Sponsored

3.0D Jeep Diesel now available for ordering! Priced at $6k.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
For realz! Getting all technical to justify a purchase lol serious stuff in here.. The 3.0 guys are kind of no fun LOL
You’re absolutely right. It’s usually like “duh, am I supposed to wave at Gladiators, duh?”
Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Some of you guys are thinking these are big powerful heavy duty diesels that will move everything. They aren’t. They are light duty 3.0 diesels. They will be affected by larger tires, bumpers etc like any other engine.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Diesels idle with an air fuel ratio that can easily reach 100:1 while a gasser will be 15:1 tops. This makes low load & idle in a diesel FAR more efficient than a gasser [...].
Except that at idle and low load a diesel is typically producing its maximum amount of soot which covers the DPF screen and requires a regen which lowers MPG. Nothing comes for free...

Sponsored

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Here's my perception of this. The diesel was supposed to have debuted with the JL in 2018, but didn't, it took two more years in development. I'm guessing they were forced to redesign major component since it took as long as it did. This explains the high cost, FCA must recoup their R&D costs in redesigning this engine, quite possibly more than once.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Here's my perception of this. The diesel was supposed to have debuted with the JL in 2018, but didn't, it took two more years in development. I'm guessing they were forced to redesign major component since it took as long as it did. This explains the high cost, FCA must recoup their R&D costs in redesigning this engine, quite possibly more than once.
The cost doesn't seem to be out of line to me.

njones61

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK Wrangler Rubicon
As gas & diesel get more expensive this timeline shrinks, and we know prices will climb - they always do.
Here in Northern California today Diesel is $3.99, Regular $4.20, Midgrade $4.30, and Premium $4.40, so the return would be MUCH quicker. - with the numbers you used and local fuel prices here it'd be $1,155 savings in fuel annually recovering the $4,000 premium in under 3.5 years.

The additional low RPM torque/power will be VERY nice when pushing 37's up a mountain highway at 70+mph and the thing doesn't need to shift down 2-3 gears and scream at high RPM to get the job done, and let's be honest, even the most built JL trail rigs will see 90+% highway and anyone with steep roads will appreciate this.

Diesels idle with an air fuel ratio that can easily reach 100:1 while a gasser will be 15:1 tops. This makes low load & idle in a diesel FAR more efficient than a gasser - like fill up in Georgetown, CA and hit the Rubicon Trail with one diesel and one gas JL and see the diesel get to Tahoe with the needle still pegged on full and the gasser at half a tank. This is where the efficiency advantage gets HUGE.

There are many other advantages to the diesel power plant already discussed, but they aren't for everyone. If you live somewhere flat with $2 gas and $3 diesel and only the offroad driving you do is to show off in the mud at high RPM then it definitely isn't a smart buy for you, or if you will sell it off in a year (depending on resale value which is yet to be seen).

For someone with expensive fuel, lots of mountains to traverse, or who wants to spend a bunch of time rock crawling, the Diesel will likely pay off both economically and in comfort/pleasure. In the end it really is just nice to have options and not just one flavor for everyone - most do like Vanilla, but some would prefer something else.
Fuel prices where I live (Utah): gas = $2.79/gal, diesel = $2.89/gal (as of yesterday).

I spend a lot of time at high altitude and occasional rock crawling. I also have a fishing boat (~3500 lbs) that I need to tow to my favorite lake at 8000 ft in elevation. I think the diesel will be great for that.

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
KEYWORD with the Diesel is: DRIVEABILITY

As someone who has a JKU with 90K on the clock I can tell you the Diesel will be much more enjoyable to drive on a daily basis if your Wrangler is modified. 35s or 37s + steel bumpers front and rear + winch add a lot of weight. While the Wrangler stock is fine, they don't like weight. My JKU is terrible in the mountains and tiresome on long trips that require hours of hwy driving. Simply having the power to get out of its own way will make a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE in how much more enjoyable these vehicles become for Overlanding.
In a truck Ecodiesel vs 2.7 ecoboost drivability favored the eco boost and mileage for me was 24 diesel vs 20 ecoboost. Basically the same cost per mile if I ignored diesel maintenance and def cost.
If I buy another jl it will be manual 3.6 or auto 2.0. Those are the lowest cost options and I bet the 2.0 non etorque is within 10% of the diesel in real mileage and better snap off the line and same or better power at altitude.

EPA has gone after the diesel tuners hard so you are probably looking at black market for a non egr/non dpf tune. Unless you are towing very heavy, diesel is dead as a cost effective solution in passenger cars. Most people who buy 3/4 and 1 ton trucks for business have been buying gas for a while now. Ford just released a bigger gas engine and GM is right behind. Nissan killed off the diesel Titan. They see the writing on the wall.

if you want a diesel wrangler don’t wait. There won’t be a next gen.

Sponsored

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
Ordered my EcoDiesel Rubicon on Saturday, Oct 12th. I found it interesting that they come standard with 3.73 gears, and no option to upgrade to 4.10. Makes sense... 442 lb-ft of torque should be plenty to get the stock rubber rollin'.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't say the auto trans is "included" - I would say it's a forced option. You can't keep the manual trans with the EcoDiesel; you have to pick the auto trans. Pricing is correct as previously mentioned; $4k for the EcoDiesel and $2k for the 8-speed.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My buddy has this engine in the Ram and it's been an unmitigated disaster. One problem after another.
My wife drives a '16 EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee, and we absolutely love it. It's been nothing short of fantastic. It's what sold me on ditching my JKUR in favor of the JLUR.

That said, I've read a dozen or so articles about some of the problems with the early EcoDiesels - they've certainly had issues. Maybe we just lucked out, but it's been rock-solid for us.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Ordered my EcoDiesel Rubicon on Saturday, Oct 12th. I found it interesting that they come standard with 3.73 gears, and no option to upgrade to 4.10. Makes sense... 442 lb-ft of torque should be plenty to get the stock rubber rollin'.
Congrats! Definitely update the production thread if you get a VIN and go beyond C-status.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Those are the lowest cost options and I bet the 2.0 non etorque is within 10% of the diesel in real mileage and better snap off the line and same or better power at altitude.
I’m open for a friendly wager re a 10% difference between 2.0 and 3.0mpg...
Sponsored