Sponsored

3.0 Diesel Press Reviews

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Odd all the other reviews claim great acceleration. Car and driver claims 6.7seconds. But auto blog claims its super slow, 9 second range. Someone got their numbers off.

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Man, the C&D review makes me question my recent 3.6 JLR purchase for just a moment, until I realize no 2 door option. Sounds like a honey of an engine, and if I read correctly, every diesel gets the Dana 44 front and rears, with the Rubicon only adding lockers and sway bar disconnects. That’s a great addition.

The complaints on price are a bit hollow - this is realistically a $3500 option with typical discounts and I highly doubt anyone here is turning their nose up at this if they are already into a Wrangler. I mean, would you rather have the Diesel engine or the one touch sky roof? I could answer that easily, since the Bestop Sunrider gives you most of the fun at under $800.

if only they made it for the 2 door.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Odd all the other reviews claim great acceleration. Car and driver claims 6.7seconds. But auto blog claims its super slow, 9 second range. Someone got their numbers off.
So the one showing 6.7 said they did the 0-60 test at a track. If they are measuring uncompeting drag racing style. That is timer starts when the car starts moving rather than when driver punches it throttle delay would account for this

The new ram ecodiesel has around a 2 second throttle delay during which the truck barely moves but then flat scoots. So much so viewers though it stalled in the tfl video.

Sponsored

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Nice to see them getting 29-32 mpg on the highway. A lot of people said it couldn't be done and boy are they wrong.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
So the one showing 6.7 said they did the 0-60 test at a track. If they are measuring uncompeting drag racing style. That is timer starts when the car starts moving rather than when driver punches it throttle delay would account for this

The new ram ecodiesel has around a 2 second throttle delay during which the truck barely moves but then flat scoots. So much so viewers though it stalled in the tfl video.
I find this fascinating. Any idea why they would introduce a delay like that?

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
Physics, emissions tuning and drive by wire...the turbo needs to spool. Spooling requires fuel and if more fuel is used to try and spool faster you get the black smoke people freak out about.

Drive by wire is an issue across almost every modern vehicle...my 6 speed JLUR should have less lag since I have a manual but it's pretty bad. Really evident when blipping the throttle for rev matching.

Cheers

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
The 2014 - 2018s did it as well. I have a feeling it was done to save the transmission and limit the TQ output from a stop in 1st gear. All the aftermarket tunes either tuned it out or limited it drastically. It felt like a whooshing sensation as it rolled into the power.

Jeremi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKUR 5.7VVT
A friend has a Pedal Commander in his ED Ram 1500 and swears it is night and day difference.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
The 2014 - 2018s did it as well. I have a feeling it was done to save the transmission and limit the TQ output from a stop in 1st gear. All the aftermarket tunes either tuned it out or limited it drastically. It felt like a whooshing sensation as it rolled into the power.
That ZF 8HP can handle all of the 3.0’s torque and then some. These tunes are neutered for efficiency as a foremost concern. You don’t get 30mpg out of a high-clearance brick like a wrangler without making serious concessions for efficiency.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Excited for a tune for this that removes delay and punches up the power a bit. Maybe we could get a sub 6 second 0-60 wrangler
Sponsored