Sponsored

2nd time out, 2021 diesel more issues , Round two!

OP
OP

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
What dealership? Smells very Autonation to me..
Castle Rock, Medved Autoplex or whatever they call themselves now a days. Although if autonation jeep is like autonation ford i suspect its the same.

Its back up at Johnson in brighton where i bought it. Those guys at least thus far have made an effort. They came to my house yesterday and picked it up dropped me off a loaner and said they found rear wheel speed sensor codes in it.

they were going to put something called a co-pilot in it this morning and try and capture some freeze frame data and see what the heck is going on. Until then i have a crappy cherokee to drive around but it was nice of them to at least do something.

I bought the jeep at Johnson because i TRIED to buy it from Medved, good luck! That place is a joke. The sales department was terrible. Offered me $5k less for my trade then Johnson did and full sticker on a JLUR-D. There service department has been terrible with my previous cherokee and my wifes jeep. I will not step foot in that shit hole. I suggest everyone avoid at all costs. So therefore i bought it at Johnson who seemed to give me a decent deal.

Will update this if i hear from Johnson today.

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
FWIW the cost argument literally applies to most vehicles. 2003 bmw m5 msrp was $70,400, 2021 $103,500. Go figure inflation puts it at $102,177 in 2021 dollars...

Also keep in mind EVERYTHING costs substantially more now. With the UAW's ever increasing demands increasing labor related wages, raw material price increasing, fuel/electricity cost increases for the manufacturing and transportation of said goods, ever increasing reliance on injection molded plastics in manufacturing despite petroleum costs rising, new and much more tech implementation(hell the tj didn't even have canbus), more powertrain options, much larger/more heavy duty parts, etc. All of said costs 100% will be put on the buyer of the product, not the company, as any profitable company should do.

I get what you are saying, I do. However don't kid yourself man, this isn't just some "greedy corporation" ripping people off. The price increase is a multi-faceted issue.

Then all of that is beside the fact that whatever it costs, it holds it's value. Go buy a 70k merc or bmw and see what it is worth in 5 years, then do the same with a 70k jeep. Bet you make out substantially better with the jeep🤷‍♂️

OP
OP

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
FWIW the cost argument literally applies to most vehicles. 2003 bmw m5 msrp was $70,400, 2021 $103,500. Go figure inflation puts it at $102,177 in 2021 dollars...

Also keep in mind EVERYTHING costs substantially more now. With the UAW's ever increasing demands increasing labor related wages, raw material price increasing, fuel/electricity cost increases for the manufacturing and transportation of said goods, ever increasing reliance on injection molded plastics in manufacturing despite petroleum costs rising, new and much more tech implementation(hell the tj didn't even have canbus), more powertrain options, much larger/more heavy duty parts, etc. All of said costs 100% will be put on the buyer of the product, not the company, as any profitable company should do.

I get what you are saying, I do. However don't kid yourself man, this isn't just some "greedy corporation" ripping people off. The price increase is a multi-faceted issue.

Then all of that is beside the fact that whatever it costs, it holds it's value. Go buy a 70k merc or bmw and see what it is worth in 5 years, then do the same with a 70k jeep. Bet you make out substantially better with the jeep🤷‍♂️
If it lasts 5 years you mean

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I disagree: FCA does show unbound levels of greed.

Ten years ago FCA set out to elevate Jeep transaction prices to Land Rover levels. It invested in higher grade interior materials, better fit and finish, and added a bunch of comfort and convenience features. But FCA has not lifted one finger to improve the atrocious customer service, in making sure defects get caught before vehicles leave the plant, in training dealers, etc. Under Chrysler it was common to get spare parts within 24 hours; under FCA everything now takes weeks. CDJR dealers have actually fallen in the rankings over the past 7-8 years to the bottom of the industry.

Sorry, but they can’t have it both ways. If they want to charge luxury prices, they need to deliver a luxury experience, period.

Charging a lot more money without actually bothering to deliver on the higher expectations that come from those higher prices is the premise of good ole corporate greed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I disagree: FCA does show unbound levels of greed.

Ten years ago FCA set out to elevate Jeep transaction prices to Land Rover levels. It invested in higher grade interior materials, better fit and finish, and added a bunch of comfort and convenience features. But FCA has not lifted one finger to improve the atrocious customer service, in making sure defects get caught before vehicles leave the plant, in training dealers, etc. In fact, CDJR dealers have actually fallen in the rankings over the past 7-8 years to the bottom of the industry. Under Chrysler it was common to get spare parts within 24; under FCA everything now takes weeks.

Sorry, but they can’t have it both ways. If they want to charge luxury prices, they need to deliver a luxury experience, period.

Charging a lot more money without actually bothering to deliver on the higher expectations that come from those higher prices is the premise of good ole corporate greed.

This is EXACTLY my point.

