Sponsored

3.0D Jeep Diesel now available for ordering! Priced at $6k.

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Here is some detail from the October Order Guide about the diesel in the Rubicon (I deleted the info for the other models for readability):

3.0L V6 TURBO DIESEL ENGINE W/ESS G3 (EXJ) FWP 3,560 MSRP 4,000
8-SPD AUTO 8HP75 TRANS (BUY-GERMANY) (DFV) FWP 1,780 MSRP 2,000 26R

DFV 8-SPD AUTO 8HP75 TRANS (BUY-GERMANY)
• HILL DESCENT CONTROL (BNH)
• TIP START (XBN)

EXJ 3.0L V6 TURBO DIESEL ENGINE W/ESS G3
• 18.3 GALLON FUEL TANK (NGA)
• 3.73 REAR AXLE RATIO (DME)
• AUX BATTERY (BC1)
• GVW RATING - 6100# (Z1M)
• NON-LOCK FUEL CAP W/ DISCRIMINATOR (XJ4)
• SELECTIVE CATALYTIC REDUCTION (UREA) (XAL)
• STOP-START DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM (XHZ)

The 8HP75 transmission is awesome. It is a heavier-duty version of the other 8spd transmission (850RE).
For those that don't know, UREA is the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) that is injected in the exhaust (duh) to create clean emissions (basically water and nitrogen). The addition of the DEF tank is probably the primary reason for the reduction of the fuel tank from 21.5 gallons to 18.3 gallons.

There is a little joke in there: "3.73 REAR axle ratio". Hmmm, I wonder what is the FRONT axle ratio?
Sponsored

Last edited:

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
8-SPD AUTO 8HP75 TRANS (BUY-GERMANY)

The 8HP75 transmission is awesome. It is a heavier-duty version of the other 8spd transmission (850RE)
The 8HP75 is a genuine ZF transmission to boot.

Unlike the FCA built 850RFE that is based off ZF’s 8HP50

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
The 8HP75 is a genuine ZF transmission to boot.

Unlike the FCA built 850RFE that is based off ZF’s 8HP50
Yea and it’ll take 550 lb-ft all day long. Easily the industry standard for refinement and reliability too. You don’t get the likes of Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, Maserati, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Alfa Romeo, Lamborghini and Bentley all interested in the same underlying transmission design without doing something right.

Dalma

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon - Bikini Pearl
Has anyone been able to successfully order in Canada?
I contacted my local dealership here in Vancouver and I'm waiting on a status update on ordering diesels. I'll keep you posted as I here back.

Sponsored

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
The 1500 3.6 4x4 and JLU 2.0 do a whopping 1mpg combined better than the JLU 3.6 (21 vs 20 respectively). Gen3 3.0 1500 4x4 is EPA rated at 24 combined which would potentially translate to 23 combined for the JLU 3.0, though it looks like some 1500 3.0 media test rigs are beating the EPA rating by solid margins so we’ll see. Either way, once you’ve got a rig loaded with 37s, bumpers, winch, lift etc, the separation between diesel and gas options will expand significantly.
So Jeep agrees with my 10% comment. All I will say about media tests is they need to see the mileage including a dpf regen. You can usually figure in about 3% additional cost for def for any diesel too.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So Jeep agrees with my 10% comment. All I will say about media tests is they need to see the mileage including a dpf regen. You can usually figure in about 3% additional cost for def for any diesel too.
Depends where you buy DEF...or whether the system is present in some cases. Same is true for DPFs. The reality of the situation will be known soon enough.

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Here is some detail from the October Order Guide about the diesel in the Rubicon (I deleted the info for the other models for readability):

3.0L V6 TURBO DIESEL ENGINE W/ESS G3 (EXJ) FWP 3,560 MSRP 4,000
8-SPD AUTO 8HP75 TRANS (BUY-GERMANY) (DFV) FWP 1,780 MSRP 2,000 26R

DFV 8-SPD AUTO 8HP75 TRANS (BUY-GERMANY)
• HILL DESCENT CONTROL (BNH)
• TIP START (XBN)

