3.0 Diesel release lottery

XAMfed

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
That time frame is late Q4, waiting on the EPA certs to come through. Ram DT still is not certified in Cali. Ram 1500 Classic is out now, but those are older engines.

to the best of my knowledge Jeep hasn't been certified either
What is your source?

I'm not doubting you, just curious.

I'm not convinced the hold up is EPA/CARB but it isn't outside the realm of possibility. My main reason is that when FCA was caught cheating with the last gen Ecodiesel, it was re-certified for sale in ~6-8 months. That seems like a reasonable turn around considering they were caught cheating so I have a hard time believing the Jeep multi-year delays are because the EPA is dragging their feet. I'm not even sure you call it a delay since FCA hasn't even officially confirmed the diesel is coming to the Wrangler AFAIK.

I'd also argue that just because the new engine doesn't have certification doesn't mean the EPA is the hold up. I would assume certification is one of the last things they'd file for when working on a new engine.

Source for re-certification timing: http://fcauthority.com/2017/08/fcas-ecodiesel-v6-epa-certified-for-the-2017-model-year/
I have a pretty good in........

California is the hold up, not the EPA. We are waiting on the California certification, and then will launch. Jeep is confirmed too.

20190814_091938.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Frostbit

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually

California is the hold up, not the EPA. We are waiting on the California certification, and then will launch. Jeep is confirmed too.

20190814_091938.jpg

Great!! We will all end up with a JL that has a big sticker on the dash that reads your Jeep may cause cancer.

XAMfed

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Great!! We will all end up with a JL that has a big sticker on the dash that reads your Jeep may cause cancer.
That made me laugh way to hard. :like:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0

20190814_091938.jpg
It’s high time companies like FCA/Jeep release vehicles that have not yet received CARB approval to the rest of the country. When the people of Kalifornia are deprived of popular vehicles while their state gendarmes drag their heels, maybe they’ll demand a change. As it stands now, we let CA drive the entire nation’s environmental policies in many cases, including emissions certification. Their CA-approved gun list doesn’t affect enough people to gain the negative press it deserves...do the same with cars/trucks and they’ll wise up right quick.

OP
OP
Frostbit

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s high time companies like FCA/Jeep release vehicles that have not yet received CARB approval to the rest of the country. When the people of Kalifornia are deprived of popular vehicles while their state gendarmes drag their heels, maybe they’ll demand a change. As it stands now, we let CA drive the entire nation’s environmental policies in many cases, including emissions certification. Their CA-approved gun list doesn’t affect enough people to gain the negative press it deserves...do the same with cars/trucks and they’ll wise up right quick.
Agreed! even back in the 60's and 70's CA demanded double snorkel air cleaners and the manufacturer provided the CA model without holding up the rest of the sane nation.

Now they are collectibles for heir rarity.

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
How long until the first recall on the POS?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'm not even sure you call it a delay since FCA hasn't even officially confirmed the diesel is coming to the Wrangler AFAIK
They officially announced a diesel Wrangler in November 2017 at JL launch in LA.

OilBurnerHoldOut

First Name
Richard (Rich)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Edge, 76 Yamaha xs 500, and 89 Honda PC800
Occupation
UPS Worldport 1DA
I'd be perfectly happy with an eco diesel that I can drive everywhere except California. :like:

Last edited:

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd

This times 1000.

Absolutely they should be doing this. I'm sick of California screwing over the rest of the nation.

Same with gun manufactures. Two things need to happen there. First no sales of anything not approved for citizens to LEO. Second, suck up the loss of sales and never resubmit a single model to the highly unconstitutional handgun roster.

Still blows my mind the roster hasn't gotten to SCOTUS yet.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This times 1000.

Absolutely they should be doing this. I'm sick of California screwing over the rest of the nation.

Same with gun manufactures. Two things need to happen there. First no sales of anything not approved for citizens to LEO. Second, suck up the loss of sales and never resubmit a single model to the highly unconstitutional handgun roster.

Still blows my mind the roster hasn't gotten to SCOTUS yet.
You must be a fan of the great Ronnie Barrett then.

Sponsored

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You must be a fan of the great Ronnie Barrett then.
I am very proud of Barret for having the Cahones to do what pretty much all other firearms companies are too scared to do.

OP
OP
Frostbit

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am very proud of Barret for having the Cahones to do what pretty much all other firearms companies are too scared to do.

What was that?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What was that?
He stopped selling all Barrett firearms to California state entities until the state lifts their ban on civilian ownership of the same firearms.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct, to explain the handgun roster with a car example.

Imagine California were to implement automotive rules akin to the existing handgun roster, they would choose something that is technically possible in small format, but totally unreliable, impossible to implement at scale for manufacturing, and cost prohibitive. Say for wild example, all new cars must have an exhaust treatment system that only emits pure oxygen.

I'm sure a scientist somewhere can create such a system, but its totally unrealistic, probably wouldn't even fit in the car, and in no way would be feasible at scale.

then take that rule and ban all new cars that don't meet the requirement. Require the few previous model year cars that 1 or 2 manufactures still make just to sell to California and require them to be re-certified every couple years for a ridiculous fee and if they don't submit take them off the approved list.

Oh and allow all the state agencies and LEO to purchase any cars they want regardless of if it meets the above rule or not.

That's the equivalent of the handgun roster. A slow rolling all out ban on handguns that implements the slippery slope automatically by requiring something no manufacture wants to or can implement. Then as firearms manufactures slowly abandon old models, and refuse to implement microstamping California can keep paring down the roster until nothing is left. Then the only thing anyone can buy is used and LEO and state is the only one with anything new.

In a move that shocked no one, the 9th circuit court decided that just because the state requires a mandate that is impossible to comply with it does not constitute a ban. They would likely keep the same opinion on any roster California may chose to make regarding cars in the future.

The equivalent of Barret's actions from a car standpoint in the scenario above would be that say Ford stopped selling all interceptor and fleet vehicles to any state or LEO agency in California.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

20190814_091938.jpg
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-emissions-idUSKBN1W224L

This would have been nice a year or two ago because by the time this makes it through the courts and Kalifornia has no more appeal options to save CARB’s current MO, the 3.0 will already be out with CARB and EPA certs. If anything, this may even delay certification if CARB starts diverting resources to fighting the feds in the short term.
Sponsored