Sponsored

3.0 vs 2.0, it's Jeep time for Mongo!

RusM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Hi everybody! So after a having nothing but Yotas, Lexus, a Ford or two and one Wrangler that had had horrible things done to it's electric system, I've decided to go insane and order a Jeep from the factory! My plan is a pretty basic build, armor, small lift, chromo axles, 37's, etc, and wheel it fairly hard out here in Washington.

With all that, would you go diesel or gas turbo? I have A Taco right now and pretty much hate the poor mileage just because it gets the worst mileage of any Toyota I've had, even an FZJ80! Also range can be a bit if an issue for our backcountry routes up here too.

So what would you do? Do the diesel's really get the mpg everyone claims? Even all farkled up? Is the 2.0 not that bad? Save the $5k for mods and gas?

Pick of YJ in driveway for street cred! :clap:

20121230_115158.jpg
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The 2.0. I don’t really see any owners complaining. Great mileage. No diesel issues with it. Save money from the get go.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Diesel JL units will be a bit heavier than the gas units so you will have less payload to play with.

Having said that the diesel engine torque is great for those slow crawls. So figure up how much stuff is going with you in the Jeep and see if the lighter gas unit makes sense.

I drove all the available powertrains before I purchased and I am very happy with the 2.4L turbo I4 with the 8-speed auto.

Last edited:

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Hi everybody! So after a having nothing but Yotas, Lexus, a Ford or two and one Wrangler that had had horrible things done to it's electric system, I've decided to go insane and order a Jeep from the factory! My plan is a pretty basic build, armor, small lift, chromo axles, 37's, etc, and wheel it fairly hard out here in Washington.

With all that, would you go diesel or gas turbo? I have A Taco right now and pretty much hate the poor mileage just because it gets the worst mileage of any Toyota I've had, even an FZJ80! Also range can be a bit if an issue for our backcountry routes up here too.

So what would you do? Do the diesel's really get the mpg everyone claims? Even all farkled up? Is the 2.0 not that bad? Save the $5k for mods and gas?

Pick of YJ in driveway for street cred! :clap:

Jeep Wrangler JL 3.0 vs 2.0, it's Jeep time for Mongo! 20121230_115158
I was in the same boat, but add in the Pentastar to the mix.

I went out and test drove them. For me the Pentastar won ONLY because of the MT option. No complaints against the automatic at all (my wife's Gladiator has it), I just really, really dug the MT. We put an order in on Saturday.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
My 2.0 has been a great choice. I wanted a 2 dr so the diesel wasn’t an option, but I’ve no regrets. Consistently mileage in the mid 20’s with a worst tank of 20.9 running some fire service roads. I love diesels, but modern ones need to be “driven” several miles and consistently to run correctly. Short haul stuff will clog a dpf and kill your fuel economy.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I just drove the 2.0 and 3.0 back to back Sunday. idenitical JLURs excep formthe motor. I really wanted to like the 2.0, but there was no comparison between the two for us. The 3.0 is so much smoother (shifting, power delivery etc) and even quieter on the highway. my wife thought the 2.0 was on mud tires. it even rode different. both were on K02s with same air pressure. Even my wife said there is no way she would choose the 2.0 over the 3.0. as a comparison I have had 3 (3.6) JLURs, and I did like the 2.0 more than the 3.6.

another interesting thing is that it took forever for a dealer to have both engine options in a Rubicon on the lot. I asked why there were no 2.0s and the salesman said that they are not selling as well and a lot of people are unhappy with it and wanting to trade back for a 3.6. that was the first I heard that, and not sure I believe it. they did say they are ordering mostly the 3.0 and 3.6 now though. (they had one 2.0 JLUR, one 3.6 JLUR, and like four 3.0 JLURs.)

I think the 2.0 and 3.0 are good options, but if money is not a factor the 3.0 wins for me hands down after back to back driving.

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
Loaded down and big tires what do you want ? Low torque and high rpm or high torque and low rpm

Recoil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
It comes down to taste, 2.0 and 3.6 are both good engines. The diesel is great for torque but it weighs more, has higher upfront cost and higher maintenance costs. I suggest you go check out the forums for each engine and look at the comparison threads.

Edit: and I just reread that your asking about the turbo vs the diesel, not the v6. Turbo is cheaper in the long run.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Loaded down and big tires what do you want ? Low torque and high rpm or high torque and low rpm
But he’s not talking about the 3.6 with low torque. And dyno’s show the 2.0 underrated. The biggest challenge, which is nothing if you’ve owned a turbo engine before, is learning the throttle curve.

As to nvh, the ‘19 2.0 is more quiet than my ‘21 3.6.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
But he’s not talking about the 3.6 with low torque. And dyno’s show the 2.0 underrated. The biggest challenge, which is nothing if you’ve owned a turbo engine before, is learning the throttle curve.
I've noticed that the throttle response and downshift speed have improved as I've driven, especially after the first 500 miles. The adaptive programming for the transmission takes a little while to learn my lead foot, but it gets out of its own way better. My first one (2018 eTorque) felt a little perkier after the first oil change, too, but that might be placebo.

Which is to say, I like this engine more the longer I drive it, which hasn't been the case with most of the diesels I've owned; and my real world driving experience has been significantly better than the test drive, with both of my JLs.

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD

He can cruise the 3.0 between 1500-2000 the 2.0 is between 2500-4000 . That’s why I said high or low rpm

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase

I agree that the 2021 2.0 seemed quieter than my 2020 3.6. The 3.0 was quieter than both others though at highway speeds. I assume its the additional sound proofing and the fact that the engines just operate at much lower rpms.

My hope was to get fhe 2.0 and do a Superchips pcm swap and tune, but we really liked the Diesel after driving ot for a while. if the Diesel was not available I would probably get the 2.0 over another 3.6. Once the bugs are worked out of the 4XE and I have less need for cargo space that may be my preference.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
He can cruise the 3.0 between 1500-2000 the 2.0 is between 2500-4000 . That’s why I said high or low rpm
At legal highway speeds and higher, my 2.0 on 38x13.5's lifted 4" over stock and factory 4.10's is cruising at about 1900 rpm. While briskly accelerating I shift at about 4000 rpm.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Right. The subjective part was “low torque at high rpm” instead of the broad part of the torque curve being less usable given the rpms needed.

That little 2.0 will pull (so will a 3.6). The converter will let it see enough rpm under load to move these wranglers. Especially if they’re all regeared accordingly with the taller tires. Now, that diesel can get away with less gearing due to the copious amount of torque available in that low rpm range leading to excellent economy in that range, typically, and that’s the point of a diesel.
Sponsored