3.0D Jeep Diesel now available for ordering! Priced at $6k.

1. JLURD

JLURD Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2018 JLUR 3.6/6MT
    Liked:
    Correction...much more torque at low RPM. And more importantly, better range for overland trips...as a function of best mpg at baseline, far less mpg reduction when rolling resistance and weight go up with mods, and 3.73 gearing which still allows for more wheel torque than the 2.0 or 3.6 with 4.10s. The concept has been the holy grail of wheeling drivetrains and we’re finally going to find out if FCA’s gen3 3.0 can deliver on said expectations.

Vegas_Sirk likes this.
  2. mtnmerlin

mtnmerlin Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee ecodiesel (2015 Jeep Wrangler Hardrock sold and 2020 JLU Rubicon ecodiesel on order)
    Liked:
    Well, maybe it comes in a gas can (hah). I sure hope they don't put gasoline in the diesel fuel tank.

nvabill likes this.
  3. bruno747

bruno747 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
    Liked:
    Actually according to Jeep reps, the drivetrain fits fine, the reason they skipped two door is that once the def tank steals fuel tank space they thought the fuel tank would be too small on the two door and not sell.

IE the engineers lack the imagination to come up with a solution that doesn't eat into fuel tank space.

mrhumble1 likes this.
  4. Crux

Crux Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 3.0D JLUR ordered
    Liked:
    The ban on tunes is highly concerning for me especially given then the unexpected curtailment of 480ftlb to 442. Still lots of go but who knows what the low end of the curve will truly look? Would be nice to have the tunes available. I can’t wait to get behind one of these for a test.
    https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/settlement-epa-and-department-justice-prohibits-performance-diesel-inc-selling-diesel

F
    or diesel benefits don’t forget to mention to the question poser:
    - mpg
    - hedge against rising oil costs
    - significantly less power loss at altitude
    - theoretically but not proven to be in JLU: improved towing (unfortunately power isn’t the JLU limiting factor), reliability of engine.

potential cons:
    - if you can’t DEF delete then increased maintenance cost
    - higher entry price point
    - 80% overhauled yet unproven engine
    - protection of DEF in off-road application (simply unproven)

5. mtnmerlin

mtnmerlin Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee ecodiesel (2015 Jeep Wrangler Hardrock sold and 2020 JLU Rubicon ecodiesel on order)
    Liked:
    Were you correcting me? It really is power. Power is torque times rotational speed (RPM). The more torque at low RPMs is what gives more power at low RPMs. So, true, the diesel has more torque at low RPM which results in more power....

jalbrecht55 likes this.
  6. Cwu21

Cwu21 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle(s):
    Silverado
    Liked:
    I just got back from my local dealer getting my order ready. They told me that the MPG numbers they got from FCA was 30mpg combined. That was my questions as I was walking out and didn’t follow up with city and highway. If that is true then that number is where I wanted to be. I can’t confirm the accuracy though since I haven’t seen MPGs posted anywhere else

7. digitalbliss

digitalbliss Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
    Liked:
    Much more torque

8. nvabill

nvabill Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Liked:
    Gotcha, the 2020 configuration still showing $2500.

9. JLURD

JLURD Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Fortunately they’ve been used to sending export diesels off the line since the JK days lol

10. JLURD

JLURD Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    My comment was re wheel HP which is not more at low RPM in the diesel compared to the 2.0 at low RPM, despite the diesel making significantly more torque at low RPM.

11. JLURD

JLURD Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    There are no EPA figures yet and the chances of seeing 30 combined are precisely zero. It might squeak out 30 on the highway but I wouldn’t expect to see more than about 25 combined.

miklm likes this.
  12. TroyBoy

TroyBoy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Troy
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR
    Liked:
    That’s why it says $0 for the remote start

Edit: Doh, I should read the full thread first

13. offcamber

offcamber Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle(s):
    2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
    Liked:
    We have the 3.0 Ecodiesel in the WK2. About the same power specs as the gen 3 in the JL. It was a complete dog when we got it. With the EGR delete and GDE tune, it's a rocket. With all of the tuners being prevented from tuning, there is no way I'd go with the diesel. Everyone I know with the ecodiesel that didn't do a delete and tune started having major issues around 80k miles or so with the particulate filter and EGR. We deleted and tuned ours at around 15k so ours has been wonderful. My father in law (a nancy who won't break the law) gets about 17mpg in his now and it's a complete dog. We get about 34mpg and ours is fun as hell to drive.

Solidaxle and Crux like this.
  14. simrokkzz

simrokkzz Active Member

First Name:
    Simon
    Vehicle(s):
    Passat + Focus ST
    Liked:
    In Europe we have the 2.2 Diesel with JL - sure just with auto trans

For me the only combination which makes sense. The 2.0 Turbo Petrol should be a digital car, especially with 35 or 37 tires. Either full throttle or none.
    For the Diesel its much better, due to low down torque.

If you guys are so mad for Diesel engines, why nobody was importing the EU Diesel before the 3.0 was launched in US?

15. RubenZ

RubenZ Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ruben
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sport Sting-Gray
    Liked:
    I'll see how this Diesel is. My gut tells me it's going to be a train wreck and I don't see how so many people can order something blindly without test driving or waiting for more end user experiences. For starters, the DEF is disappointing. Those systems cost an arm and a leg to replace or fix. And some states will not allow you in their turf if you bypass it. The 2nd issue I have is the extra DEF tank etc underneath the jeep. Theres no room now under the jeep. These vehicles are just becoming way over bloated with Emissions and extra crap.

I'm really pulling for this diesel. I love diesels, but all my diesels have dated pre 07' when DEF was required across the board.