EXJ 3.0L V6 TURBO DIESEL ENGINE W/ESS G3
• 18.3 GALLON FUEL TANK (NGA)
• 3.73 REAR AXLE RATIO (DME)
• AUX BATTERY (BC1)
• GVW RATING - 6100# (Z1M)
• NON-LOCK FUEL CAP W/ DISCRIMINATOR (XJ4)
• SELECTIVE CATALYTIC REDUCTION (UREA) (XAL)
• STOP-START DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM (XHZ)

The 8HP75 transmission is awesome. It is a heavier-duty version of the other 8spd transmission (850RE).
For those that don't know, UREA is the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) that is injected in the exhaust (duh) to create clean emissions (basically water and nitrogen). The addition of the DEF tank is probably the primary reason for the reduction of the fuel tank from 21.5 gallons to 18.3 gallons.

There is a little joke in there: "3.73 REAR axle ratio". Hmmm, I wonder what is the FRONT axle ratio?
Hill Decent Control - (BNH)

Is that an exhaust brake and is it included standard equipment?

I have aftermarket exhaust brakes on both my Cummins and love them.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hill Decent Control - (BNH)

Is that an exhaust brake and is it included standard equipment?

I have aftermarket exhaust brakes on both my Cummins and love them.
Hill Decent Control is not an exhaust brake. It has come standard on every automatic transmission Wrangler since 2011

Hill Descent Control (HDC) – If Equipped
HDC is only intended for low speed off-road driving.
HDC maintains vehicle speed while descending hills in off-road driving conditions by applying the brakes when necessary. The symbol indicates the status of the Hill Descent Control (HDC) feature. The lamp will be on solid when HDC is armed. HDC can only be armed when the transfer case is in the “4WD LOW” position and the vehicle speed is less then 30 mph(48 km/h).

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I think someone posted 26mpg in another thread for the 2.0. I would call bs on that but 23-24 would not shock me, and I doubt the diesel will be much better than that given that is all the previous gen could do in the truck before they got recalibrated and got worse. The 3.6 in the ram1500 truck is rated for better mileage than in the JL.
My mpg is getting better. I got about 26 mpg with A/C blasting on a 400 mile trip a few weeks ago. Calculated by hand. Dead flat, all highway, averaging about 70 mph. I have a JLR 2.0T with the Rubicon gears. I bet someone with a Sport 2.0 and Sport gears can get 28+mpg on a flat highway under ideal conditions.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My mpg is getting better. I got about 26 mpg with A/C blasting on a 400 mile trip a few weeks ago. Calculated by hand. Dead flat, all highway, averaging about 70 mph. I have a JLR 2.0T with the Rubicon gears. I bet someone with a Sport 2.0 and Sport gears can get 28+mpg on a flat highway under ideal conditions.
JL is rated 2mpg combined higher than JLU so not terribly surprising. Then again my MkVI golf TDI used to get 55mpg hwy, which cannot all be attributed to the dynamic EGR tune they were busted for, so EPA ratings ought to be taken with a pile of salt.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
You are 100% correct, the 3.6 in the JL vs the JK is night and day thanks to the 8 speed.....now imagine that transmission with 442ft/lbs of torque.
But consider the RPM range you will be giving up.. just like the 2.0 its great between 1k-5k, I am sure the 3.0 will be 1k-3.5k.. There is lot to be said for 1k to 6.8k RPM range of pulling - acceleration.. aka horse power..

I hope im wrong.. look forward to the drive reviews and tests..

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I get the impression you'd be doing burnouts in 1st gear with 4.10 gearing and 400ft-lb torque. It may be necessary on the 3.6 Rubicon, but it makes the shift points kinda amusing. 1st to 2nd at like 15mph if you're not holding the gas down real hard lol.

TurboTJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I gave up and bought a Raptor back in May. I’ve been really happy with it but I’m drooling over this diesel!

Do you guys think that there will be tuners released for them soon? A banks tuned 3.0L diesel wrangler would be incredible!!!

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I gave up and bought a Raptor back in May. I’ve been really happy with it but I’m drooling over this diesel!

Do you guys think that there will be tuners released for them soon? A banks tuned 3.0L diesel wrangler would be incredible!!!
Define “soon”. EPA compliant tunes from the US will probably be end of 2020 at the earliest and Canadian tunes/deletes will likely be even later.
Sponsored