Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
According to the spreadsheets posted in the gallery of that article, the Wrangler is definitely getting the 'High Output' GMET6 (and possibly a standard version to replace the Pentastar). In previous articles, one variant was rumored to produce ~400HP/TQ with the other pushing ~500HP/TQ with the aid of an electric/hybrid solution. Hopefully both variants can keep pricing down (if not the same), with a fair bump in power from the Pentastar and a modest increase from the 392.
Sponsored

coupedncal

First Name
CoupednCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at Jeeps
According to the spreadsheets posted in the gallery of that article, the Wrangler is definitely getting the 'High Output' GMET6 (and possibly a standard version to replace the Pentastar). In previous articles, one variant was rumored to produce ~400HP/TQ with the other pushing ~500HP/TQ with the aid of an electric/hybrid solution. Hopefully both variants can keep pricing down (if not the same), with a fair bump in power from the Pentastar and a modest increase from the 392.
Could anyone here decipher if the HO Inline 6 engine spreadsheet contain any reference to manual transmission? It will be a sweet combination to have a 6 speed manual with the inline 6 engine.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You're acting like forced induction production cars haven't been a thing for the last 30 years. The vast majority of consumers will be spending nearly all their time in low-RPM highway driving barely touching boost, not racing the damn things. The Subura Legacy has had turbo options since the late 80s and has been long known for engines that last hundreds of thousands of miles with proper maintenance.

I'll agree that forced induction puts more strain and wear on an engine vs naturally aspirated, and I'd personally love to see more NA 8cyl engines put into production, but as the options start dwindling down to either you get an electric or a more fuel-efficient smaller engine, I'll gladly take boosted ICE over no ICE at all and be thankful to finally get an engine more powerful than the relatively under-powered Pentastar.
Find me a turbo Subaru (like as in a WRX) with 100k on it that isn't smoking and burning oil, that hasn't replaced the turbo.

Not one reader of this thread is thinking about cruising around barely touching boost on this engine.

And 400hp from a 183ci engine is pushing it pretty hard. There's no free lunches.

Last edited:

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Find me a turbo Subaru (like as in a WRX) with 100k on it that isn't smoking and burning oil, that hasn't replaced the turbo.
I've owned my Evo 10 (STi equivilant >WRX) for over a decade and at 93k, it doesn't burn a drop of oil (or smoke) and haven't had a need to replace the turbo yet, and as I mentioned, at $1,000 for a relatively easy DIY replacement, it's minor compared to other maintenance expenses.

You've apparently never owned a forced induction vehicle to think average, spirited drivers are constantly in full-on time attack mode 24/7. Lol, geez.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've owned my Evo 10 (STi equivilant >WRX) for over a decade and at 93k, it doesn't burn a drop of oil (or smoke) and haven't had a need to replace the turbo yet, and as I mentioned, at $1,000 for a relatively easy DIY replacement, it's minor compared to other maintenance expenses.

You've apparently never owned a forced induction vehicle to think average, spirited drivers are constantly in full-on time attack mode 24/7. Lol, are you a train engineer?
No need to start a personal attack over opinions.

Sponsored

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Why do people believe that turbos are unreliable? I smashed on a tuned 2.0 ecoboost for 5 years and never had any engine problems. I never saw any complaints about turbo failures on the forums.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

Not one reader of this thread is thinking about cruising around barely touching boost on this engine.

And 400hp from a 183ci engine is pushing it pretty hard. There's no free lunches.
There are literally tons of ecoboost motors from Ford with 100K plus on them with stock turbos and no issues.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Why do people believe that turbos are unreliable? I smashed on a tuned 2.0 ecoboost for 5 years and never had any engine problems. I never saw any complaints about turbo failures on the forums.
Agreed, I don't get it either. I've had EcoBoost trucks and turbo-diesels, never had a single issue with a turbo on either truck and both had been tuned for far more boost than factory.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You had good luck and that's great. But there are complaints and even a lawsuit on the eco boost inline 4. If everyone had problems, they couldn't sell any.

If you're referring to me, I didn't say anything about being unreliable. Just that a turbo life is not going to be 300,000 miles, more like 100,000 miles, sometimes more, sometimes less. The failure of a turbo is typically a soft failure and gives you plenty of warning before it gets really ugly. The engine will begin to smoke lightly, then progressively more. My first hand experience is that when the turbo bearing wears and the shaft loosens, it begins to wear the seals and if it wears the compressor side seal and leaks into the intake tract, the oil will lower the effective octane (knock rating) of the intake charge and lead to detonation, particularly when under boost. If the driver continues and the detonation becomes bad enough, it will do things like shatter the compression rings or hammer the upper piston ring land down and lock the compression ring, or burn or blow a hole in a piston. I know this because I've done it and pulled the engine apart. That's why I believe it.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Good info, thanks! But, I was more interested in the 'why', as in why did they need to move production to Mexico, regardless? Compass, Cherokee, Renegade, sure, if it somehow keeps their costs down, why not? Imo, a $50k+ Rubicon or Grand Cherokee 'made in Ohio' should be using a US-built engine.
They didn’t exactly move production to Mexico. They still continued to build Gen 1 in the US while simply adding Gen 2 production in Mexico.

Hemi has been built in Mexico for 20 years. Ram 1500, Grand Cherokee, Durango have all been made in Michigan during that time. So “needs to have a US-built engine logic” left decades ago.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
I’m not getting the shortened turbo life argument either. They can be quite durable If maintained properly.
Hell, I used to own a Chrysler with the 80’s vintage 2.2l turbo engine and I ran that car to 194k miles with zero problems before the turbo bearing seized. iCould have elected to throw on another turbo at that point Because otherwise the engine still ran like a champ.

key point (to me) is maintenance and proper engineering. I will agree though in that 400 hp out of a 3L seems like a lot……..but many manufacturers are getting it done these days and seem to be holding up. Hell, the engine in my Supra is boosted and guys are tuning them to 600 hp and they’re quite robust.

Reactions: AFD

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You had good luck and that's great. But there are complaints and even a lawsuit on the eco boost inline 4. If everyone had problems, they couldn't sell any.

If you're referring to me, I didn't say anything about being unreliable. Just that a turbo life is not going to be 300,000 miles, more like 100,000 miles, sometimes more, sometimes less. The failure of a turbo is typically a soft failure and gives you plenty of warning before it gets really ugly. The engine will begin to smoke lightly, then progressively more. My first hand experience is that when the turbo bearing wears and the shaft loosens, it begins to wear the seals and if it wears the compressor side seal and leaks into the intake tract, the oil will lower the effective octane (knock rating) of the intake charge and lead to detonation, particularly when under boost. If the driver continues and the detonation becomes bad enough, it will do things like shatter the compression rings or hammer the upper piston ring land down and lock the compression ring, or burn or blow a hole in a piston. I know this because I've done it and pulled the engine apart. That's why I believe it.
Plenty of Pentastars have crapped out well before 300k. I'm pretty sure if you have 300,000 on this platform the water pump, alternator, oil cooler, front and rear main seals and on and on have been replaced. Turbos are mass produced just like everything else and it sounds like you were unlucky with your experience.
I 100% respect your opinion though.

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
Funny how much of the rest of the First World nations have heavily invested, and use, public transit systems for moving people around. It’s only North America that seems beholden to the automobile.

You’re being overly dramatic. If we want to keep personal transportation a thing, we must eliminate or greatly reduce our reliance on ICE.
Funny how much of the rest of the world lives in a totalitarian state too.