Sponsored

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
For oil filters in dumb places like that, I use heavy duty aluminum foil and build a little slide to drain the oil into. You can always mold the shape to work around any obstruction and keep everything clean.
Sponsored

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
For oil filters in dumb places like that, I use heavy duty aluminum foil and build a little slide to drain the oil into. You can always mold the shape to work around any obstruction and keep everything clean.
You are right. Once lifted it will have more clearance….

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried Castrol edge full syn? Our 07 Rubicon liked it better than mobile 1, royal purple or valvoline (full syn)
I remember when non syn pennzoil left the most sludge . What are you using currently?
Have been using Castrol edge 0w20 for my 2018 3.6 since new and been fine. Always available on Amazon and cheap. Currently using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 0W-40. It’s recommended by srt and listed on owner’s manual as well.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Same

Yaak392

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep Rubicon 392
Have been using Castrol edge 0w20 for my 2018 3.6 since new and been fine. Always available on Amazon and cheap. Currently using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 0W-40. It’s recommended by srt and listed on owner’s manual as well.
The dealership changed the oil at 2200 miles. (This week) They put in that Pennzoil. Now the engine makes a slightly different sound. (Sounds like a belt squeak) I've just ordered Castrol and as soon as I get it I am going to change it. Just don't care for Pennzoil. But I love that 392!

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe this is a dumb question.. I've never seen the underside of the 392. Is that some cast aluminum part/sump hanging down like that?

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
If you mean the silver box where the oil is draining below, that's the bottom of the oil pan (it hangs fairly low).
Wow, and it's aluminum? Someone needs to design a skidplate for that.. and quick!

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, and it's aluminum? Someone needs to design a skidplate for that.. and quick!
cast aluminum or stamp sheet metal wasn’t the problem. Hanging super low and have a huge even lower drain plug is the problem.

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I had my first oil change from my dealer at 2,000, had them put in full syn, Pennzoil, every 3,500 after that, have the v6.
I did my axels at 10,000, the rear was black and dirty, front was lite brown.

ValkyrieFalling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
He's better off not doing that. That drain plug alone is just aching to be hit and ruin that cast aluminum oil pan. The oil he mentioned getting on stuff isn't from draining the oil, it's from the oil filter removal since it holds quite a bit of oil. I would use a punch or something similar to put a small 1/4 inch hole in the bottom of the filter and use a funnel to direct that into a drain pan if needed. That's how the pros do canister oil filters on some semi trucks and other heavy equipment.

What’s the best way to puncture the filter?

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
What’s the best way to puncture the filter?
I've used long punches or even a screwdriver. Use a hammer to hammer it through the metal of the filter just enough to get the oil to drain out of it. I've not done this on the Jeep 392 so I can't say best location to put the hole.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
cast aluminum or stamp sheet metal wasn’t the problem. Hanging super low and have a huge even lower drain plug is the problem.
There are a few companies who make low profile oil pans with drain plugs on the side for the 6.4l. Probably something I will end up getting at some point.