3.0 eco-diesel and water in engine compartment

CactusCharlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 eco-diesel
I have 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 3.0 eco-diesel. Stock, no after market toys added yet. I went through a stream that was deeper than I thought and water got into the engine compartment, probably pretty high up. Made it thru the stream then the diesel just backed off to idle. Couldn't move forward or in reverse, couldn't advance throttle even in neutral. Figured some sensor got wet. Buddy started towing back to civilization. After about an hour, I could increase idle to about 1500 in neutral, but not in forward or reverse. About two hours later it ran normal with a few icons lite up on the dash board. Figured one or more sensors finally dried out. Error code from dealer said "exhaust gas recirculator". So, what sensor in the eco-diesel would stop the vehicle from moving when it got wet? Why should you not be able to go forward or reverse, even a low speed? Can this sensor be sealed so water does not stop the vehicle from being operated? Not being able to take a jeep through water seems a little limiting to me.
Cactus Charlie
Sponsored

WVrubicon

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
I have 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 3.0 eco-diesel. Stock, no after market toys added yet. I went through a stream that was deeper than I thought and water got into the engine compartment, probably pretty high up. Made it thru the stream then the diesel just backed off to idle. Couldn't move forward or in reverse, couldn't advance throttle even in neutral. Figured some sensor got wet. Buddy started towing back to civilization. After about an hour, I could increase idle to about 1500 in neutral, but not in forward or reverse. About two hours later it ran normal with a few icons lite up on the dash board. Figured one or more sensors finally dried out. Error code from dealer said "exhaust gas recirculator". So, what sensor in the eco-diesel would stop the vehicle from moving when it got wet? Why should you not be able to go forward or reverse, even a low speed? Can this sensor be sealed so water does not stop the vehicle from being operated? Not being able to take a jeep through water seems a little limiting to me.
Cactus Charlie
You know, now that you mention it, when your DEF fluid gets low the jeep will tell you that in X miles the jeep will not start. So, it could be that there is a link between what you experienced and the exhaust system (sensors, etc...)

OP
OP

CactusCharlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You know, now that you mention it, when your DEF fluid gets low the jeep will tell you that in X miles the jeep will not start. So, it could be that there is a link between what you experienced and the exhaust system (sensors, etc...)
Thanks Justin. Always thought it had something to do with the exhaust/DEF system, but the DEF tank was 7/8's full. Doesn't mean the sensor can't be tripped. Dealer is supposedly looking into this. Hope the issue is solved as I can't stay away from water!!!

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I mean if the code said EGR, much more likely that it was EGR than SCR/DEF. The EGR draws gas from both before the DPF and after the DPF with a valve post-DPF to create back pressure. Chances are one of the sensors for that system faulted from water exposure. It drives me absolutely insane that these things are programmed to enter limp mode just because a completely unnecessary exhaust treatment system isn’t running 100%. I honestly can’t wait for FCA and the EPA to get sued for it. FWIW, I covered every sensor under my rig with silicone tape when I got it and haven’t had an issue with well over 100 water crossings, many of which have approached the top of the hood. That said, I don’t blame anyone who ECU tunes these things to ensure some bogus limp mode never threatens their ability to get home.

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
I've crossed a few 2ft deep creeks, with rapids, without issue. Not that it really means anything but FWIW.

Did you verify all your fuses and relays were fully seated prior to the bath?

Sponsored

OP
OP

CactusCharlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean if the code said EGR, much more likely that it was EGR than SCR/DEF. The EGR draws gas from both before the DPF and after the DPF with a valve post-DPF to create back pressure. Chances are one of the sensors for that system faulted from water exposure. It drives me absolutely insane that these things are programmed to enter limp mode just because a completely unnecessary exhaust treatment system isn’t running 100%. I honestly can’t wait for FCA and the EPA to get sued for it. FWIW, I covered every sensor under my rig with silicone tape when I got it and haven’t had an issue with well over 100 water crossings, many of which have approached the top of the hood. That said, I don’t blame anyone who ECU tunes these things to ensure some bogus limp mode never threatens their ability to get home.
Thanks for the reasonable and logical response. I'll discuss with dealer when they get back to me.

OP
OP

CactusCharlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've crossed a few 2ft deep creeks, with rapids, without issue. Not that it really means anything but FWIW.

Did you verify all your fuses and relays were fully seated prior to the bath?
Never thought of checking them. No issues before the "bath" nor after after everything dried out.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I'm new to diesels. Anywhere you can point me to where the sensors are under my rig? And can you post any photos off what your the wrap looks like?

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
Never thought of checking them. No issues before the "bath" nor after after everything dried out.
Well definitely check them. Not saying that is what caused or led to this issue but EVERY single one of mine was not fully seated. I am not remotely alone in that either if you search around the forum.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I'm new to diesels. Anywhere you can point me to where the sensors are under my rig? And can you post any photos off what your the wrap looks like?
Anything with an electrical plug on it, at or below water level. I just take a piece of silicone tape and cover the junction of the two plug halves to back up the internal seals. If there is exposed insulated wire without a secondary sheath entering the plug I run the tape past the plastic plug onto the wires.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Anything with an electrical plug on it, at or below water level. I just take a piece of silicone tape and cover the junction of the two plug halves to back up the internal seals. If there is exposed insulated wire without a secondary sheath entering the plug I run the tape past the plastic plug onto the wires.
Thanks
Sponsored