Sponsored

3.0D What’s your hand calculated DIESEL mileage?

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
What is your hand calculated diesel mileage on your 3.0D?

In case you you don’t know how to hand calculate:
1) Fill up. Count to 30. Fill up again. Or do what JLURD says in post 3. Stay consistent with the way you fill up.
2) Reset odometer.
3) Drive. Do What CAC says in post 2 :)
4) Repeat step 1
5) Divide miles driven by how many gallons it takes to fill up.
6) Post up results here!
Sponsored

Last edited:

CAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D, , 2019 200 Series Land Cruiser, 2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4wd,
Yeah, and make sure you use up 2/3-7/8 of your tank. TFL's 66 mile loop is a joke. Too many variables can affect the mileage greatly with such a small sample size.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
If you talk to the hardcore hypermiling crowd, the most accurate way to calculate is based on a fill and post-driving-refill to the rim of the filler neck. If you visually confirm there is no airspace, the variable is objectively removed...everything else is just a guess.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
All you really need is several fills. You can flub the numbers on one fill, but you can't fake an average over 5-10 fills. Especially if they utilize roughly the same travel pattern. I agree that, 1 test with a top off, a run, and another top off, isn't worth a whole lot. But I'd trust the numbers averaged from 3+ such runs, to get a decent representation of mileage potential.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a ton of info out there on that. Overfilling it is not a good idea, you should stop when the pump stops.
Some manufacturers’ vehicles are sensitive to it and some are not...likely because of an effective purge system on those that are not. I can tell you from experience that the MP-552 and JLU do not seem to have this problem. I can also tell you the MP-552 will take an entire 3 gallons after the pump clicks...a fact which occasionally comes in handy in AK and the Yukon.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
If you talk to the hardcore hypermiling crowd, the most accurate way to calculate is based on a fill and post-driving-refill to the rim of the filler neck. If you visually confirm there is no airspace, the variable is objectively removed...everything else is just a guess.
It's not recommended to fill that much. You should stop at the first or second click.

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
use the Fuelly app. I've been using it for a few years and it tracks everything, as long as you don't forget to log it in. It gives Best MPG on a tank, Average MPG, and the last tank's MPG. It even gives you the price in fuel per mile. 555 gallons worth on my YJ, and 1648 gallons worth on the GMC Yukon. After That many gallons, topping off doesn't matter. My YJ spits fuel out every time before the click, wait 30 seconds and i can get another gallon in it before it spits and clicks again.

Sponsored

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
Some manufacturers’ vehicles are sensitive to it and some are not...likely because of an effective purge system on those that are not. I can tell you from experience that the MP-552 and JLU do not seem to have this problem. I can also tell you the MP-552 will take an entire 3 gallons after the pump clicks...a fact which occasionally comes in handy in AK and the Yukon.
Well keep doing it then but don’t say no one ever warned you. There are many many articles that say don’t do it, I’ve never seen one that says have at it, but have at it.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well keep doing it then but don’t say no one ever warned you. There are many many articles that say don’t do it, I’ve never seen one that says have at it, but have at it.
FWIW, many of those articles are based entirely on EPA propaganda, which is why these systems exist in the first place. When JLUs and MP-552s start requiring charcoal filter replacements, I’ll change my tune.

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
FWIW, many of those articles are based entirely on EPA propaganda, which is why these systems exist in the first place. When JLUs and MP-552s start requiring charcoal filter replacements, I’ll change my tune.
It’s your call.

OP
OP
Adamoni

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
I don’t know about any of this but I’ll be going to second click to calculate my mileage. Hoping to start seeing some actual diesel mileage post here soon I think 9 or more have been delivered to forum members.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Been doing it for years on my JLUR, wife’s compass and two prior VW diesels without issue...have you run into this problem?
Once in a Mazda once in a Honda. Carbon canister required replacement.
Sponsored