Sponsored

3.0D What’s your hand calculated DIESEL mileage?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I've had two different cars have issues: a Ford & a Mercedes.
It's a real PITA when you can't even run the pump on the first notch without it clicking off. Takes FOREVER to get a fill.
And yes, the problem was verified by the dealer, as having come from overfilling. Too expensive to have it corrected on the Mercedes, and I simply got rid of the Ford.
The Ford and Benz were diesels or gas?
Sponsored

KevinD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Both were gas.
Do diesels have EVAP systems? I'm seeing conflicting information
when doing a general search.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Both were gas.
Do diesels have EVAP systems? I'm seeing conflicting information
when doing a general search.
I was under the impression that low-volatility diesel doesn’t need a vapor trap. I haven’t heard anything about the 3.0 having one.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Hand calculated mileage since new is 22.5 mpg. Best tank was 27 mpg, worst tank was 21 mpg.

Tomorrow will be 6 weeks with our JLURD. Just under 2600 miles as of this morning. I'd estimate 600-800 of those miles have been off pavement, with a mix of higher-speed gravel and slow-speed crawling/maneuvering. The remaining miles have been a mix of highway and surface streets, with our longest highway trip the 450 mile trip home after picking it up. Around 250 miles were towing up and down a canyon, half that a 3500 lb sailboat, the other half a 1500 lb sailboat.

The 37s and beadlocks have been on and off several times, with a total of maybe 500-600 mostly-paved miles.

That does not count DEF used, as I have not had to fill the tank yet, but I do count that as a fuel cost. I did so with my WK2 diesel as well, figuring it is an additional fluid consumed with driving the gas versions don't require. DEF tank is either smaller or consumption is higher than I experienced with the WK2, and it seems like I will be filling this tank more often.

Trip down to explore some of our Cold War past in Southern Utah last weekend: 495 miles total. 290 pavement; 205 gravel, dirt, rock crawling, sand washes and dunes. 21.936 gallons = 22.6 mpg. Hard top and stock 33" Rubicon KO2. Wife, dog, me, and gear probably ~500 lbs.

rocky4by

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ram cummins
Hand calculated mileage since new is 22.5 mpg. Best tank was 27 mpg, worst tank was 21 mpg.

Tomorrow will be 6 weeks with our JLURD. Just under 2600 miles as of this morning. I'd estimate 600-800 of those miles have been off pavement, with a mix of higher-speed gravel and slow-speed crawling/maneuvering. The remaining miles have been a mix of highway and surface streets, with our longest highway trip the 450 mile trip home after picking it up. Around 250 miles were towing up and down a canyon, half that a 3500 lb sailboat, the other half a 1500 lb sailboat.

The 37s and beadlocks have been on and off several times, with a total of maybe 500-600 mostly-paved miles.

That does not count DEF used, as I have not had to fill the tank yet, but I do count that as a fuel cost. I did so with my WK2 diesel as well, figuring it is an additional fluid consumed with driving the gas versions don't require. DEF tank is either smaller or consumption is higher than I experienced with the WK2, and it seems like I will be filling this tank more often.

Trip down to explore some of our Cold War past in Southern Utah last weekend: 495 miles total. 290 pavement; 205 gravel, dirt, rock crawling, sand washes and dunes. 21.936 gallons = 22.6 mpg. Hard top and stock 33" Rubicon KO2. Wife, dog, me, and gear probably ~500 lbs.
Great real use and mileage report :like: besides the mpg, would you say that your Jeep is meeting the rest of your expectations and of course the FUN factor?

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Great real use and mileage report :like: besides the mpg, would you say that your Jeep is meeting the rest of your expectations and of course the FUN factor?
Jeep has certainly met our expectations. This is my 3rd 4-door Rubicon ('09 and '14 before; this is my first automatic) so I had a pretty good idea. Each one gets better and improves in most of the right ways.

I had the '14 JKUR when I met my wife. In 2018 we were looking to replace the other vehicle with a nicer used SUV (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, RR, Porsche, etc.). Drove everything we could around $30-$35k and my wife really liked the 2016 Grand Cherokee Summit ecodiesel the best so I started searching those. Nearly did the deal on a few used models then saw ecodiesel was an option again for Mid-summer 2018 Grands. We picked up one of the first Trailhawk diesels in Utah and drove it to MN the next day. May 2019 we sold the JKUR intending to get a JLUR or JT (when it would be released). Life happened and we waited, but in the process discovered the Grand, even though it was a Trailhawk, just didn't get far enough for us. Dealer dick-around in May caused us to sell the Grand after they dropped the trade value by $9k (we sold privately that weekend) then jack sale price up by $7k. No vehicle all summer but ordered the JLURD in July and took delivery end of September.

Round-about way of saying I knew what to expect. We really liked the drivetrain in the WK2 and knew it was going to be great in the JLUR. I would say the additional weight makes itself known off-road; not really good/bad, but something to plan for.

My wife calls it my Jeep Lego because I'm always adding or removing stuff. Not many vehicles allow for that! Also great to have the variety of accessories and modifications we do! Very limited product for the Grand, especially quality stuff that is built for abuse (most of it from Australia).