3.0 won’t crank

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
It’s cold here in TX. -2 with a wind chill of -12 when I got up. He won’t crank. Never owned a diesel vehicle before. Any help? Open carport. Not a garage.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
could be 100 different things. Need more info. Provide as many details as possible. What are you seeing? What are you hearing? Did you plug in a block heater?
It’s wanting to turn over but won’t fire up. No block heater. Battery has juice from What I can tell. It was in this colder weather all night.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Sorry to hear.
Could be many things, and hopefully transient issue which is just low temps related.
Possibly fuel may have gelled up most likely?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think your fuel might have gelled up.
I’m almost positive that’s what it is. Any idea what I can do to remedy the issue? Besides the ambient temp outside be above freezing? Lol

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Is there a glow plug that u can let cook a little longer?

idk this engine but my diesel Benz has a plug

this weather is tough on everything!

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there a glow plug that u can let cook a little longer?

idk this engine but my diesel Benz has a plug

this weather is tough on everything!
Don’t know where it would he. I’m at work now. Gonna see what I can find online

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
It’s cold here in TX. -2 with a wind chill of -12 when I got up. He won’t crank. Never owned a diesel vehicle before. Any help? Open carport. Not a garage.
I am sure your #2 diesel fuel is winterized. Also, the water/fuel separator has a heater for the fuel to prevent gelling. You can add the Mopar premium diesel fuel treatment as well.

However, fuel gelling does not prevent the engine from cranking. It prevents it from starting. You said it will not crank in your subject title. Since you do not have an engine block heater, you can get a heater that inserts into the engine oil indicator adapter tube (dipstick) to warm your engine oil overnight. But most of all, connect a battery charger to your main battery. Not a battery tender, a battery charger. But make sure the charging voltage is no greater than 14.4 volts, or you could damage your auxiliary battery. You should also test your battery to make sure it is still viable, otherwise it will not hold a charge

Sponsored

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
I had the same issue! Mine did crank and started for a couple of seconds. I raised the hood let the sun warm it up. Got an indication I had water in my fuel filter. When it started I drove around a bit and moved one of my benz’s outside and the Jeep in. All is good now. I do NOT have the block heater cable for my Jeep.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I'd assume a battery issue. But if it isn't, try pushing the start button with your foot off the brake to cycle the engine start process. What I'm thinking is that even though you don't have an engine block heater, you can cycle the glow plug, DEF, Fuel, and associated heaters that will aid in starting your vehicle. If your battery was low to begin with, the temperature sensor calling for all of these other heaters to do their job would exacerbate your voltage issue.

So if the battery needs a charge anyway, there is no harm in cycling the start procedure 2 times. If it doesn't start throw the charger on it. If it still doesn't start, I don't know....

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
If the temp is -2, then you can pretty much bet it isnt cranking because the fuel is Gelling up. They make fuel additives to prevent this. Also, block heaters are a very good thing for diesels, in cold weather.