Sponsored

3.0 Diesel stuck at 1000rpm after Tazer Jl Mini winch mode.

Coastalkid

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited Diesel
Thanks for the info. This worked for me. The latest update will cause your 3.0 to stay at 1000rpms after activating winch mode.

I took my jeep to the dealer to be fixed because I had to go on an out of state trip that next day, I knew I wouldn’t get any emails returned Sunday evening and wasn’t sure they had I fix for it.
They sent me these instructions to try but I haven’t tried the high idle mode again, I’m just gonna stay away from that for now. I did plug up my Tazer to change the tire size and then removed it so no one would accidentally hit both buttons at the same time to make it go into high idle.
Just let them know you’re still having issues with the 11.3.3 firmware, I told him thats the first and only firmware I have used and still had the issue. But they said the 11.3.3 firmware was still the fix anyway.
14C36324-5B6E-4BAD-B514-D64EBD5C1434.jpeg
Sponsored

SFDemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara EcoDiesel
I'm having the same problem, and it won't allow me to load the older version.

SFDemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well it looks like my tazer mini is defective. It is now flashing green and red and will not connect to any usb or vehicle. Looks like I may have had a bad model? Not sure.

Was the dealership ok with flashing the computer to get the idle back to normal? I am going to try and head in there tomorrow.
How did you resolve your issues? I have messaged Z Automotive but it is the weekend.

SFDemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I received emails from Z Automotive to try what is previously posted, and another file if that didn't update it. I had to use the supplied file and not what is available online, but it worked easily. I found them very responsive.

DamagingLime

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLUR Ecodiesel
I did exactly the same. Installed the file emailed to me and resolved the issue. Z automotive responded within the day and helped along the way.

Dealership was not helpful at all and not happy with how they treated me and wanted to charge $2-$3k for a new pcm…

Sponsored

DynamiteDaveSD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Hi Folks. I ran into the same issue today using firmware 11.3.3. Based on the previous information posted here and some additional experimentation, I managed to get get Winch mode to cancel properly. Here are the steps I took:
  • I tried to roll back the firmware to 11.2.4. It didn't work. I figured I'd send a request to the support team to wait for the special file, but decided to experiment some more.
  • I successfully managed to roll back to 11.3.2. That's the only one that didn't fail for me. Once that worked, I was then able to install 11.3.1 and then 11.3.0 and then 11.2.9. That's where it ended - I was unable to install 11.2.8.
  • I took a chance, connected the Tazer back to the Jeep and, without marrying it, tried to use Winch mode and then cancel it. It worked! I was idling normally after that. This told me that going all the way down to 11.2.4 was NOT necessary.
  • Naturally, I was curious if 11.2.9 was the highest version that would work. So, I upgraded back to 11.3.3 and it failed again (surprise!). I then went to 11.3.2 and it failed miserably. I could get into Winch mode, barely (lots of strange alphanumeric characters displayed instead of the words 'Winch Mode'), but I could not get out of it at all - the RPMs stayed at full Winch mode levels!
  • I then downgraded to 11.3.1 and all worked well - just like 11.2.9. So...that's where I left it. My overall conclusion is that something went awfully wrong with Winch mode in 11.3.2 and only got marginally better in 11.3.3.
  • I'm going to file a support case, with these details, right after this post. Clearly, we need Z Automotive to fix this properly so we can resume firmware upgrades going forward.
  • Thank you all for your previous posts. I'll let you know what I find out.

Last edited:

DynamiteDaveSD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Hi Folks. I ran into the same issue today using firmware 11.3.3. Based on the previous information posted here and some additional experimentation, I managed to get get Winch mode to cancel properly. Here are the steps I took:
  • I tried to roll back the firmware to 11.2.4. It didn't work. I figured I'd send a request to the support team to wait for the special file, but decided to experiment some more.
  • I successfully managed to roll back to 11.3.2. That's the only one that didn't fail for me. Once that worked, I was then able to install 11.3.1 and then 11.3.0 and then 11.2.9. That's where it ended - I was unable to install 11.2.8.
  • I took a chance, connected the Tazer back to the Jeep and, without marrying it, tried to use Winch mode and then cancel it. It worked! I was idling normally after that. This told me that going all the way down to 11.2.4 was NOT necessary.
  • Naturally, I was curious if 11.2.9 was the highest version that would work. So, I upgraded back to 11.3.3 and it failed again (surprise!). I then went to 11.3.2 and it failed miserably. I could get into Winch mode, barely (lots of strange alphanumeric characters displayed instead of the words 'Winch Mode'), but I could not get out of it at all - the RPMs stayed at full Winch mode levels!
  • I then downgraded to 11.3.1 and all worked well - just like 11.2.9. So...that's where I left it. My overall conclusion is that something went awfully wrong with Winch mode in 11.3.2 and only got marginally better in 11.3.3.
  • I'm going to file a support case, with these details, right after this post. Clearly, we need Z Automotive to fix this properly so we can resume firmware upgrades going forward.
  • Thank you all for your previous posts. I'll let you know what I find out.
An update on this:

The support team provided the same guidance and special 11.2.4 firmware file to me that they provided earlier in this thread. I was about to try it today, but then noticed that 11.3.4 was just released on 1/5 that claims to resolve the "issue with Winchmode on diesels not cancelling properly, this time for real." Haha, I guess the most recent support ticket got their attention.

