Sponsored

26 confirmed

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon eco diesel
Should I remove my Derringer tuner and PedalMonster before I get this done? do you think the dealership will care? I’m wondering if my Derringer will need to be updated due to the new fuel pump.

Deleted member 59498

Should I remove my Derringer tuner and PedalMonster before I get this done? do you think the dealership will care? I’m wondering if my Derringer will need to be updated due to the new fuel pump.
I would, just so I don't give them any reason to complain. Probably up to the dealer attitude though and if you have a relationship with them. I don't so wouldn't take a chance on it. Not sure about derringer but pedalmonster pretty quick removal.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
seems like not having it in there would be wise; i wouldn't worry about the dealer as much as i'd worry about what Corporate would say.

questions about Derringer updates would probably be best answered by Banks.

26 confirmed

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon eco diesel
I would, just so I don't give them any reason to complain. Probably up to the dealer attitude though and if you have a relationship with them. I don't so wouldn't take a chance on it. Not sure about derringer but pedalmonster pretty quick removal.
That’s what I figured, but I got big hands and it’s hard to get those connections off on the top of the engine.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Absolutely. I recently brought mine in for a regen issue. I removed just the Derringer and left the PM/iDash in place since they seemed harmless enough. Guess what? The dealer blamed the iDash; claiming that it was at fault. It was a Red Herring - they fixed my issue under warranty.

I can't imagine that the Derringer will know the difference between pumps.

As a side note: the Derringer/iDash/PM really perk up an already entertaining engine - doesn't it?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
That’s what I figured, but I got big hands and it’s hard to get those connections off on the top of the engine.
Amen Brother, but the learning curve will make you a champ after a few times. The trick is knowing EXACTLY what to push/pull (and how hard to push the tabs) to remove the two connections. Also, if you flip the hood all the way up to the windshield you'll have more room to get at them from above.

That said, leave the iDash/PM in place, as well as the cable between the Derringer and the PM. Just tuck it out of the way.

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
So I called a local dealer yesterday to schedule the emissions recall (Y81) and they said:

"There are 2 recalls on your vehicle:

Z96 – High Pressure Fuel Pump – replacement – “parts not released yet”

Y81 – DEF software update – this also changes the high-pressure fuel pump programing to match the recall pump above. We will perform this when we replace the fuel pump. We cannot perform it before."

I'm having a hard time believing that.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
So I called a local dealer yesterday to schedule the emissions recall (Y81) and they said:

Y81 – DEF software update – this also changes the high-pressure fuel pump programing to match the recall pump above. We will perform this when we replace the fuel pump. We cannot perform it before."

Yeah, that Y81 happened long before the oil pump recall. They probably want to do both at the same time so they can double charge some hours. Warranty claims are pretty fixed payouts. If they can do two at the same time they have less total labor but still get paid the standard rate.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
balderdash.

the DEF software update was performed on my '21 long before either of the HPFP recalls came out. i doubt that it has now changed to be related to the HPFP recall.

FWIW, i had a dealer tell me today they still have no idea what the Z96 is going to entail, and that they don't expect to find anything out until Q2 of '23.

EDITED; because i clearly had the wrong year listed,...!

Last edited:

Sponsored

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
My ‘22 was built after Nov 2021 and the pump failed at 4200 miles. The dealer replaced with same PN pump. This was a month ago…so anyone going in now to get it replaced will likely have the same old pump. I’d wait if yours is not causing any issues until they actually have a different pump to put in.

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
Yeah, that Y81 happened long before the oil pump recall. They probably want to do both at the same time so they can double charge some hours. Warranty claims are pretty fixed payouts. If they can do two at the same time they have less total labor but still get paid the standard rate.
balderdash.

the DEF software update was performed on my '21 long before either of the HPFP recalls came out. i doubt that it has now changed to be related to the HPFP recall.

FWIW, i had a dealer tell me today they still have no idea what the Z96 is going to entail, and that they don't expect to find anything out until Q2 of '22.
Agreed. These dealership service departments continue to provide a wealth of reasons not to trust them.

@jeepwave maybe you can clarify this issue for us?

UM_Ftown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 00 XJ
Has anyone checked to see if the part numbers for the fuel pumps in the effected years are different? Or was it same part number but damage or faulty pumps in that timeframe?

Like the year range was pretty specific, and if they're changing things like DEF usage makes me think it's an entire new pump.

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone know if it is expected to be a purely mechanical change, or will there be PCM changes along with it?

I need to know if I should wait to send my PCM off for the Green Diesel tune...

Wicked_JL

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR + half doors
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone know if it is expected to be a purely mechanical change, or will there be PCM changes along with it?

I need to know if I should wait to send my PCM off for the Green Diesel tune...
I doubt there will be any PCM change, i suspect this will be a purely mechanical change/upgrade

However.....

If they make a mechanical change, the pressure output might change.. and therefor you should probably wait with the tune until you have completed the swap to the newer part

What if the new pump has more pressure? ;) you dont want to leave any power on the table...
Sponsored