Sponsored

3.0 Ecodiesel front Axle larger carrier?

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
So I bought a Diesel Rubicon, ordered in October 2019 and delivered in March of 2020. I understand all of the diesels have the D44 front axle (M210) and as its a Rubicon, I figured it'd be obvious.

While waiting I bought some parts for my Jeep, and ended up buying some diff covers among other things. When I finally got the jeep I started installing my parts, and the front diff cover didn't fit. The rear fit with no issues.

What I noticed, is that the front Carrier bolts interfered with the new diff cover leaving bolt head imprints on the inside of the cover. This cover is from Ballistic Fabrication. And I have verified I have the proper front cover for a Rubicon front axle. And Yes, Ballistic Fabrication is a great company and has responded to me very quickly about this issue. Seeing as there and very few 3.0 Diesel Wranglers on the road, this could be something that is unique to the axles these come with.

So the questions are; Is the D44 that comes on the 3.0 EcoDiesel Wrangler different than the gas engine powered Rubicons? Do all Diesel Wranglers have this same axle axle? or is there a difference between the Rubicon and non Rubicon front D44 axle besides the locker or absence of a locker? What does this mean to front axle upgrades like RCVs, regearings, and diff covers among other things?

upload_2020-4-11_18-15-59.jpeg

upload_2020-4-11_18-16-39.jpeg
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
So I bought a Diesel Rubicon, ordered in October 2019 and delivered in March of 2020. I understand all of the diesels have the D44 front axle (M210) and as its a Rubicon, I figured it'd be obvious.

While waiting I bought some parts for my Jeep, and ended up buying some diff covers among other things. When I finally got the jeep I started installing my parts, and the front diff cover didn't fit. The rear fit with no issues.

What I noticed, is that the front Carrier bolts interfered with the new diff cover leaving bolt head imprints on the inside of the cover. This cover is from Ballistic Fabrication. And I have verified I have the proper front cover for a Rubicon front axle. And Yes, Ballistic Fabrication is a great company and has responded to me very quickly about this issue. Seeing as there and very few 3.0 Diesel Wranglers on the road, this could be something that is unique to the axles these come with.

So the questions are; Is the D44 that comes on the 3.0 EcoDiesel Wrangler different than the gas engine powered Rubicons? Do all Diesel Wranglers have this same axle axle? or is there a difference between the Rubicon and non Rubicon front D44 axle besides the locker or absence of a locker? What does this mean to front axle upgrades like RCVs, regearings, and diff covers among other things?

upload_2020-4-11_18-15-59.jpeg

upload_2020-4-11_18-16-39.jpeg
We put a set of Metalcloak front and rear covers on a Diesel Rubi last weekend while doing a gear oil change. Fit without issues.

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
We put a set of Metalcloak front and rear covers on a Diesel Rubi last weekend while doing a gear oil change. Fit without issues.
That's good to know, if I could only get verification that Rubicon RCV's fit, I'd be golden.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Those imprints look to be the carrier retainer bolts from the passenger side. Using 'old' D44 logic, that retainer does not change regardless of what gear ratio is in there. Interesting what part of the bolts touched = all the retainer bolts I've ever seen are flat on top like this.
Can you post a pic of your diff without the cover on? Looks like the bolts have a ridge around the top -
Old D44.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Can you post a pic of your diff without the cover on?
I'll have the whole axle off this week for an ARTEC truss and C gussets. I'll have a picture of it then. Was going to try and take some measurements and figure out if there are any differences in the axles. Forgive me if my terminology is off. I think the carrier is larger in these axles (Diesel D44), translating to larger carrier retainers and longer bolts, but that's a guess right now. Also, some other diff covers work as they offered more room, but this one has closer tolerances to allow for clearing modified steering components (won't stick out as much). If I figure there is no difference I'll just delete this thread, as I don't want to confuse people.

I wanna know how hard you were cranking down on it to leave an impression, or the metal is that soft
When we were trying it the first time, we tried to reuse the original gasket, and it was so close we actually thought the gasket was being squeezed, so yes we were torquing it down like normal. It's a little on the soft side, but it's also 3/8" thick on the mating surface, and 1/4" over the rest. After that first attempt, we realized it wasn't designed to be used with a gasket but the black gasket maker, so we pulled it off and noticed where it was hitting the bolts.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I'll have the whole axle off this week for an ARTEC truss and C gussets. I'll have a picture of it then. Was going to try and take some measurements and figure out if there are any differences in the axles. Forgive me if my terminology is off. I think the carrier is larger in these axles (Diesel D44), translating to larger carrier retainers and longer bolts, but that's a guess right now. Also, some other diff covers work as they offered more room, but this one has closer tolerances to allow for clearing modified steering components (won't stick out as much). If I figure there is no difference I'll just delete this thread, as I don't want to confuse people.

When we were trying it the first time, we tried to reuse the original gasket, and it was so close we actually thought the gasket was being squeezed, so yes we were torquing it down like normal. It's a little on the soft side, but it's also 3/8" thick on the mating surface, and 1/4" over the rest. After that first attempt, we realized it wasn't designed to be used with a gasket but the black gasket maker, so we pulled it off and noticed where it was hitting the bolts.
Such a pain in the ass sorry man

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Still looking for a picture of the front diff, without a cover on it for a JL Rubicon, but I did find a rear. Notice the Carrier Retainer bolts have those raised edges that made the imprint on my diff cover. Again, this is a picture of the rear, which I had no issues with; Just wanted to reference the bolts used. When I find a Front diff with the cover removed, I'll post that, or a picture of mine, what ever comes first.

here is my current rear cover installed

upload_2020-4-13_18-17-56.jpeg

checking-pattern-yukon-jl-gears.jpg

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I just checked with a buddy who has a D44 that's getting a gear swap and if he puts a straight edge across the pumpkin/cover flange those cap bolts are proud perhaps 1/32th of an inch.

The cover you show is flat across from the flange to where it kicks out. I believe that cover would have issues on any modern D44 in the same place.

Perhaps if using the gasket you get enough clearance as it's likely over 1/32th even compressed as metal core construction.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
I put ARB Red Front Part #: 0750011 and Rear Part #: 0750012 Competition Differential Covers on my Rubicon with no issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I just checked with a buddy who has a D44 that's getting a gear swap and if he puts a straight edge across the pumpkin/cover flange those cap bolts are proud perhaps 1/32th of an inch.
Is his a gas or diesel? I can measure mine when we pull it, and see if its the same. I'll betting it is the same, and this cover is just just wrong. Maybe I can mill it a little right where I have the interference.

I put ARB Red Front Part #: 0750011 and Rear Part #: 0750012 Competition Differential Covers on my Rubicon with no issues.
That's good to know. I want to try and make this one work, but if it's not meant to be, I'll be shopping for something else.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Is his a gas or diesel? I can measure mine when we pull it, and see if its the same. I'll betting it is the same, and this cover is just just wrong. Maybe I can mill it a little right where I have the interference.

That's good to know. I want to try and make this one work, but if it's not meant to be, I'll be shopping for something else.
Gas but the important point being that cover would not work on it either as those bolts are proud above flange.

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
So was the non rubicon diesel the same d44 or was it the narrow track d44 open diff. I'm curious if the heavy weight of the diesel not only requires the big axles but also the width for stability. Also like the gladiators (gas models) do you get the wide axles when you buy the tow package?