Sponsored

3.0D What’s your hand calculated DIESEL mileage?

Megatron JLU

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 T Diesel
I've run a couple tanks through the EcoDiesel and all the miles have been a mix of city and highway. If I had to guess I would say more city in each tank. I've averaged 22-23 mpg over the couple tanks of Diesel. I'm still running the partial tank of DEF from the dealer and have 2200 miles on it and have gone through a half a tank of DEF fluid.
Same here, been going through it pretty fast.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I don’t understand all this worry about emissions. I’ve been driving diesels for 17 years. First two Dodge trucks were 5.9’s. Next two were/are 6.7’s. Never a problem with any of them, and I don’t worry about doing diesel-specific things. I also had a ‘09 TDI that I put 90k trouble free miles on, with emissions intact.

The vehicle has a warranty, I’m not worried about it.

I’ve driven the 3.6, both manual and auto. I’ve driven the 2.0, with and without a-torque. The 3.0 was the best option for me. Ordered it sight-unseen, and am totally happy with it.

There’s always a reason someone can find to not buy something. If you’re that worried about emissions get a 2.0. It behaves very similar to the diesel.
A medium-duty Cummins engine built in Indiana, USA and a light-duty VM engine built in Italy are two totally different animals.

Just do some reading on the 1st and 2nd gen EcoDiesel engines and you'll see very quickly why people are worried about emissions. The emissions systems have caused everything from $3,000 exhaust replacements to $10,000 fuel system replacements to complete engine replacements to total truck buy-backs. It's been a nightmare, and it's still going on today because the most recent recall involves the EGR cooler which is causing the trucks to go up in flames and FCA says they have no parts available to perform the recalls.

The emissions related issues with this engine are so rampant that it's killed the residual values on leases of the new one. As has been noted already, they won't even lease a JL EcoDiesel right now. And the DT (new body Ram) platform which traditionally has carried residual values in the 56% range has fallen to 40%. It's terrible.

Anybody who buys a modern light-duty diesel and isn't at least concerned about the emissions system is being foolish. And by the way, the powertrain warranty does not cover emissions equipment and labor.

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
I topped off the DEF this morning. The dealer filled it up with 1 gallon, but I had my doubts as to if it was actually full. So I don't know if it was actually full or not, though the dash said 100%

Here is my calculation on DEF:
added .779 gal @ $2.799/gal = $2.18
Current ODO is 373 - was filled last @ 14 Miles = 359 miles
359 / .779 = 460 mpg of DEF (assuming it was completely full from the dealership)

since this is such a small sample size, and I only topped it off, I'm sure the results are going to vary from my first 10k miles avg.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I topped off the DEF this morning. The dealer filled it up with 1 gallon, but I had my doubts as to if it was actually full. So I don't know if it was actually full or not, though the dash said 100%

Here is my calculation on DEF:
added .779 gal @ $2.799/gal = $2.18
Current ODO is 373 - was filled last @ 14 Miles = 359 miles
359 / .779 = 460 mpg of DEF (assuming it was completely full from the dealership)

since this is such a small sample size, and I only topped it off, I'm sure the results are going to vary from my first 10k miles avg.
It was not full from the dealer. I put 2 gallons in mine with the sales guy I worked with because service had gone home when I went back for fuel/DEF. Even that didn’t fill the DEF tank. You will be getting more than 2500 miles per full DEF tank and I’ll bet my last dollar on it.

Sponsored

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Due to current events, I'm not letting my tank get below about 3/4, kinda like how we prepare for a hurricane in South East Texas. I usually like taking it down to about 1/4 but oh well... fill ups will be around 4-7 gallons each for the next few weeks.

Put just under 6 Gallons in the tank this morning on the way to work.

137 miles / 5.882 gallons = 23.3 MPG driving at about 65 with 10% city driving.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Due to current events, I'm not letting my tank get below about 3/4, kinda like how we prepare for a hurricane in South East Texas. I usually like taking it down to about 1/4 but oh well... fill ups will be around 4-7 gallons each for the next few weeks.

Put just under 6 Gallons in the tank this morning on the way to work.

137 miles / 5.882 gallons = 23.3 MPG driving at about 65 with 10% city driving.
On the bright side, you take better advantage of the ongoing drops in the price of fuel.

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
On the bright side, you take better advantage of the ongoing drops in the price of fuel.
$0.0978 of fuel per mile

$2.279 / 23.3mpg = $0.0978

I think its going to drop more in the next few months. might see less than $2 a gallon for #2 Diesel

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
I'm at 2500 miles now. I have stock steel bumpers with maximus 3 towloops and stinger bar. RSE StepSliders with armor. I am also running 35x12x17 Nitto RG no lift. The temps have been mid 30s to low 50s. Average Mpg hand calculated is 22.8. This Includes city, country 2 lane aprox 64 mph, and interstate 75mph.

Megatron JLU

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 T Diesel
After driving the jeep for a while with 37s, 3" lift, winch, spare tire and carrier. I'm getting 16.5 avg mpg. Going 40s in three weeks so we'll see how that goes.

This is with the re calibrated tazer tire size.

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
The problem with these hand calculated is that everyone drives differently. What I think might help is instant at different speeds with identical loads at different elevations. All participating can fill the tank to full and set it to cruise on a long road where elevation won’t change then take readings at different speeds. That will best approximate what a constant load will get at a set speed. Keep it to just the driver. No gear. Try it on a day with little to no wind.

Simple adjustments like how aggressively one goes from dead stop to speed or whether they break last second before stopping or coast to a red light will affect the average. There’s is no practical way for any to replicate that. You can’t even replicate city driving because we all have different speed limits, number of intersections with lights and stop signs or how many red light each will get.

The only constant is instant speed at equal elevations and even that isn’t perfect because hot air in Florida summers have different affects then cold of Colorado in winter.

Best to do this from stock to change and note the percentage drop which might help but we all drive different and why you see such large variances when these thread spend enough time getting replied.

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
This is why I use the Fuelly app, it keeps trends of past milages so I can compare them to current trends with additions of tires/lift and other things.

I see your point in everyone driving differently, in that case nothing will be exact, but it makes a great starting point. I've been getting about 23mpg stock, which seems to be close to everyone else with the exception of a few outliers. I think it also helps when considering future mods/lifts/tires; if not exact, it should be in the ballpark.

EcoDRubi

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Eco on order.
First tank after my 37s went on was 19.1 hand calc. Will keep you posted. Winch RSE steps bumper etc. I’m more than happy with that mileage.

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
diesel does not have these problems u don't even need a gas cap