Sponsored

abnormal4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
True enough, but did any of those ideas have the collective will of bureaucracy, in the form of regulations, tax subsides, etc. compelling them to move forward, freely or under threat of sanction?

Flying cars and the like were just that: people's thoughts. The matter of the internal combustion engine's future, or lack thereof, is considerably more concrete. Sober. Possible.
I didn't say you would never happen, I just don't believe it'll happen that soon. As someone who thankfully doesn't live in California but reads every year about the rolling blackouts, I'm wondering how they're going to power these electric cars without electricity.
Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Was thinking an eTorque/electric-supercharged Pentastar made the most sense, but whatever it takes to get a ~400HP/TQ ICE Wrangler, especially in the 2-door that's otherwise lacking in engine options.
Dude, you know deep on your soul that any future good engines are only going to be available in the 4-door. I suffer with you, bro, wish they would serve us old Jeep guys over the soccer moms, but, you know them focus groups are filled with bored housewives.

JGlanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JLURXR, Outback
Occupation
Dog trainer
I'd say Tesla has it pretty much figured out.
I parked my gas-swilling Rubicon at Target today and when I looked around me I saw five Tesla owners sitting in their cars waiting for their batteries to charge. I almost felt sorry for them, sitting there in their little prisons while everyone else was out running errands and Christmas shopping. But then I remembered that they get Netflix and their cars play fart sounds.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Could this engine make its way into the Wrangler?

It's 2 cylinders longer than the 392. It still needs a radiator.

Sponsored

JGlanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JLURXR, Outback
Occupation
Dog trainer
Imo, most 6-cylinder engines sound kinda poopy
As a former M3 owner I can say that I truly miss the rich, creamy sounds put out by that inline six to go along with fat torque curve and instant throttle response.

Now one the worst engines I've ever heard and driven was the V6 in the 300+ZX and Infinity cars. Vibrating buzz-bombs that I couldn't wait to get the heck out of.

Its really the V6's that sound poopy. The inline 6's are half a V12, and its hard to top that sound.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
This article and drawing from the patent keeps coming up every year or so as something new and about to ship. But this dates back to around 2015 or so when we first started to hear about it.

I really do hope we get this in a Wrangler. All the great stuff from the i4 2.0L but in an i6 with 50% more displacement is a big win.

And for the old timers perhaps a i6 to remind them of the 4.0L is enough to ignore the turbo on it ;)

abnormal4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
I have wondered on occasion if a straight six couldn't be made quite a bit shorter by using oval cylinders/ pistons like Honda had in a race bike for a few years...or it could have been one year I don't know.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I have wondered on occasion if a straight six couldn't be made quite a bit shorter by using oval cylinders/ pistons like Honda had in a race bike for a few years...or it could have been one year I don't know.
Can be done but adds cost to manufacturing to not hone a round bore. Has to be done with CNC equipment which is much more expensive.

But another point --

Remember 1/2 a 392 is still 3.2L in one bank. An i6 of 3.0L will be shorter if both have a similar bore/stroke ratio to get their displacement.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
most 6-cylinder engines sound kinda poopy as far as exhaust note goes.
My old 1995 Chevy S-10 4.3L V-6 had a great sound to it. It only put out 156HP, but it was a blast to drive. I miss that truck. :crying:

Reactions: AFD

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I parked my gas-swilling Rubicon at Target today and when I looked around me I saw five Tesla owners sitting in their cars waiting for their batteries to charge. I almost felt sorry for them, sitting there in their little prisons while everyone else was out running errands and Christmas shopping. But then I remembered that they get Netflix and their cars play fart sounds.
I mean, most of them have over 300 miles of range and regain that range while it sits in your garage overnight, so anyone having range issues and stopping up their day because they need to charge at a generic charger at a Target is likely an idiot. It's easy to live with, not that I'd be caught dead behind the wheel of anything but my Jeep in the next handful of years but if you can afford a $50k vehicle that isn't a Wrangler, the Model 3 is pretty hard to beat and saves you gas money for your 4x4 rig.

You also don't need to sit inside them while they charge. Stop at a supercharger, go inside and run your errands and 20 minutes later you can suddenly drive another 200 miles for like, 5 bucks. It's a pretty solid solution, honestly.

And hell, they're designed and manufactured in the USA. I'll take that over a loaded Accord anyday.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Could this engine make its way into the Wrangler?

It's 2 cylinders longer than the 392. It still needs a radiator.
The article states it’s barely longer than the 4cyl. If they could cram the 4.0L in the TJ they could fit it in the JL.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I hope they invest in a new i6. That would tell me the gasoline engine is not dead. Add twin turbo and I could even get excited. Now dodge needs a smaller pony car to put it in. At least smaller than the challenger.