Jeep Wrangler JL 3.0 Diesel stuck at 1000rpm after Tazer Jl Mini winch mode. 1641587861046

Well, I just upgraded to 11.3.4 to give this fix a try. Here's the good news: winchmode no longer keeps idle speeds high. The bad news, though, is that Winchmode doesn't work in the first place! Hmmm. Seems to me that Z Automotive doesn't have an actual Diesel JL to test on and their engineers THINK they fixed the problem, but didn't actually test it. I guess I'll report this latest twist to them and hope for an 11.3.5 drop that REALLY REALLY fixes the problem this time. I'll offer my Diesel JL to test a dev drop on if that will help...

Kurt R.

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler eco diesel
I installed my Tazer Jl mini yesterday morning. I started by updating the firmware to the latest version 11.3.3. I then installed it in my 3.0 wrangler, married it to the vehicle, performed a full reboot followed by two sleep cycles. I then went through the menu and changed the tire size and did another full reboot followed by two more sleep cycles. Tire size was the only setting I changed.
The jeep did fine all day then yesterday evening I decided to check out the winch mode for the first time. It raised the idle up to about 1500rpm then I canceled it after about 15 seconds. The idle never dropped below 1000rpm, I gave it a few more try’s with no success.
I then preformed another reboot, idle didn’t drop down past 1000rpm. I unmarried and did another reboot, no change. Re married & un married again, no change. Removed the tazer altogether no change. Went for a drive still would not drop down past 1000rpm, auto stop start would not activate either.
I took it to the dealer this morning for the high idle. The jeep had no trouble codes but they sent diagnostics to Chrysler engineers, they told the dealer a programmer had been used and told the dealer to reset the values (not sure what values they reset).

Jeep has ran great all day, just did a 4hour drive out of state and no issues so far. I’m afraid to reinstall the tazer mini, I only wanted it for tire recalibration and to disable auto start stop.
So just a heads up to all 3.0 owners. Could have just been a glitch but it had to be fixed by the dealer.

Edit: Z Automotive has a procedure to return the idle to normal.

Thanks for posting this. Have same problem. Juat starting to investigate. Will update my results also.

Kurt R.

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler eco diesel
An update on this:

The support team provided the same guidance and special 11.2.4 firmware file to me that they provided earlier in this thread. I was about to try it today, but then noticed that 11.3.4 was just released on 1/5 that claims to resolve the "issue with Winchmode on diesels not cancelling properly, this time for real." Haha, I guess the most recent support ticket got their attention.

Jeep Wrangler JL 3.0 Diesel stuck at 1000rpm after Tazer Jl Mini winch mode. 1641587861046

Well, I just upgraded to 11.3.4 to give this fix a try. Here's the good news: winchmode no longer keeps idle speeds high. The bad news, though, is that Winchmode doesn't work in the first place! Hmmm. Seems to me that Z Automotive doesn't have an actual Diesel JL to test on and their engineers THINK they fixed the problem, but didn't actually test it. I guess I'll report this latest twist to them and hope for an 11.3.5 drop that REALLY REALLY fixes the problem this time. I'll offer my Diesel JL to test a dev drop on if that will help...
Super appreciate your thorough info! Working through this now on my jl 2020 diesel. Thanks! Yeah you should get a spiff for all your testing!

Kurt R.

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler eco diesel
I got my tazer up to 11.3.4. Got same as dynamite Dave. Updated tazer. Full reboot. On off twice and it wouldn't idle down to 750 till I toggled winch mode.. then it went down. So I haven't touched a thing. Tire size is good. Other functions seem to be ok. I imagine we will see another bump shortly! Hands off till then for me! Thanks Dave!

Sponsored

SFDemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm just waiting, since I'm only actively using it for stop/start deactivation presently. I will be changing the tires and adding my winch and bumpers, so I'll want that fixed and then will be offroading some and could use the new features

DynamiteDaveSD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Support told me they’re still working on this. They’re sourcing a diesel JL so they can actually test :)

I'm just waiting, since I'm only actively using it for stop/start deactivation presently. I will be changing the tires and adding my winch and bumpers, so I'll want that fixed and then will be offroading some and could use the new features

Dbearded1der

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited Ecodiesel
I installed my Tazer Jl mini yesterday morning. I started by updating the firmware to the latest version 11.3.3. I then installed it in my 3.0 wrangler, married it to the vehicle, performed a full reboot followed by two sleep cycles. I then went through the menu and changed the tire size and did another full reboot followed by two more sleep cycles. Tire size was the only setting I changed.
The jeep did fine all day then yesterday evening I decided to check out the winch mode for the first time. It raised the idle up to about 1500rpm then I canceled it after about 15 seconds. The idle never dropped below 1000rpm, I gave it a few more try’s with no success.
I then preformed another reboot, idle didn’t drop down past 1000rpm. I unmarried and did another reboot, no change. Re married & un married again, no change. Removed the tazer altogether no change. Went for a drive still would not drop down past 1000rpm, auto stop start would not activate either.
I took it to the dealer this morning for the high idle. The jeep had no trouble codes but they sent diagnostics to Chrysler engineers, they told the dealer a programmer had been used and told the dealer to reset the values (not sure what values they reset).

Jeep has ran great all day, just did a 4hour drive out of state and no issues so far. I’m afraid to reinstall the tazer mini, I only wanted it for tire recalibration and to disable auto start stop.
So just a heads up to all 3.0 owners. Could have just been a glitch but it had to be fixed by the dealer.

Edit: Z Automotive has a procedure to return the idle to normal.

Dbearded1der

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited Ecodiesel
Same thing happened to me… what is the procedure to bring the idle to normal?

OP
OP
Marine2146

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
You can try the procedure suggested in post #21
Sponsored