. I mean...you're getting 8qts of oil (synth), filter, plus a little labor in there. Kits for her car aren't much cheaper (like $90 or so).

Hope folks realize that oil changes and fuel filters (about yearly) are going to be about a $3-500 maintenance item each year depending on how much they drive.

Still leaning diesel myself...the better gas mileage will encourage it for some longer trips. Right now we use the wife's...and that limits cargo space sometimes (although, with everything deleted in hers now, she gets like 45 on the hwy...so there's that trade off...).

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Whatā€™s every 3K/3mths? Certainly not the Pentastar, even in the current JK.

Life will be similar to the diesel, especially if you also use synthetic, which is still cheaper since itā€™s about 50% the volume for the Pentastar 5Qts vs the ED 10.5Qts.

Plus add DEF cost, fuel filter costs, etc..
What Ape said and I don't change oil until the ECU tells me too. If I remember right it wasnt until about 5-6K miles before first oil change. Has about 11K now and hasn't asked for oil yet.

Sponsored

Dr Colg8

First Name
Dr Colg8
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 call of duty MW3 JKU Rubicon , 2013 Harley CVO Breakout
That's nuts.

Haven't modded my Rubi...sees about 16mpg around town...about 18 on the hwy.

Even with an imp gallon, can't imagine those figures would be reachable.
That's about what I had on my '12 3.6l before the magnussen charger. Now its more like 14.5/16.5. I want power I can feel and guts. Haven't been that impressed with my 3.8l stick < 36.l auto < 3.6+SC. I dream of (when no ones looking) having the umph my wife's explorer ecoboost provides, but in a convertible all sport utility (I.e. a jeep). Its a shame my wife has a zippier motor and I can't even buy an upgraded without dropping $20k on a refit hemi. I want a diesel in a bad way tho.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
You sure about that? Everything I read says that the self monitoring system will tell you when its time and that you should never exceed 10,000 miles. this is from the 2017 owners manual:

Engine Oil Change Engine Oil ā€” Gasoline Engine Refer to ā€œScheduled Servicingā€ in this section for the proper maintenance intervals. NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), 12 months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet customers.

Heavy Duty Use Of The Vehicle Change engine oil at 4,000 miles (6,500 km) if the vehicle is operated in a dusty and off road environment or is operated predominately at idle or only very low engine RPMā€™s. This type of vehicle use is considered Severe Duty
Your correct. My dealers both in Vegas and here in Boise have recommended the changes at 4k miles due to mods, and the fact I do take my JKU off road. I thought it was 3K but I went back and looked at my oil change receipts and its 4K.

Also the standard oil is not synthetic, so I would never feel comfortable going 10K miles on it. If this was a lease that you planned to dump off after warranty ran out then go for it, but if its something you plan on owning for a while I would never do that.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
What Ape said and I don't change oil until the ECU tells me too. If I remember right it wasnt until about 5-6K miles before first oil change. Has about 11K now and hasn't asked for oil yet.
I would never go that long on non synthetic.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
I would never go that long on non synthetic.
Completely your call. I do what is recommended by Jeep for both oil type and change intervals.

Also currently leasing since I plan on buying a 2019 JLU so not too worried about it at the moment but still follow Jeep's recommendations.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I would definitely never go that long on the original oil.
I think you both are misreading his oil change schedule, which is right in on the mfr recommendation now of under 8,000miles and expectation that the EVIC will advise ~5,000+ miles.

There are no special exceptions for the EcoDiesel, it has the same recommendations for the GC EcoDiesel as for the Pentastar, despite being completely different manuals, and despite the ED requiring synthetic wheres the Pentastar does not.

So whatever your reasoning behind your claim of one being superior, isnā€™t supported by the Ownerā€™s manuals and maintenance schedules for either engine in Jeep applications.

I do my first oil & filter change at 500miles/800km to flush out the production crud, and then one full cycle conventional, and then on to full synthetic, but thatā€™s for the two extremes, very cold temps in winter and high reving hill work in the summer/fall changing it religiously based on usage. But even then itā€™s likely cheaper than all the extra oil & filters for the ED.

mopac001

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Sahara Snazzberry
Has anybody been concerned about the seemingly higher than normal reported catastrophic engine failures in the Ram 1500 ecodiesels? I'd really wanted to get a 1500 with the ecodiesel, but what I was reading at the ram1500diesel forum pushed me to the Hemi 5.7 engine instead. I'm still a few years from a new JL, and if the diesel appears to have it's issues ironed out, I'd definitely be willing to consider it again.

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks for this thread- my daily commute to work is about 12 miles each way ( so 24/25 a day) most of those roads are 35 mph - 50 mph roads - I might get up to 55 mph on a very brief stretch of highway before Iā€™m back on local roads again- so I rarely ever see real highway speeds of 65 and up.

Sounds like the Diesel would be a waste in my situation.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
This is a little different but I am curious because Iā€™m getting JLUR delivered in a couple weeks, and will consider going to a diesel a year or 2 after production starts. I have a 25ā€™ Motorhome weighing in at 11k with the 3L Mercedes diesel and a Sprinter Chassis... in town it gets 16 and on the highway 21-23 depending on speed limit... plenty of power/torque. I bought it in Dallas TX and drove it home to Oregon and was impressed. I have no experience with Jeeps diesel but I could see it doing well. Time will tell. Now, with that said maintenance will be expensive if itā€™s anything like the Mercedes... if I was to take it in for an oil change it would be $280...I simply do it myself.. it takes 13qts of oil plus a spendy filter...

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
This is a little different but I am curious because Iā€™m getting JLUR delivered in a couple weeks, and will consider going to a diesel a year or 2 after production starts. I have a 25ā€™ Motorhome weighing in at 11k with the 3L Mercedes diesel and a Sprinter Chassis... in town it gets 16 and on the highway 21-23 depending on speed limit... plenty of power/torque. I bought it in Dallas TX and drove it home to Oregon and was impressed. I have no experience with Jeeps diesel but I could see it doing well. Time will tell. Now, with that said maintenance will be expensive if itā€™s anything like the Mercedes... if I was to take it in for an oil change it would be $280...I simply do it myself.. it takes 13qts of oil plus a spendy filter...
11,000 lbs ? ED Ram is not rated to pull that much. My loaded crew cab with 6.4 bed laramie 4x4 with 3.55 gears is rated to tow 7,500 if I had 3.92 gears it would be 8,500 lbs.

In order to pull 11k lbs you'd need a stripped down single cab 2x4 truck.

I highly doubt a Wrangler with standard 4x4 and its chassis will be able to pull more then 5,000 lbs, my guess is 4-5k.
Sponsored

Last edited: