3” lift and driveshafts

Nickb2787

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Do I need to worry about driveshaft issues with a 3” lift?
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on shock length. 30” shocks will rip the driveshaft slip joint boot. Mine been tore off for about 5,000 miles. No biggie

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on shock length. 30” shocks will rip the driveshaft slip joint boot. Mine been tore off for about 5,000 miles. No biggie
This. Just make regular inspections, as you should before and after any trail run anyhow.

People rushing to buy a $500 shaft just to to clear some rubbing seems a bit silly. But... whateverz. Run it till it breaks.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
When I installed my Rancho 3.5" I specifically called and talked to the Rancho engineers who said absolutely not needed, stock is just fine, However make sure you include either adjustable control arms or Geo Brackets to align the caster.

The only one I saw that suggested it was Rough Country who know that could be just to sell more stuff.

Here is a thread about Sport and Sahara Lifts (non Rubicon)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ahara-only-lift-kit-thread-non-rubicon.20211/

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I encourage front ds on 3.5” lifts and above. They are relatively cheap insurance if you’re going to wheel. If it’s your daily driver and doesn’t get flexed out the stock one is fine. When we go on trips, we carry out stock for a backup. Takes about an hour to swap if things are hot.

Brett

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nickb2787

Nickb2787

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Thank you all for the quick input! I really appreciate it! The place I deal with is also calling the manufacturer to verify driveshaft angle and available caster plates. May just stick with 2.5”.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you all for the quick input! I really appreciate it! The place I deal with is also calling the manufacturer to verify driveshaft angle and available caster plates. May just stick with 2.5”.
It has little to do with lift height and more to do with shock down travel up front. The Mopar kit lifts closer to 3-3.5" but they use fairly short shocks up front. At a certain amount of down travel(Offroad, Flexing or on a lift) it will deform the alluminum joint housing on the driveshaft at the transfer case end eventually ripping the boot.

I've seen longer travel 2.5" kits cause the same damage to a driveshaft as 3.5" kits.

My JL driveshaft when I replaced it. Not torn, but you can see the damage to the housing.
20190623_090819~2.jpg

This is a JK shaft I replaced last week, but same style as the JL
20190615_143457~2.jpg
Sponsored