@JeepCares

That still has not even bothered to contact me.
Well said

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
well my reply is pointless.. however, if you could completely disassemble the jeep and then check every wire and every connection, at some point you would find a bad connection or a grounded connection or both. and fix it. its that simple. but the process is anything but simple. what the dealers do i suppose is hook it to a computer and rely on it to tell them were the problem is or take it on a short drive and see if the issue appears.

a relative went on a trip. at some point he refilled his gas tank and got back on the interstate where it started stuttering and then stopped. restarted and started to drive and it did the same thing. took it to a mechanic, checked into a motel for three days while the mechanic checked everything he could think of. at first they thought it was water in the gas from the recent fill up. after three days i get a call. i tell my relative, 'its an electrical short or bad wire'. he goes back to the mechanic, who traces a wire underneath and finds its stretched and some of the cover scratched off and is touching some part of the body and ground out. fixed it and off he went.

i only suggested this because i had recently been working on a car and moved the ground wire for the ecu and was driving and the car started shuddering and jerking. since i had just changed that one thing thats what i checked and it was the issue. if i had not done so, i would have assumed all sorts of horrors.

the point im making is that i bet your jeep is has a bad connection somewhere, probably just one and that one thing is totally destroying the vehicle and the dealer most likely only relies on computer diagnostics which most likely is not going to help him find that one thing.

vehicles have become very complicated. their electronics are the most complicated part but the manufacturing and support for these systems, including diagnostics, has not kept up.

what would be useful would to have the wiring harness easily accessible throughout the entire chassis, so that you could check it from one end to the other, especially each plug and also determine some port of the harness was grounded out.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Sorry for your troubles. So far, so good with my JLURD. Even too it off-road with rocker deep mud/water. That said I still say a small prayer every time I push the button to turn it on. I'm not used to not having a key.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As appalled as I am with the atrocious dealer service, and by the stories of brand-new JLs having all sorts of electrical issues, the fact is my Sahara has been relatively trouble free —knock on wood!

Having said that, my JL shows ocasional electronic gremlins: today the backup lines weren’t there; two days ago the CEL came on for a couple hours until it self-corrected; a couple of months ago lost all audio while driving, no radio, no pandora, no navigation guidance, nothing; next day everything was back to normal. More often than not, the blind spot monitor disables itself when the shaking starts on a trail.

So far everything has self-corrected every time.

The Selec-Trac shifter has come off 4A on its own two or three times. That I had to manually re-engage.

We all know going to the dealer is a big waste of time for the most part. It doesn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy for the day the warranty ends in another year-and-a-half.

QC22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURR
My opinion is that with the multiple threads on this issue, that this has nothing to do with diesel. My JLURR has had these issues as well. I have been in the vehicle service business my entire career. I'm 61. This needs OEM support. Dealers have to make money. They can't make money with their thumbs up their arse. It is very simple.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
My opinion is that with the multiple threads on this issue, that this has nothing to do with diesel. My JLURR has had these issues as well. I have been in the vehicle service business my entire career. I'm 61. This needs OEM support. Dealers have to make money. They can't make money with their thumbs up their arse. It is very simple.
As appalled as I am with the atrocious dealer service, and by the stories of brand-new JLs having all sorts of electrical issues, the fact is my Sahara has been relatively trouble free —knock on wood!

Having said that, my JL shows ocasional electronic gremlins: today the backup lines weren’t there; two days ago the CEL came on for a couple hours until it self-corrected; a couple of months ago lost all audio while driving, no radio, no pandora, no navigation guidance, nothing; next day everything was back to normal. More often than not, the blind spot monitor disables itself when the shaking starts on a trail.

So far everything has self-corrected every time.

The Selec-Trac shifter has come off 4A on its own two or three times. That I had to manually re-engage.

We all know going to the dealer is a big waste of time for the most part. It doesn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy for the day the warranty ends in another year-and-a-half.
I agree it’s unlikely it’s diesel related
It’s jeep related and they have no interest in helping

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
But FCA has not lifted one finger to improve the atrocious customer service, in making sure defects get caught before vehicles leave the plant, in training dealers, etc.
I don't know if Land Rover is the best comparison. The guys over at TFL had to return 2 Defenders before they got one that drove for more than a couple thousand miles. And they are getting PR/Influencer treatment.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if Land Rover is the best comparison. The guys over at TFL had to return 2 Defenders before they got one that drove for more than a couple thousand miles. And they are getting PR/Influencer treatment.
Sergio Marchionne himself made the Land Rover comparison publicly.

Yes, I saw all the drama TFL had with its three little pigs...err Defenders. And I agree: they truly go out of their way to say good things about that Land Rover Defender. They seem to have forgotten the inconvenient fact that NO private individual would receive THREE vehicles after the first two died.

If nothing else, it speaks of levels of customer service totally unheard of at FCA.

phranque1673

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue
Just my 2 cents, but this sounds like a ground issue. It could be the main body ground is loose. This would cause all sorts of electrical gremlins and codes after hitting a hard bump. Might be worth checking all body grounds for a loose one.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Castle Rock, Medved Autoplex or whatever they call themselves now a days. Although if autonation jeep is like autonation ford i suspect its the same.

Its back up at Johnson in brighton where i bought it. Those guys at least thus far have made an effort. They came to my house yesterday and picked it up dropped me off a loaner and said they found rear wheel speed sensor codes in it.

they were going to put something called a co-pilot in it this morning and try and capture some freeze frame data and see what the heck is going on. Until then i have a crappy cherokee to drive around but it was nice of them to at least do something.

I bought the jeep at Johnson because i TRIED to buy it from Medved, good luck! That place is a joke. The sales department was terrible. Offered me $5k less for my trade then Johnson did and full sticker on a JLUR-D. There service department has been terrible with my previous cherokee and my wifes jeep. I will not step foot in that shit hole. I suggest everyone avoid at all costs. So therefore i bought it at Johnson who seemed to give me a decent deal.

Will update this if i hear from Johnson today.
Former Evergreen resident here. After getting my vehicle back from Medved service, I once found a half-eaten burrito dripping juice into my GC’s (leather) rear seats.
Sponsored

Last edited: