Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Teraflex makes a 2WD Low Range Kit for JKR's. In the good old days before failure prone solenoids, you'd manually shift the xfer case and not lock the hubs. I used to do that frequently in my 2008 F-250 (hard a hard time finding manual hubs in 2008) when backing up my trailer over a curb or steep incline. I plan on towing a 3,500 lbs boat 1.5 miles from my house to the harbor in my JLR. It would be nice on the concrete steep ramp to pull it out in 2wd low range. Another good reason is to air down, lock the rears, and go places stock 4x4's can't.

BTW, when we'd get our every 3 year snow in Seatt;e, half the old 4x4's with electronic hubs wouldn't engage because they hadn't been used in 3 years. Ditto for the electronic xfer case. Given everyone on this forum engages these systems regularly, there probably aren't many failures. The old manual hubs/xfer case are still more reliable. Now hand me the rotary phone.
Sponsored

OP
OP
J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
You can use a tazer JL mini to disable the fad and you’d have 2wd low
But then you'd have to taze it to get 4wd back, right? It's not like hubs that you can engage/disconnect.

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
You could use the tazer to disable the fad and then put a manual switch on it or wire it up to one of the aux switches.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Teraflex makes a 2WD Low Range Kit for JKR's. In the good old days before failure prone solenoids, you'd manually shift the xfer case and not lock the hubs. I used to do that frequently in my 2008 F-250 (hard a hard time finding manual hubs in 2008) when backing up my trailer over a curb or steep incline. I plan on towing a 3,500 lbs boat 1.5 miles from my house to the harbor in my JLR. It would be nice on the concrete steep ramp to pull it out in 2wd low range. Another good reason is to air down, lock the rears, and go places stock 4x4's can't.

BTW, when we'd get our every 3 year snow in Seatt;e, half the old 4x4's with electronic hubs wouldn't engage because they hadn't been used in 3 years. Ditto for the electronic xfer case. Given everyone on this forum engages these systems regularly, there probably aren't many failures. The old manual hubs/xfer case are still more reliable. Now hand me the rotary phone.
So are you saying that you need 2wd low because you can't use 4wd low to back a trailer up a few inches or a few feet over a curb or a steep incline? Then you need 2wd low to tow a boat 1.5 miles? For the life of me I don't understand why it would be nice to use 2wd low on a boat ramp to pull the boat out vs 4wd low? Are you saying that you think a 2wd low can go places that a 4wd 4x4 can't go?

I need help understanding this. Maybe remove your front drive shaft and make a video showing the benefits of 2wd low being beneficial.

Sponsored

OP
OP
J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
It's pretty rare but I've had a few occasions where I had to back up a trailer over a steep curb. With an automatic, high range is fine, but it's nice to have the low range option.

30 years ago when I had a stick, it was more useful. I guess I just got used to putting the xfer case in low and not locking the hubs. High range reverse, pushing over a curb or parking block, is hard on a clutch.

I mostly want to see how far I can crawl in 2WD, aired down, rear locked.

Last edited:

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Most boat ramps I’ve seen are generally slicker than two eels screwin’ in a bucket of snot. Why one would want a 2LOW kit for a boat ramp is beyond me, as well as using 2LOW for crawling.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
The boat ramps down here in Fla are awesome. All these big lifted 4x4s with monster tires spinning a wheel trying to figure out how to get their boat out. Its free entertainment just bring a beach chair.

OP
OP
J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Most boat ramps I’ve seen are generally slicker than two eels screwin’ in a bucket of snot. Why one would want a 2LOW kit for a boat ramp is beyond me, as well as using 2LOW for crawling.
Not the ramps here in Hawaii. I know several guys with older 4x4's and sticks that pull them out in low range. There can be a 6-8" drop in the water and you don't want to burn up your clutch.

In my Seattle house, I always put my F-250 in low range when I'm putting my trailer in the back yard. I need to back over a square curb. It's no strain, very low throttle in low range reverse. In high range, it needs to get the RPM fairly high before it jumps over the curb. Way more control in low range.

Just like I usually don't engage the front and rear lockers unless I need them, with 18.3" wide tires in the back aired down to 5 PSI, rear locked, I should be able to follow the stock non-Rubicon's aired down to 18 PSI.

But it's moot at this point as going to 1 tons so I'll have hubs. I posted this eons ago before I decide to go with one tons.

Firestarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
But then you'd have to taze it to get 4wd back, right? It's not like hubs that you can engage/disconnect.
you would just enable and disable the FAD through the tazer on board prompt. It’s easy. You could even lock the front diff to get 3 wheel drive LOL.

Sponsored

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel

Regarding the teraflex kit, do we not have the same t-case as the later JK Rubi? Is there any reason this won’t work in a JL Rubi?

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
Regarding the teraflex kit, do we not have the same t-case as the later JK Rubi? Is there any reason this won’t work in a JL Rubi?
Unfortunately the internal parts from the JK to JL/JT are different enough that our JK "2-Low" kit will not work in the newer transfer cases.

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Unfortunately the internal parts from the JK to JL/JT are different enough that our JK "2-Low" kit will not work in the newer transfer cases.
Thanks for that. Any plans for the JL?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
You can use a tazer JL mini to disable the fad and you’d have 2wd low
You could use the tazer to disable the fad and then put a manual switch on it or wire it up to one of the aux switches.
Have you guys actually tried this? Does it work with no major hiccups? I’ve thought about disabling the fad and testing out 2Low as a playful curiosity but have never actually tried to do it.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
The boat ramps down here in Fla are awesome. All these big lifted 4x4s with monster tires spinning a wheel trying to figure out how to get their boat out. Its free entertainment just bring a beach chair.
Given how drunk people typically are when they get done boating, you get all kinds of comical situations. I've seen people leave their truck in reverse and get out and watched their truck go right in the drink (I had a colleague at work do this as well). Or the guy who gives his car keys to his wife because he is "too drunk" to drive, but seems to not have a problem operating a boat.
Sponsored