3.0 vs 2.0, it's Jeep time for Mongo!

IdahoSting

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
I would get the LED's and the 8.4, I have found both worth the money. I am still struggling with the engine, but have about decided to go for the diesel this round. My 19 has the 3.6 and I would really like to increase the range and much of my travels are through hills up and down where I think the added torque would be helpful.
Sponsored

Bobsled

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2005 TJ Rubicon
If you need the heated seats and steering wheel , the hardtop might be better for you.
You can always pick up a soft top later

OP
OP
RusM

RusM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
If you need the heated seats and steering wheel , the hardtop might be better for you.
You can always pick up a soft top later
I figure the softop will survive getting dragged across trees better, plus it's cheaper!

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I second the LED’s and 8.4.
I'm also really happy with proximity sensors and would consider the front trail cam. I recently added the Z automotive front cam. It’s ok but the stock one is better quality.

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I was on the fence about trading my 2.0 in for a diesel too for the torque and additional range. After seeing what headbarcode wrote, I think I’ll keep my 2.0

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Something else I hadn't really factored was the 3.0 wieghs significantly more than the 2.0, I was expecting a couple hundred pounds. But it's more like 4-500#! That's a significant amount of weight right over the front axle and not great for snow wheeling. So a 2.0 with winch, bumpers, sliders would weigh right in around what the 3.0 wieghs stock.

Well I think I've pretty much talked myself out of the diesel at this point. Plus it's going to be nice to have a slightly smaller car payment! Going to put my order in this weekend:

Rubicon Unlimited
Hydro Blue
2.0T
Cold Weather Group
Trailer Tow Package
BFG A/Ts
Black softtop (Really Fiat I've got to pay to get black?!)

Any good reason to get the 8.4" screen or LEDs from the factory or just get aftermarket later?

Thanks fellow Jeepers! :captain:
Even the combined weight of your average bumpers, sliders, and winch are still less than the diesel weight. Especially when you factor in the combined weight of the factory parts that end up being given or sold to forum members with Sports and Saharas.

The full LED package is a must have, in my humble opinion. The best that the current aftermarket has to offer, to fully convert the exterior to LED, mostly consists of led bulbs that go in the halogen housings. The only true LED lamp assemblies from them are the headlamps and taillights, and the cost is too close to the factory package.

I also thoroughly enjoy the Alpine, 8.5 uconnect, proximity locks, and the cold weather package which includes remote start. I've been pampered by the warm hands and ass on the cold mornings, without having to run out and fire it up.

Jeep Wrangler JL 3.0 vs 2.0, it's Jeep time for Mongo! oh-my-gah-soooo-good

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I figure the softop will survive getting dragged across trees better, plus it's cheaper!
I would disagree with this at least here in AZ. the heat, and brush / trees does a number on the soft top and vinal windows. even the hard top takes some damage, but they seem to hold up better. (mesquite brush is a nightmare). I do plan to get a soft top as well as the hard top, but if im ever on narrow trails with brush i would have to put the top down first.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I guess time will tell, but I love the diesel so far.

Get the upgrade stereo and the AUX switches.

Kfink

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wangler
I have a 3.0 and love it. Something else to keep in mind, I believe all 3.0s come with dana 44's and 3.73 gears. Mostly local driving, and not trying to save it I'm getting 27 MPG

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i know it's going to be different for everyone, but the range and the abundant torque of the diesel sucked me in; the upgraded driveline bits that come with it just sealed the deal.
after driving one, i wasn't interested in anything else.

the reduced lubricity and other issues associated with the Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel that we finally got in the US can be easily dealt with with additives or BioFuels. (even some major brands here already have stickers on the pumps saying they include 5-20% fuel made from BioMass.)

Hi everybody! So after a having nothing but Yotas, Lexus, a Ford or two and one Wrangler that had had horrible things done to it's electric system, I've decided to go insane and order a Jeep from the factory! My plan is a pretty basic build, armor, small lift, chromo axles, 37's, etc, and wheel it fairly hard out here in Washington.

With all that, would you go diesel or gas turbo? I have A Taco right now and pretty much hate the poor mileage just because it gets the worst mileage of any Toyota I've had, even an FZJ80! Also range can be a bit if an issue for our backcountry routes up here too.

So what would you do? Do the diesel's really get the mpg everyone claims? Even all farkled up? Is the 2.0 not that bad? Save the $5k for mods and gas?

Pick of YJ in driveway for street cred! :clap:

20121230_115158.jpg

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I have the 3.0 on a loaded JLUR. Running 37" MTRs on beadlocks at ~115 lbs each (74 stock KM2), 2.5" MetalCloak lift, winch, and a few other goodies. A little over 8000 miles and I've tracked fuel usage with every tank. Average 21-24 mpg with a very diverse driving pattern (city, highway 80 mph, snow, trails, towing 3500 lb sailboat, towing 1800 lb sailboat, towing 2800 lb camper), pretty much all in the mountains over 5000' with a few southern Utah/Colorado desert trips.

I was averaging 23-28 mpg before the 37s and lift. I was averaging 17-18 mpg in my manual 2014 JKUR on 34s, and 15-18 in my manual 2009 JKUR on 35s.

We drove all engines back to back one day before ordering ours and it confirmed our decision. My wife has a heavy foot and "need for speed" and she loves how quick the diesel is off the line. It is quieter on the highway (extra sound deadening as suggested I think), and we both felt like it was more composed on the road.

The extra weight is noticeable, but not the end of the world.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 3.0 on a loaded JLUR. Running 37" MTRs on beadlocks at ~115 lbs each (74 stock KM2), 2.5" MetalCloak lift, winch, and a few other goodies. A little over 8000 miles and I've tracked fuel usage with every tank. Average 21-24 mpg with a very diverse driving pattern (city, highway 80 mph, snow, trails, towing 3500 lb sailboat, towing 1800 lb sailboat, towing 2800 lb camper), pretty much all in the mountains over 5000' with a few southern Utah/Colorado desert trips.

I was averaging 23-28 mpg before the 37s and lift. I was averaging 17-18 mpg in my manual 2014 JKUR on 34s, and 15-18 in my manual 2009 JKUR on 35s.

We drove all engines back to back one day before ordering ours and it confirmed our decision. My wife has a heavy foot and "need for speed" and she loves how quick the diesel is off the line. It is quieter on the highway (extra sound deadening as suggested I think), and we both felt like it was more composed on the road.

The extra weight is noticeable, but not the end of the world.
what are your thoughts on the 37s and stock 3.73 gearing? I like the idea of keeping the 3.73 for strength, and keep going back and forth between running 35s like my 2019 and 2020 JLUR, or going to a 37" this time. I will be on a lighter 37, but really dont want to lose all the low end pickup tha the Eco-Diesel has. (like you mentioned, after driving the 3.0 back to back with the others there was no comparison for me or my wife.) I would like a bit of extra height, but we do a lot of longer trips and the 35s may be better mannered for that.

first world problem for sure trying to determine if I should go 35" or 37" tires lol.
Sponsored